Feb 23, 2011, 2:37 AM EDT
We know you get a little bit tweaked any time there’s a game featuring more than one of the Staal brothers. After all, you can’t help but have your attention being brought to the fact that they grew up together and now they get to face off against each other.
Last night, Carolina’s Eric Staal showed younger brother Marc that while he might be a forward, he can still hit like a big man. Late in the second period, Marc was carrying the puck up the boards and his older brother taught him a lesson that didn’t involve being served a noogie or a wedgie but instead ended up being a monstrous shoulder-to-shoulder check that put Marc down on the ice.
On first glance it looked like it was a potentially questionable hit, but being the good brother he was, he merely hit him with a huge, clean check. Marc Staal did leave the game with an injury, but coach John Tortorella said afterward that it wasn’t a head injury but rather one to his knee that he suffered in the first period. So much for that angle on the story. Anyhow, you came here for the video and we’ve got it for you. We’re pretty sure that Mrs. Staal won’t approve of her boys playing so rough with each other.
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 100
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 77
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (100)
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance (95)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (77)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (40)
- Poll: Will Kessel score 40? (38)