Feb 23, 2011, 10:00 AM EDT
Aside from the occasional night off – or the even less common instance when a save or goal isn’t deemed worthy – the gang at PHT will decide which tally or stop is the best of any given night. Once those two winners are determined, we’ll share our reasoning (and most importantly, the video clip for each) in posts for your viewing pleasure.
San Jose’s Antti Niemi found many ways to frustrate the Detroit Red Wings last night, but in the waning seconds of the game his stop on Johan Franzen was the last straw. Franzen gathered the puck and with a pile of players in front of him, he wheeled around the pile looking to catch Niemi off guard and stuff it in the net. Niemi, instead, reacted instinctively and went with the play make a last second leg save on Franzen’s attempt.
Making this video all the more worthwhile for our save of the night is the reaction of the fan you can see in the foreground raising his hands awaiting the goal only to end up shaking in frustration and disbelief. We don’t get into the act of pointing and laughing at fans, but let’s just say that’s some really intense caring about the game. Hopefully someone got that guy a beer after the game.
- Arbitration filed: Holtby, Nyquist & Stepan highlight list released by NHLPA 10
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 12
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 11
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 22
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 24
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 74
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 28
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 (74)