Feb 23, 2011, 12:48 PM EDT
Who knows if he’ll actually get a start out of this, but even if it’s just a symbolic move, it’s still great to see that Ray Emery will dress in an NHL game again. NHL.com reports that the Anaheim Ducks recalled Emery from the AHL’s Syracuse Crunch today to serve as a backup.
It’s hard to believe that it’s only been about a year since Emery was forced to undergo surgery on a hip injury that left many wondering if his playing days would be over. In fact, word is that Emery’s hip issues were similar to the ones that sent multi-sport icon Bo Jackson into retirement.
Emery is showing some impressive courage in fighting back from the injury and it seems like the read is “so far, so good.” He went 2-1-0 with the Crunch, with an impressive 92.6 save percentage and 2.62 Goals Against Average.
We’ll let you know if he eventually gets a full-fledged start, but either way, it’s an impressive story.
(Ray Emery photo via The Associated Press.)
- Subban: Contract in arbitrator’s hands now 14
- Flyers’ Mason broke his right pinky finger playing ball hockey 23
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame 64
- It’s back! PHT’s Team of the Day summer series starts tomorrow 9
- Pens sign Spaling — two years, $4.4 million 13
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 32
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 18
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 47
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 59
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame (64)
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (59)
- Poll: Is Drew Doughty the best defenseman in the world? (56)
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million (47)