Feb 24, 2011, 1:06 PM EDT
Bob McKenzie reports that the Pittsburgh Penguins acquired Alexei Kovalev in a trade with the Ottawa Senators moments ago. The Senators will receive a conditional draft pick in the deal, as they’ll gain a seventh rounder at worst or a sixth round pick if Pittsburgh wins at least one playoff series and Kovalev appears in 50 percent of their games (also according to McKenzie).
If there’s one fan base that still has mostly rosy memories of the talented but crucially flawed right wing, it would be Penguins fans. After all, the Russian winger achieved a career-high 95 point season with the Pens during the 2000-01 season and developed great chemistry on a line with Robert Lang and Martin Straka.
Now it’s important to note that was a long time ago. The team was eventually forced to trade him in February 2003 thanks to a money-related exodus that began the club’s most recent spiral into financial crisis.
Kovalev isn’t the player he once was, but he could pay off to a degree if the Penguins play him in protected situations. That means plenty of power play minutes, no penalty kill time and lots of easy matchups. Kovalev scored 14 goals and 27 points in 54 games in 2010-11. His contract will expire this summer, so it’s a fairly low-risk rental for GM Ray Shero.
- Vanquished: Isles stun Canucks with seven-goal third period 14
- Peverley asked to return to game following ‘cardiac event’ 15
- Peverley hospitalized, conscious after collapsing on Stars bench (Update) 13
- Sens’ Ceci won’t return after Weber’s shot lacerates his ear (Update) 7
- Gillis pleads his case: ‘We are enduring a challenging period’ 22
- Nolan gets a game for punching ‘unsuspecting’ Joensuu 37
- It doesn’t sound like 3-on-3 overtime is going to be a thing 38
- Blues finish night on top of NHL standings after shootout win 15
- Kings’ Nolan gets double-minor for punching Oilers’ Joensuu 54
- Extended overtime likely to be on agenda in GMs’ March meeting 42
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (70)
- Report: Flyers table ‘substantial offer’ for Kesler, also inquiring about Edler (59)