Feb 23, 2011, 9:25 PM EDT
Add another name to the list of the walking wounded for the Pittsburgh Penguins. With about two minutes left in the 1st period, Brooks Orpik took a puck off the hand while trying to block a shot off the stick of Patrick Marleau. He left the ice shaking his hand and immediately headed to the locker room. After the intermission and a 20-minute delay due to a lighting problem at the CONSOL Energy Center, he still was nowhere to be found.
Ironic that the Pens would lose yet another player to injury on the same night they welcomed James Neal and Matt Niskanen. Orpik’s injury is just the latest in a string of injuries the Penguins have dealt with lately. Evgeni Malkin, Sidney Crosby, Chris Kunitz, and Paul Martin were all out of the line-up against the Sharks and only Martin is day-to-day.
Starting play in the 2nd period, newcomer Niskanen was playing on the top-pairing with Norris-Trophy candidate Kris Letang. Obviously Dan Bylsma will have even more juggling to do with losing one of the best defenseman on his roster.
We’ll post an update as soon as we have one.
- ‘We’re going into the cage,’ says Kings’ coach Sutter about Game 5 0
- Kings stave off elimination, force Game 5 against Sharks 21
- Wild hold off late Avalanche push to even series at 2-2 53
- Bruins scratch out OT win, push Red Wings to brink 42
- WATCH LIVE: San Jose Sharks at L.A. Kings 0
- WATCH LIVE: Colorado Avalanche at Minnesota Wild (Game 4) 5
- Monster of a surprise: Red Wings start Gustavsson over Howard 5
- WATCH LIVE: Boston Bruins at Detroit Red Wings (Game 4) 2
- Bylsma rips Penguins, calls effort level ‘troubling’ 64
- Cooke: I didn’t intend to collide knee-on-knee with Barrie 99
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (153)
- Bad luck strikes twice: Lightning goal waved off, Stamkos takes knee to head (137)
- Keith doesn’t remember if he taunted Backes after Seabrook hit (125)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (118)
- Wild’s Cooke offered in-person hearing for knee-on-knee collision with Barrie (111)