Feb 24, 2011, 1:47 PM EDT
Just days after making that blockbuster trade that sent offensive defenseman Alex Goligoski to the Dallas Stars for James Neal and Matt Niskanen, the Pittsburgh Penguins might feel obligated to look into the trade market for a blueliner. That’s because the Penguins will be without the death stare of hard-hitting defenseman Brooks Orpik for about four weeks, according to Shelly Anderson of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. Orpik broke his hand while blocking a shot during last night’s game against the San Jose Sharks.
Adding another defenseman isn’t mandatory for the Penguins by any means, but it will be difficult to plug the hole left by the rugged defenseman. Orpik is the team leader in hits with 177 and averaged a career high 20:52 minutes per game so far this season.
This big blow comes at a tough time, as the team is about to begin a five-game road trip.
On the bright side, Anderson reports that a handful of injured Penguins could return for tonight’s game against the Carolina Hurricanes. Forwards Mark Letestu and Dustin Jeffrey are probable, but the most important potential return might come in the form of $5 million defenseman Paul Martin.
- Two years after winning the Cup, the Kings’ ‘mix’ comes into question 1
- Duck drama: Selanne to sit as healthy scratch in Game 4 11
- MacKinnon, Johnson and Palat named Calder Trophy finalists 9
- Sharks beat Kings in OT, take 3-0 stranglehold on series 40
- Rangers chase Emery, top Flyers for 2-1 series lead 56
- Bruins dominate Red Wings, take 2-1 series lead 48
- And then there were 15: Lightning eliminated 84
- WATCH LIVE: San Jose Sharks at Los Angeles Kings (Game 3) 2
- Bettman says shootouts are staying, gives salary cap estimate 37
- Video: Yeo asked if Cooke told to ‘target’ Avs, does not like question 57
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (153)
- Bad luck strikes twice: Lightning goal waved off, Stamkos takes knee to head (127)
- Keith doesn’t remember if he taunted Backes after Seabrook hit (125)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (118)
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh (113)