Feb 23, 2011, 5:15 PM EDT
The job Thrashers general manager Rick Dudley has done this year in turning around the team that dealt away Ilya Kovalchuk last year has been very apparent. After all, Atlanta was given up for dead before the season began and after Dudley picked up the likes of Andrew Ladd and Dustin Byfuglien from Chicago in the off-season it was curious to see where they’d end up.
As it turns out new coach Craig Ramsay was able to get things together quickly and the Thrashers are a threat to make the playoffs this year after making them just once in franchise history. With that sort of immediate turnaround thanks in part to Dudley’s wheeling and dealing, it’s only fair that the Thrashers rewarded him with a four-year contract extension.
Dudley was the guy who helped build both Tampa Bay and Chicago’s Stanley Cup winning teams and for him to get things in Atlanta turned around as fast as he has is a huge sign that he knows what he’s doing. The key for Atlanta now is to have a bit of patience. Dudley is tying up loose ends now in getting Byfuglien and Ladd signed to contract extensions with Byfuglien already getting his locked up while the team continues to work on getting Ladd’s finished.
Whether the team makes the playoffs this year or not, the foundation is set with those two players, goalie Ondrej Pavelec and youngsters Evander Kane and Alexander Burmistrov. Building on that will be huge for Atlanta provided they can put all the insanity of the ownership being a mess aside and ignore talk of potential relocation aside. Dudley’s job is made tougher because of all that but if there’s a guy that can adjust to it, it’s him.
- Kings’ Quick ‘didn’t have to work hard’ in shutout win over Sharks 4
- Discuss: Kings dominate Game 5, one win away from Western Conference final 14
- Discuss: Red Wings take 3-1 series lead 35
- Discuss: Rangers stay alive with OT win 68
- What they’re saying about the Avs hiring Patrick Roy 6
- It’s official: Colorado names Roy sixth head coach in franchise history 46
- Couture accuses Kings captain Brown of diving 38
- Three reasons why the Rangers might buy out Richards 26
- Richards made a healthy scratch for Game 4 35
- Don Cherry: Canucks GM Gillis threw coaches ‘under the bus’ 28
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting (113)
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? (101)
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead (99)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (95)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Watch LIVE: Sharks-Kings, Game 5
- PHT: Wings push Hawks to brink of elimination
- PHT: Kreider keeps Rangers alive | Highlights
- PBT: Hibbert says Battier's knee to groin intentional
- OlyTalk: Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- CSN: Francona returns to Boston | Legacy?
- Posnanski: Hornets more than a name to Charlotte
- Play Video: Highlights: Kings beat Sharks, take series lead
- Play Video: Brown takes out goalie Niemi
- Play Video: Demers commits reckless penalty
- Play Video: Demers slashes Doughty, but no call made
- Play Video: Niemi robs Carter to preserve tie
- Play Video: Highlights: Wings take 3-1 series lead over 'Hawks