Feb 23, 2011, 12:48 PM EST
Who knows if he’ll actually get a start out of this, but even if it’s just a symbolic move, it’s still great to see that Ray Emery will dress in an NHL game again. NHL.com reports that the Anaheim Ducks recalled Emery from the AHL’s Syracuse Crunch today to serve as a backup.
It’s hard to believe that it’s only been about a year since Emery was forced to undergo surgery on a hip injury that left many wondering if his playing days would be over. In fact, word is that Emery’s hip issues were similar to the ones that sent multi-sport icon Bo Jackson into retirement.
Emery is showing some impressive courage in fighting back from the injury and it seems like the read is “so far, so good.” He went 2-1-0 with the Crunch, with an impressive 92.6 save percentage and 2.62 Goals Against Average.
We’ll let you know if he eventually gets a full-fledged start, but either way, it’s an impressive story.
(Ray Emery photo via The Associated Press.)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head 124
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller 95
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 107
- Lecavalier out 3-4 weeks with non-displaced fracture in back 8
- Islanders players hold closed-door meeting after ninth straight loss 14
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand 89
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) 87
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand 69
- Penguins announce Brooks Orpik ‘alert and conscious’ (Updated) 47
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ 78
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (180)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (128)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (126)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (113)
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller (96)