Feb 23, 2011, 1:11 PM EDT
Call it a side effect of the rigors of life as an NHL coach or just too much aspirin, but Chicago Blackhawks’ coach Joel Quenneville got a scare last week. He missed a handful of games behind the team’s bench due to an ulcer that was causing gastrointestinal bleeding, but the mustachioed bench boss returned to coach the team’s practice today.
CSN Chicago’s Tracey Myers caught up with Quenneville to get his thoughts on coming back. It’s good to see the coach was in good spirits.
“I was on IR for a week. We’ll call it an upper body injury and we’re all good to go,” said Quenneville, who added he watched “every second” of all four games he missed.
The team played pretty well with assistant coach Mike Haviland in charge, going 3-1-0 during Quenneville’s hiatus. Still, the team will be glad to have Coach Q back as they are in a four-way tie for eighth place in the West at 68 points. Chicago’s next game is Thursday against the Nashville Predators.
Much like Dan Bylsma in Pittsburgh and Bruce Boudreau in Washington, the Hawks made a big leap when they changed to Quenneville. The team is 125-66-25 during his tenure.
- Bruins can’t hold Ducks off, suffer sixth loss in a row 18
- Ticket punched: Rangers become first team to clinch 2015 playoff berth 6
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT 30
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 18
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 28
- Hextall insists he’s ‘on the same page’ with Snider 15
- Krejci ‘probable’ to return versus Ducks 10
- Flyers announce Simmonds, MacDonald done for the season with injuries 18
- Video: Flyers crush Blackhawks, Voracek joins league lead in points 11
- Report: Draft Lottery to be held on Apr. 18 14
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)
- Dubnyk leads Wild past Isles in SO, earns 10th straight road win (44)