Feb 23, 2011, 2:37 AM EDT
We know you get a little bit tweaked any time there’s a game featuring more than one of the Staal brothers. After all, you can’t help but have your attention being brought to the fact that they grew up together and now they get to face off against each other.
Last night, Carolina’s Eric Staal showed younger brother Marc that while he might be a forward, he can still hit like a big man. Late in the second period, Marc was carrying the puck up the boards and his older brother taught him a lesson that didn’t involve being served a noogie or a wedgie but instead ended up being a monstrous shoulder-to-shoulder check that put Marc down on the ice.
On first glance it looked like it was a potentially questionable hit, but being the good brother he was, he merely hit him with a huge, clean check. Marc Staal did leave the game with an injury, but coach John Tortorella said afterward that it wasn’t a head injury but rather one to his knee that he suffered in the first period. So much for that angle on the story. Anyhow, you came here for the video and we’ve got it for you. We’re pretty sure that Mrs. Staal won’t approve of her boys playing so rough with each other.
- Captain no more: Sharks strip Thornton of ‘C’ 28
- Tank defense: NHL changes up Draft Lottery format 41
- Fanspeak: Clarke voted greatest Flyer in franchise history 29
- Different tune: Moore hasn’t settled with Bertuzzi, says brother 26
- Rangers win Kevin Hayes sweepstakes 25
- It’s Philadelphia Flyers Day at PHT 59
- Kovalev compares Subban to Leetch, says he isn’t worth the money 49
- Under pressure: Rick Nash 9
- Wang sells Isles to ex-Caps owner Ledecky 41
- Report: MLSE CEO Leiweke to step down (Update: Leiweke denies move) 6