Feb 23, 2011, 9:25 PM EDT
Add another name to the list of the walking wounded for the Pittsburgh Penguins. With about two minutes left in the 1st period, Brooks Orpik took a puck off the hand while trying to block a shot off the stick of Patrick Marleau. He left the ice shaking his hand and immediately headed to the locker room. After the intermission and a 20-minute delay due to a lighting problem at the CONSOL Energy Center, he still was nowhere to be found.
Ironic that the Pens would lose yet another player to injury on the same night they welcomed James Neal and Matt Niskanen. Orpik’s injury is just the latest in a string of injuries the Penguins have dealt with lately. Evgeni Malkin, Sidney Crosby, Chris Kunitz, and Paul Martin were all out of the line-up against the Sharks and only Martin is day-to-day.
Starting play in the 2nd period, newcomer Niskanen was playing on the top-pairing with Norris-Trophy candidate Kris Letang. Obviously Dan Bylsma will have even more juggling to do with losing one of the best defenseman on his roster.
We’ll post an update as soon as we have one.
- WATCH LIVE: Lightning at Rangers, Eastern Conference Final Game 7 6
- The Ducks got Kesler for a game like Saturday’s 30
- Your Lightning-Rangers Game 7 officials are… 1
- Duchene slams Russian players for storming off after Canada’s 2015 WHC win 53
- DeBoer predicts ‘big bounce-back’ in San Jose 12
- Sabres name Bylsma head coach 46
- Lundqvist on Game 7: ‘You’re definitely nervous, but it comes down to teamwork’ 18
- Report: Bylsma to Sabres being held up by compensation issue 56
- Stanley Cup Final to begin June 3 10
- Caps’ Backstrom undergoes arthroscopic hip surgery 6
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (77)
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks (66)
- Report: Bylsma to Sabres being held up by compensation issue (56)
- On Kreider, and trying ‘to turn the other cheek’ (54)
- Duchene slams Russian players for storming off after Canada’s 2015 WHC win (53)