Feb 23, 2011, 1:11 PM EST
Call it a side effect of the rigors of life as an NHL coach or just too much aspirin, but Chicago Blackhawks’ coach Joel Quenneville got a scare last week. He missed a handful of games behind the team’s bench due to an ulcer that was causing gastrointestinal bleeding, but the mustachioed bench boss returned to coach the team’s practice today.
CSN Chicago’s Tracey Myers caught up with Quenneville to get his thoughts on coming back. It’s good to see the coach was in good spirits.
“I was on IR for a week. We’ll call it an upper body injury and we’re all good to go,” said Quenneville, who added he watched “every second” of all four games he missed.
The team played pretty well with assistant coach Mike Haviland in charge, going 3-1-0 during Quenneville’s hiatus. Still, the team will be glad to have Coach Q back as they are in a four-way tie for eighth place in the West at 68 points. Chicago’s next game is Thursday against the Nashville Predators.
Much like Dan Bylsma in Pittsburgh and Bruce Boudreau in Washington, the Hawks made a big leap when they changed to Quenneville. The team is 125-66-25 during his tenure.
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now 22
- Dallas signs Jason Spezza to four-year, $30 million extension 10
- Video: Ovechkin with an unreal dangle, scores game-winner 14
- Video: Avs’ Tanguay takes Ovechkin shot to the face (Updated) 4
- Video: Lindros and LeClair inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame 12
- BREAKING: Voynov charged with felony for domestic violence 31
- NHL responds to concussion lawsuit, says players should have ‘put two and two together’ 40
- (Video) PHT Extra: Carlyle’s on the hot seat, Hartley’s riding high 0
- Hextall launched profanity-laced tirade against Flyers last night 34
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him 56
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (56)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)
- After Voynov suspension, Lombardi wonders if teams need a ‘cushion’ in case a player is a ‘bank robber, kleptomaniac’ (51)
- Video: Malkin runs over Girardi (Updated) (41)
- NHL responds to concussion lawsuit, says players should have ‘put two and two together’ (40)