Feb 23, 2011, 6:18 PM EST
Last night, Phoenix’s Scottie Upshall delivered a violent hit to Flyers defenseman Oskars Bartulis, injuring him and knocking him out of the game. (See YouTube video here) Upshall received two minutes for boarding on the play and while it seemed somewhat unassuming in that it didn’t look like your typical awful hockey hit, the league felt differently.
Today the NHL suspended Upshall for two games for the hit. As far as dangerous hits go, this one certainly does qualify. Bartulis was in a bad position for it and Upshall used his leverage against him to throw him into the boards.
As for what Upshall’s take on it was, he was pretty open about the play and regretted it as he shared on Twitter.
While Upshall didn’t have any intention of injuring Bartulis, it turns out that’s exactly what happened as TSN’s Bob McKenzie tweets that Bartulis is injured for the remainder of the season. Bartulis was in the lineup because Sean O’Donnell was out with a knee injury he suffered on Sunday against the Rangers.
Fortunately for Philly, O’Donnell should be back soon but they’ll be shorthanded in the meantime. That means Philly is back on the market in the hunt for another defenseman. Good thing the trade deadline is coming up.
- Video: Canucks honor Quinn with “O Danny Boy” 7
- Video: Stars’ Klingberg scores from center ice 4
- Report: Alfredsson retirement to be announced Dec. 4 7
- On the odds of fighting back after Thanksgiving 7
- Why are the Oilers still bad? Look at their drafting 21
- The Leafs are worth almost seven times the Panthers, says Forbes 20
- Isles make some history; Are the Flyers headed for trouble? 43
- Crosby, Malkin power Penguins, help Fleury grab 300th win 7
- Sooner than later? Bruins GM hopes Chara can return in 10-14 days 1
- With worst save percentage in NHL, Oilers fire goalie coach 22
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (99)
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (88)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (79)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Bruins’ Lucic expected to play against Habs after getting one-punched (Updated) (47)