Feb 23, 2011, 4:00 PM EDT
Seizing an opportunity when it’s presented to you can be what makes you an everyday NHL starter and say a guy like the recently waived Nikolay Zherdev. For Washington’s Matt Hendricks after being let go by the Colorado Avalanche, getting a shot to make a name for himself in Washington was an opportunity he couldn’t pass up and he’s made the most of it turning into the Caps main energy line guy and feisty fighter.
That’s why the news today that the Caps signed Hendricks to a two-year extension isn’t the least bit surprising. Hendricks is having his best season as a pro in his third year in the league with seven goals and 12 assists. His 84 penalty minutes are also a career high as is his ice time average of over 11 minutes a game. Coach Bruce Boudreau has been very comfortable with playing him this season and the extra effort he puts into playing each shift has made him a bit of a cult hero in D.C. There’s also that whole thing from HBO’s 24/7 that had him showing off his gruesome eye injury that endeared him to hockey fans everywhere.
The Washington Post’s Katie Carrera confirms that the extension is two years for $1.6 million, a cap hit of $800,000 per year. The Caps have got themselves a young energy line guy locked up for two more seasons now and if they can figure out a way to get their top players to give as much effort as Hendricks puts out in his time on the ice, the Caps might be close to unbeatable. Here’s to hoping that hard work rubs off on the rest of the room to help the Caps score some more goals heading into the playoffs.
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 0
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 12
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 10
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)