Feb 23, 2011, 12:44 AM EDT
While Erik Johnson earlier today vowed to haunt the Blues, he did his part tonight in helping the Avalanche beat the Blues and perhaps finally put a bullet in their playoff hopes. The Avalanche earned a 4-3 win over St. Louis and ended their nine game losing streak in the process. Erik Johnson scored in the third to give St. Louis a 3-2 lead but St. Louis’ Chris Stewart‘s late goal wouldn’t allow it to end up being the game winner. Stewart finished the game with two goals.
The setting managed to make things a lot more interesting considering where both teams are in the Western Conference. With both teams basically being out of the mix for the playoffs in the crowded West, bringing a little bit of zest to this game was welcomed and both teams made it pay off. Fast action, plenty of goals, and former teammates burning each other all over the place.
After it was all said and done, Peter Budaj stood tall and played his best game in a long time stopping 42 shots to get the Avs the win. Ty Conklin had yet another tough outing and made Blues fans long for the return of Jaroslav Halak stopping 23 shots in the loss. Paul Stastny had a goal and two assists as he too deals with trade rumors in Denver while fellow trade target John-Michael Liles had two assists for Colorado.
- Ducks silence Winnipeg’s whiteout crowd with OT win, push Jets to brink of elimination 14
- Video: Wild chase the Blues away to take series lead 39
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead 90
- Video: Jets fans celebrate return of playoff hockey with whiteout in Winnipeg 5
- Would McLellan like to coach McDavid? ‘You can have the best player and still not have the best team’ 23
- Burrows’ instigator suspension rescinded, allowed to play Game 4 24
- No hearing scheduled for Hamhuis after Bennett headshot 13
- Sharks and McLellan have ‘mutually agreed’ to part ways 50
- Desperate Jets will ‘lean on’ their crowd tonight 20
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 16
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (172)
- Stone suffered microfracture on Subban slash, Sens confirm (102)
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) (99)
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ (95)
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (90)