Feb 23, 2011, 12:48 PM EDT
Who knows if he’ll actually get a start out of this, but even if it’s just a symbolic move, it’s still great to see that Ray Emery will dress in an NHL game again. NHL.com reports that the Anaheim Ducks recalled Emery from the AHL’s Syracuse Crunch today to serve as a backup.
It’s hard to believe that it’s only been about a year since Emery was forced to undergo surgery on a hip injury that left many wondering if his playing days would be over. In fact, word is that Emery’s hip issues were similar to the ones that sent multi-sport icon Bo Jackson into retirement.
Emery is showing some impressive courage in fighting back from the injury and it seems like the read is “so far, so good.” He went 2-1-0 with the Crunch, with an impressive 92.6 save percentage and 2.62 Goals Against Average.
We’ll let you know if he eventually gets a full-fledged start, but either way, it’s an impressive story.
(Ray Emery photo via The Associated Press.)
- Playoffs Tonight: Penguins aim to finish off Senators 12
- Kings’ Quick ‘didn’t have to work hard’ in shutout win over Sharks 7
- Discuss: Kings dominate Game 5, one win away from Western Conference final 20
- Discuss: Red Wings take 3-1 series lead 59
- Discuss: Rangers stay alive with OT win 84
- What they’re saying about the Avs hiring Patrick Roy 6
- It’s official: Colorado names Roy sixth head coach in franchise history 52
- Couture accuses Kings captain Brown of diving 38
- Three reasons why the Rangers might buy out Richards 26
- Richards made a healthy scratch for Game 4 35
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting (113)
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? (101)
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead (99)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (95)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Live Extra: Watch coverage of Carb Day at Indy
- PHT: Senators fight for playoff lives in Game 5
- Struggling Blackhawks on brink of elimination
- PHT: Wings push Blackhawks to brink | Highlights
- PHT: Kreider keeps Rangers alive | Highlights
- PHT: Kings defend home ice, up 3-2 | Highlights
- PBT: Hibbert says Battier's knee to groin intentional