Feb 23, 2011, 10:00 AM EST
Aside from the occasional night off – or the even less common instance when a save or goal isn’t deemed worthy – the gang at PHT will decide which tally or stop is the best of any given night. Once those two winners are determined, we’ll share our reasoning (and most importantly, the video clip for each) in posts for your viewing pleasure.
San Jose’s Antti Niemi found many ways to frustrate the Detroit Red Wings last night, but in the waning seconds of the game his stop on Johan Franzen was the last straw. Franzen gathered the puck and with a pile of players in front of him, he wheeled around the pile looking to catch Niemi off guard and stuff it in the net. Niemi, instead, reacted instinctively and went with the play make a last second leg save on Franzen’s attempt.
Making this video all the more worthwhile for our save of the night is the reaction of the fan you can see in the foreground raising his hands awaiting the goal only to end up shaking in frustration and disbelief. We don’t get into the act of pointing and laughing at fans, but let’s just say that’s some really intense caring about the game. Hopefully someone got that guy a beer after the game.
- Columbus puts Bobrovsky (groin) on IR, out 4-5 weeks 1
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Olympic odds, Russia’s defense, King Henrik’s new deal, Fire Cappy? and more 27
- With Lundqvist deal done, Sather faces tough questions 11
- King of New York: Rangers sign Lundqvist to seven-year, $59.5 million extension 39
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks 51
- Report: NHL set to finally pay Gretzky at least $7M 13
- Kadri out as falling Leafs start tough stretch vs. Sharks 9
- Wounded Wings: Zetterberg (back) out, joins Datsyuk on shelf 7
- Burrows out with broken jaw (Update: expected to miss at least four weeks) 22
- NHL on NBCSN: Can battered, slumping Stars rise above Blackhawks? 8
- Video: Canucks’ Bieksa fights Rangers’ Boyle, then kicks Boyle’s helmet (52)
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks (51)
- King of New York: Rangers sign Lundqvist to seven-year, $59.5 million extension (39)
- Islanders embarrassed in fifth consecutive loss (33)
- ‘Don’t ruin a good thing,’ says Don Cherry after historic Rogers-NHL deal (32)