Feb 24, 2011, 1:47 PM EDT
Just days after making that blockbuster trade that sent offensive defenseman Alex Goligoski to the Dallas Stars for James Neal and Matt Niskanen, the Pittsburgh Penguins might feel obligated to look into the trade market for a blueliner. That’s because the Penguins will be without the death stare of hard-hitting defenseman Brooks Orpik for about four weeks, according to Shelly Anderson of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. Orpik broke his hand while blocking a shot during last night’s game against the San Jose Sharks.
Adding another defenseman isn’t mandatory for the Penguins by any means, but it will be difficult to plug the hole left by the rugged defenseman. Orpik is the team leader in hits with 177 and averaged a career high 20:52 minutes per game so far this season.
This big blow comes at a tough time, as the team is about to begin a five-game road trip.
On the bright side, Anderson reports that a handful of injured Penguins could return for tonight’s game against the Carolina Hurricanes. Forwards Mark Letestu and Dustin Jeffrey are probable, but the most important potential return might come in the form of $5 million defenseman Paul Martin.
- Dale Hunter: Ovechkin isn’t going to win the Selke, but he’s ‘coachable’ 3
- Voynov case: D.A. wants ‘additional follow-up’ from police before deciding on charges 10
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins 73
- Video: Pittsburgh pays tribute to Ottawa tragedy with O Canada rendition 15
- Video: McKenzie talks latest from Ottawa shootings, Voynov investigation 0
- WATCH LIVE: Pittsburgh vs. Philly on Rivalry Night 3
- Wild, Coyle agree on five-year contract extension 16
- The Flyers ‘have Mason’s back’ 9
- Postponed: NHL to reschedule Sens-Leafs in wake of Ottawa shootings 35
- NHL monitoring situation in Ottawa 23
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (77)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)