Feb 23, 2011, 6:18 PM EST
Last night, Phoenix’s Scottie Upshall delivered a violent hit to Flyers defenseman Oskars Bartulis, injuring him and knocking him out of the game. (See YouTube video here) Upshall received two minutes for boarding on the play and while it seemed somewhat unassuming in that it didn’t look like your typical awful hockey hit, the league felt differently.
Today the NHL suspended Upshall for two games for the hit. As far as dangerous hits go, this one certainly does qualify. Bartulis was in a bad position for it and Upshall used his leverage against him to throw him into the boards.
As for what Upshall’s take on it was, he was pretty open about the play and regretted it as he shared on Twitter.
While Upshall didn’t have any intention of injuring Bartulis, it turns out that’s exactly what happened as TSN’s Bob McKenzie tweets that Bartulis is injured for the remainder of the season. Bartulis was in the lineup because Sean O’Donnell was out with a knee injury he suffered on Sunday against the Rangers.
Fortunately for Philly, O’Donnell should be back soon but they’ll be shorthanded in the meantime. That means Philly is back on the market in the hunt for another defenseman. Good thing the trade deadline is coming up.
- In praise of the Hamburglar 0
- Leafs’ Panik latest to be fined for diving 0
- Video: Zidlicky’s first goal with Detroit gives Red Wings OT win over Rangers 30
- Video: P.K. Subban illustrates hockey instincts through GoPro camera perspective 5
- Video: Lundqvist could be back in 10 to 14 days 7
- Isles’ Martin suspended one game for ‘reckless’ knee on Daley 12
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 23
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 50
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 39
- NHL on NBCSN: Reloaded Red Wings, Rangers set to battle tonight 51
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)