Feb 23, 2011, 6:18 PM EDT
Last night, Phoenix’s Scottie Upshall delivered a violent hit to Flyers defenseman Oskars Bartulis, injuring him and knocking him out of the game. (See YouTube video here) Upshall received two minutes for boarding on the play and while it seemed somewhat unassuming in that it didn’t look like your typical awful hockey hit, the league felt differently.
Today the NHL suspended Upshall for two games for the hit. As far as dangerous hits go, this one certainly does qualify. Bartulis was in a bad position for it and Upshall used his leverage against him to throw him into the boards.
As for what Upshall’s take on it was, he was pretty open about the play and regretted it as he shared on Twitter.
While Upshall didn’t have any intention of injuring Bartulis, it turns out that’s exactly what happened as TSN’s Bob McKenzie tweets that Bartulis is injured for the remainder of the season. Bartulis was in the lineup because Sean O’Donnell was out with a knee injury he suffered on Sunday against the Rangers.
Fortunately for Philly, O’Donnell should be back soon but they’ll be shorthanded in the meantime. That means Philly is back on the market in the hunt for another defenseman. Good thing the trade deadline is coming up.
- Stars win one night after Peverley collapse, give Miller first Blues loss 3
- Crosby, Pens continue recent dominance of Ovechkin, Caps 19
- Terry Trafford’s body found in Michigan on Tuesday 8
- PHT Extra: What happens if the Caps miss the playoffs? 17
- Wings can’t afford regulation loss to Jackets 6
- ‘It’s obvious Tortorella can’t come back next year,’ writes Vancouver reporter 57
- NHL on NBCSN: Capitals fight to earn first win vs. Penguins in 26 months 11
- Vanquished: Isles stun Canucks with seven-goal third period 27
- Peverley asked to return to game following ‘cardiac event’ 23
- Peverley hospitalized, conscious after collapsing on Stars bench (Update) 19
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (71)
- Chiasson ‘shaken up’ by Peverley incident, won’t dress for Stars tonight (69)
- Flyers’ Luke Schenn on first-period brawl: ‘That’s the way it goes’ (57)