Feb 23, 2011, 12:44 AM EDT
While Erik Johnson earlier today vowed to haunt the Blues, he did his part tonight in helping the Avalanche beat the Blues and perhaps finally put a bullet in their playoff hopes. The Avalanche earned a 4-3 win over St. Louis and ended their nine game losing streak in the process. Erik Johnson scored in the third to give St. Louis a 3-2 lead but St. Louis’ Chris Stewart‘s late goal wouldn’t allow it to end up being the game winner. Stewart finished the game with two goals.
The setting managed to make things a lot more interesting considering where both teams are in the Western Conference. With both teams basically being out of the mix for the playoffs in the crowded West, bringing a little bit of zest to this game was welcomed and both teams made it pay off. Fast action, plenty of goals, and former teammates burning each other all over the place.
After it was all said and done, Peter Budaj stood tall and played his best game in a long time stopping 42 shots to get the Avs the win. Ty Conklin had yet another tough outing and made Blues fans long for the return of Jaroslav Halak stopping 23 shots in the loss. Paul Stastny had a goal and two assists as he too deals with trade rumors in Denver while fellow trade target John-Michael Liles had two assists for Colorado.
- Byfuglien to have phone hearing for Miller cross-check 43
- Patrick Kane is practicing today 30
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers won’t fool with Penguins on Rivalry Night 34
- ‘Could’ve broken his neck,’ says Vigneault of Byfuglien cross check on Miller 65
- Video: Byfuglien gets away with ugly cross check, penalized late in Jets loss to Rangers 35
- Video: Lucic scores late winner, Bruins deal crushing blow to Panthers playoff hopes 10
- Video: Ovi becomes sixth player in history to record six 50-goal seasons 18
- ‘Almost like a game seven tonight’ for Bruins, Panthers 15
- Report: Warrant issued for Deveaux’s arrest following Swedish league attack 48
- How bad are things for the Kings after Monday? 22