Feb 23, 2011, 1:37 PM EDT
USA Today’s Kevin Allen points out that a handful of players were placed on waivers today, as Nikolai Zherdev, Craig Rivet, Marek Svatos, Ales Kotalik and Jeremy Colliton head the list. (H/T to Kristopher Martel.) Let’s take a quick look at the players.
Zherdev: At least one blogger believes that Philadelphia Flyers coach Peter Laviolette has a serious distaste for the Russian winger. He’s on a one-year deal with an annual cap hit of $2 million, so it’s possible someone will make a claim.
Rivet: Mike Harrington writes that the Buffalo Sabres still owe him $850,000 for this season. The team’s captain slipped all the way down to eight on the defensive depth chart, so his days as a Sabre seem to be over.
Svatos: The Predators snatched the former Colorado Avalanche forward from the St. Louis Blues on waivers, but they seem to have had enough with him. It might be an odd move since Nashville is banged up at forward, though.
Kotalik: Calgary keeps trying to waive Kotalik, but no one is interested in paying him for the rest of this season and $3 million in 2011-12. Odd, I know.
Colliton: The 26-year-old New York Islanders forward is making $500K for the season. His cheapness might make him more appealing, but he’s likely to clear waivers anyway.
There’s a reason these players were placed on waivers: each one of them have serious flaws. We’ll let you know if any teams claim them.
- So…what do the Oilers do now? 6
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall 97
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup playoff action 6
- Tarasenko’s hat trick has the Wild singing the Blues 12
- Bishop records first career playoff win as Lightning even series with Red Wings 3
- Hartley fined $50,000 after brawl between Flames and Canucks 20
- Blackhawks’ Darling gets the nod for Game 3 22
- Watch Live: Bolts, Blues look to even up their respective series 0
- Preds’ Weber not travelling to Chicago 15
- Report: Flames requested a review of Engelland’s instigator 17
- Stone suffered microfracture on Subban slash, Sens confirm (102)
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) (98)
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (96)
- Report: Players growing tired of Darryl Sutter (94)
- Bruins fire Chiarelli after missing playoffs (75)