Feb 23, 2011, 10:00 AM EDT
Aside from the occasional night off – or the even less common instance when a save or goal isn’t deemed worthy – the gang at PHT will decide which tally or stop is the best of any given night. Once those two winners are determined, we’ll share our reasoning (and most importantly, the video clip for each) in posts for your viewing pleasure.
San Jose’s Antti Niemi found many ways to frustrate the Detroit Red Wings last night, but in the waning seconds of the game his stop on Johan Franzen was the last straw. Franzen gathered the puck and with a pile of players in front of him, he wheeled around the pile looking to catch Niemi off guard and stuff it in the net. Niemi, instead, reacted instinctively and went with the play make a last second leg save on Franzen’s attempt.
Making this video all the more worthwhile for our save of the night is the reaction of the fan you can see in the foreground raising his hands awaiting the goal only to end up shaking in frustration and disbelief. We don’t get into the act of pointing and laughing at fans, but let’s just say that’s some really intense caring about the game. Hopefully someone got that guy a beer after the game.
- Ryan agrees to seven-year, $50.75 million extension 6
- Julien thinks diving crackdown is ‘step in the right direction’ 37
- Holland doesn’t see Babcock deal by start of season 10
- Risk Factors: Pittsburgh Penguins edition 4
- PHT Morning Skate: Flyers bringing back Ice Girls 15
- Dillon’s agent: Discussions with Stars are ‘frustrating and disappointing’ 7
- NHL shoots down Tkachev’s contract with Edmonton 9
- NHL Board of Governors approves Islanders sale 6
- Johansen, Blue Jackets talks haven’t just resumed, they’re ‘very polite’ 15
- Speedy recovery: Giroux (lower body) to play vs. Rangers tonight 12
- Julien thinks diving crackdown is ‘step in the right direction’ (37)
- Players pushed for coaching fines because they were ‘encouraged’ to dive (34)
- Reinhart admits frustration; time running out to make Sabres? (25)
- Canucks waive Markstrom as Shinkaruk, Jensen continue to impress (23)
- Filip Forsberg has scored two thirds of the Preds’ preseason goals (21)