Feb 23, 2011, 2:37 AM EDT
We know you get a little bit tweaked any time there’s a game featuring more than one of the Staal brothers. After all, you can’t help but have your attention being brought to the fact that they grew up together and now they get to face off against each other.
Last night, Carolina’s Eric Staal showed younger brother Marc that while he might be a forward, he can still hit like a big man. Late in the second period, Marc was carrying the puck up the boards and his older brother taught him a lesson that didn’t involve being served a noogie or a wedgie but instead ended up being a monstrous shoulder-to-shoulder check that put Marc down on the ice.
On first glance it looked like it was a potentially questionable hit, but being the good brother he was, he merely hit him with a huge, clean check. Marc Staal did leave the game with an injury, but coach John Tortorella said afterward that it wasn’t a head injury but rather one to his knee that he suffered in the first period. So much for that angle on the story. Anyhow, you came here for the video and we’ve got it for you. We’re pretty sure that Mrs. Staal won’t approve of her boys playing so rough with each other.
- Video: Raanta shuts out flat Flyers in emergency start 2
- Video: Flyers’ Jones lays out Smith, called for charging 6
- Video: Islanders’ Hickey cut after taking a skate to the face 1
- (Video) McKenzie: NHLPA ‘entirely on board’ with Voynov suspension 9
- If allegations are true, will Kings welcome Voynov back into their ‘special’ group? 33
- Rutherford on Fleury: ‘As long as I’m the GM, he’ll be our goalie’ 15
- Datsyuk will play tonight in Montreal 4
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers take on ‘Hawks in Chicago 9
- Jets’ Maurice apologizes for using the F-bomb at a reporter 30
- Video: Oilers win…? Oilers win! 3
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)