Feb 24, 2011, 1:06 PM EST
Bob McKenzie reports that the Pittsburgh Penguins acquired Alexei Kovalev in a trade with the Ottawa Senators moments ago. The Senators will receive a conditional draft pick in the deal, as they’ll gain a seventh rounder at worst or a sixth round pick if Pittsburgh wins at least one playoff series and Kovalev appears in 50 percent of their games (also according to McKenzie).
If there’s one fan base that still has mostly rosy memories of the talented but crucially flawed right wing, it would be Penguins fans. After all, the Russian winger achieved a career-high 95 point season with the Pens during the 2000-01 season and developed great chemistry on a line with Robert Lang and Martin Straka.
Now it’s important to note that was a long time ago. The team was eventually forced to trade him in February 2003 thanks to a money-related exodus that began the club’s most recent spiral into financial crisis.
Kovalev isn’t the player he once was, but he could pay off to a degree if the Penguins play him in protected situations. That means plenty of power play minutes, no penalty kill time and lots of easy matchups. Kovalev scored 14 goals and 27 points in 54 games in 2010-11. His contract will expire this summer, so it’s a fairly low-risk rental for GM Ray Shero.
- Video: Nyquist scores OT winner on incredible individual effort 0
- Video: Ovechkin crushes Letang, Capitals cruise by the Penguins 1
- Video: Prout, Lucic drop the gloves in highly anticipated scrap 46
- Video: NHL on NBC panel breaks down the coaching situation in New Jersey 2
- Lou Lamoriello unveils highly unorthodox coaching plan 37
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks, Kings renew hostilities 3
- NHL on NBCSN: Can Capitals take advantage of depleted Penguins? 2
- Team Canada crushes Slovakia 14
- Criticism spreads to GM Lou Lamoriello after Devils fire DeBoer 10
- Eichel earns assist and scores in shootout as U.S. squeaks by Finland 2
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (76)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Video: Prout, Lucic drop the gloves in highly anticipated scrap (46)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)