Feb 23, 2011, 10:00 AM EDT
Aside from the occasional night off – or the even less common instance when a save or goal isn’t deemed worthy – the gang at PHT will decide which tally or stop is the best of any given night. Once those two winners are determined, we’ll share our reasoning (and most importantly, the video clip for each) in posts for your viewing pleasure.
San Jose’s Antti Niemi found many ways to frustrate the Detroit Red Wings last night, but in the waning seconds of the game his stop on Johan Franzen was the last straw. Franzen gathered the puck and with a pile of players in front of him, he wheeled around the pile looking to catch Niemi off guard and stuff it in the net. Niemi, instead, reacted instinctively and went with the play make a last second leg save on Franzen’s attempt.
Making this video all the more worthwhile for our save of the night is the reaction of the fan you can see in the foreground raising his hands awaiting the goal only to end up shaking in frustration and disbelief. We don’t get into the act of pointing and laughing at fans, but let’s just say that’s some really intense caring about the game. Hopefully someone got that guy a beer after the game.
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers won’t fool with Penguins on Rivalry Night 8
- ‘Could’ve broken his neck,’ says Vigneault of Byfuglien cross check on Miller 55
- Video: Byfuglien gets away with ugly cross check, penalized late in Jets loss to Rangers 32
- Video: Lucic scores late winner, Bruins deal crushing blow to Panthers playoff hopes 9
- Video: Ovi becomes sixth player in history to record six 50-goal seasons 17
- ‘Almost like a game seven tonight’ for Bruins, Panthers 15
- Report: Warrant issued for Deveaux’s arrest following Swedish league attack 48
- How bad are things for the Kings after Monday? 22
- Lightning clinch playoff berth, but did they lose Hedman? 9
- Blackhawks tease good injury news for Kane 8