Feb 23, 2011, 10:00 AM EDT
Aside from the occasional night off – or the even less common instance when a save or goal isn’t deemed worthy – the gang at PHT will decide which tally or stop is the best of any given night. Once those two winners are determined, we’ll share our reasoning (and most importantly, the video clip for each) in posts for your viewing pleasure.
San Jose’s Antti Niemi found many ways to frustrate the Detroit Red Wings last night, but in the waning seconds of the game his stop on Johan Franzen was the last straw. Franzen gathered the puck and with a pile of players in front of him, he wheeled around the pile looking to catch Niemi off guard and stuff it in the net. Niemi, instead, reacted instinctively and went with the play make a last second leg save on Franzen’s attempt.
Making this video all the more worthwhile for our save of the night is the reaction of the fan you can see in the foreground raising his hands awaiting the goal only to end up shaking in frustration and disbelief. We don’t get into the act of pointing and laughing at fans, but let’s just say that’s some really intense caring about the game. Hopefully someone got that guy a beer after the game.
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 41
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 24
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 10
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 40
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 40
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 58
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (70)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs (45)