Feb 23, 2011, 1:11 PM EDT
Call it a side effect of the rigors of life as an NHL coach or just too much aspirin, but Chicago Blackhawks’ coach Joel Quenneville got a scare last week. He missed a handful of games behind the team’s bench due to an ulcer that was causing gastrointestinal bleeding, but the mustachioed bench boss returned to coach the team’s practice today.
CSN Chicago’s Tracey Myers caught up with Quenneville to get his thoughts on coming back. It’s good to see the coach was in good spirits.
“I was on IR for a week. We’ll call it an upper body injury and we’re all good to go,” said Quenneville, who added he watched “every second” of all four games he missed.
The team played pretty well with assistant coach Mike Haviland in charge, going 3-1-0 during Quenneville’s hiatus. Still, the team will be glad to have Coach Q back as they are in a four-way tie for eighth place in the West at 68 points. Chicago’s next game is Thursday against the Nashville Predators.
Much like Dan Bylsma in Pittsburgh and Bruce Boudreau in Washington, the Hawks made a big leap when they changed to Quenneville. The team is 125-66-25 during his tenure.
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 4
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 13
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 5
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 24
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 9
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 8
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 28
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (62)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)