Feb 23, 2011, 9:25 PM EDT
Add another name to the list of the walking wounded for the Pittsburgh Penguins. With about two minutes left in the 1st period, Brooks Orpik took a puck off the hand while trying to block a shot off the stick of Patrick Marleau. He left the ice shaking his hand and immediately headed to the locker room. After the intermission and a 20-minute delay due to a lighting problem at the CONSOL Energy Center, he still was nowhere to be found.
Ironic that the Pens would lose yet another player to injury on the same night they welcomed James Neal and Matt Niskanen. Orpik’s injury is just the latest in a string of injuries the Penguins have dealt with lately. Evgeni Malkin, Sidney Crosby, Chris Kunitz, and Paul Martin were all out of the line-up against the Sharks and only Martin is day-to-day.
Starting play in the 2nd period, newcomer Niskanen was playing on the top-pairing with Norris-Trophy candidate Kris Letang. Obviously Dan Bylsma will have even more juggling to do with losing one of the best defenseman on his roster.
We’ll post an update as soon as we have one.
- Arbitration filed: Holtby, Nyquist & Stepan highlight list released by NHLPA 6
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 12
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 11
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 22
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 24
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 73
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)