Feb 23, 2011, 2:37 AM EDT
We know you get a little bit tweaked any time there’s a game featuring more than one of the Staal brothers. After all, you can’t help but have your attention being brought to the fact that they grew up together and now they get to face off against each other.
Last night, Carolina’s Eric Staal showed younger brother Marc that while he might be a forward, he can still hit like a big man. Late in the second period, Marc was carrying the puck up the boards and his older brother taught him a lesson that didn’t involve being served a noogie or a wedgie but instead ended up being a monstrous shoulder-to-shoulder check that put Marc down on the ice.
On first glance it looked like it was a potentially questionable hit, but being the good brother he was, he merely hit him with a huge, clean check. Marc Staal did leave the game with an injury, but coach John Tortorella said afterward that it wasn’t a head injury but rather one to his knee that he suffered in the first period. So much for that angle on the story. Anyhow, you came here for the video and we’ve got it for you. We’re pretty sure that Mrs. Staal won’t approve of her boys playing so rough with each other.
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 0
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 9
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 53
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 24
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 18
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 16
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 60
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)