Feb 23, 2011, 9:25 PM EDT
Add another name to the list of the walking wounded for the Pittsburgh Penguins. With about two minutes left in the 1st period, Brooks Orpik took a puck off the hand while trying to block a shot off the stick of Patrick Marleau. He left the ice shaking his hand and immediately headed to the locker room. After the intermission and a 20-minute delay due to a lighting problem at the CONSOL Energy Center, he still was nowhere to be found.
Ironic that the Pens would lose yet another player to injury on the same night they welcomed James Neal and Matt Niskanen. Orpik’s injury is just the latest in a string of injuries the Penguins have dealt with lately. Evgeni Malkin, Sidney Crosby, Chris Kunitz, and Paul Martin were all out of the line-up against the Sharks and only Martin is day-to-day.
Starting play in the 2nd period, newcomer Niskanen was playing on the top-pairing with Norris-Trophy candidate Kris Letang. Obviously Dan Bylsma will have even more juggling to do with losing one of the best defenseman on his roster.
We’ll post an update as soon as we have one.
- McDavid on teams possibly tanking for him: ‘It’s pretty crazy’ 6
- Fanspeak: Lemieux (stunner!) voted greatest Penguin in franchise history 35
- Under Pressure: Mike Johnston 16
- It’s Pittsburgh Penguins Day at PHT 33
- Captain no more: Sharks strip Thornton of ‘C’ 47
- Tank defense: NHL changes up Draft Lottery format 52
- Fanspeak: Clarke voted greatest Flyer in franchise history 36
- Different tune: Moore hasn’t settled with Bertuzzi, says brother (Updated) 31
- Rangers win Kevin Hayes sweepstakes 30
- Kovalev compares Subban to Leetch, says he isn’t worth the money 54