Feb 24, 2011, 11:44 AM EST
The Tampa Bay Lightning and Anaheim Ducks exchanged goalies today in a trade that sent Dan Ellis to the California in exchange for Curtis McElhinney.
Although Ellis experienced some growing pains as he tried (and ultimately failed) to win the starting job in Tampa Bay, it seems like a “win” on paper for the Ducks. Especially if the Ellis acquisition was made mandatory by growing concerns about Jonas Hiller’s health.
Yet it’s important to look at this deal beyond the “on paper” value, although perhaps it’s just a matter of what type of paper you’re looking at. When it comes down to money, the Lightning essentially cleared Ellis off the cap for the 2011-12 season (he’ll make $2 million in salary and will be a $1.5 million cap hit) since Curtis McElhinney‘s $535K per season expires in July. Lightning GM Steve Yzerman decided that Ellis won’t be a part of their starting rotation in the future, so he gave the team flexibility to sign another goalie (or two) this summer while adding flexibility to sign Steven Stamkos to a restricted free agent deal.
As if it wasn’t obvious already, this solidifies the fact that Dwayne Roloson will be Tampa’s go-to goalie for the rest of the season, barring another move. The aging veteran also has a contract that will expire this season, indicating that the Lightning might be a big player in the free agent goalie market in July (Tomas Vokoun, anyone?).
McElhinney is 6-9-1 with a 89 save percentage and 3.43 goals against average in 21 games played for the Ducks this season. Ellis is 13-7-6 with an 88.9 save percentage and 2.93 GAA in 31 appearances for the Lightning in 10-11. Yet it’s overall NHL experience where Ellis trumps McElhinney, as the former Predators backup has 63 career wins compared to only 15 for McElhinney.
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 2
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 16
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 58
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 28
- Trotz doesn’t see a ‘big, sexy, difference-maker guy’ on the market 16
- What’s up with the reports of problems in the Blackhawks’ room? 40
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight 81
- Lombardi happy to get ‘one of the better defenseman on the market’ in Sekera 3
- NHL on NBCSN: Wild need two points from NHL-leading Preds 21
- Video: Potential No. 1 overall pick Connor McDavid goes end-to-end, top shelf 9
- Leafs’ Rielly apologizes for insensitive remarks (86)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Chiarelli understands scrutiny on GM and coach, but says, ‘It’s unfortunate that we’re under review for one year’ (69)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (65)