Feb 23, 2011, 1:37 PM EDT
USA Today’s Kevin Allen points out that a handful of players were placed on waivers today, as Nikolai Zherdev, Craig Rivet, Marek Svatos, Ales Kotalik and Jeremy Colliton head the list. (H/T to Kristopher Martel.) Let’s take a quick look at the players.
Zherdev: At least one blogger believes that Philadelphia Flyers coach Peter Laviolette has a serious distaste for the Russian winger. He’s on a one-year deal with an annual cap hit of $2 million, so it’s possible someone will make a claim.
Rivet: Mike Harrington writes that the Buffalo Sabres still owe him $850,000 for this season. The team’s captain slipped all the way down to eight on the defensive depth chart, so his days as a Sabre seem to be over.
Svatos: The Predators snatched the former Colorado Avalanche forward from the St. Louis Blues on waivers, but they seem to have had enough with him. It might be an odd move since Nashville is banged up at forward, though.
Kotalik: Calgary keeps trying to waive Kotalik, but no one is interested in paying him for the rest of this season and $3 million in 2011-12. Odd, I know.
Colliton: The 26-year-old New York Islanders forward is making $500K for the season. His cheapness might make him more appealing, but he’s likely to clear waivers anyway.
There’s a reason these players were placed on waivers: each one of them have serious flaws. We’ll let you know if any teams claim them.
- Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4 12
- WATCH LIVE: Rangers at Lightning, Game 4 of Eastern Conference Final 6
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 38
- All eyes on Lundqvist 10
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 12
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 30
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 39
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 48
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 26
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)