Feb 23, 2011, 12:44 AM EDT
While Erik Johnson earlier today vowed to haunt the Blues, he did his part tonight in helping the Avalanche beat the Blues and perhaps finally put a bullet in their playoff hopes. The Avalanche earned a 4-3 win over St. Louis and ended their nine game losing streak in the process. Erik Johnson scored in the third to give St. Louis a 3-2 lead but St. Louis’ Chris Stewart‘s late goal wouldn’t allow it to end up being the game winner. Stewart finished the game with two goals.
The setting managed to make things a lot more interesting considering where both teams are in the Western Conference. With both teams basically being out of the mix for the playoffs in the crowded West, bringing a little bit of zest to this game was welcomed and both teams made it pay off. Fast action, plenty of goals, and former teammates burning each other all over the place.
After it was all said and done, Peter Budaj stood tall and played his best game in a long time stopping 42 shots to get the Avs the win. Ty Conklin had yet another tough outing and made Blues fans long for the return of Jaroslav Halak stopping 23 shots in the loss. Paul Stastny had a goal and two assists as he too deals with trade rumors in Denver while fellow trade target John-Michael Liles had two assists for Colorado.
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 8
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 8
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 41
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 49
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Report: Trottier to join Sabres’ coaching staff 19
- Blues sign former eighth overall pick Mueller 31
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center 45
- Eric Staal has surgery to repair ‘core muscle injury’ 6
- After not seeing ‘eye-to-eye’ with Carlyle, Reimer will compete for No. 1 gig 16
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (50)
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain (45)
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center (45)
- New Caps regime plans to keep Ovechkin at RW (for now) (42)