Feb 23, 2011, 12:44 AM EDT
While Erik Johnson earlier today vowed to haunt the Blues, he did his part tonight in helping the Avalanche beat the Blues and perhaps finally put a bullet in their playoff hopes. The Avalanche earned a 4-3 win over St. Louis and ended their nine game losing streak in the process. Erik Johnson scored in the third to give St. Louis a 3-2 lead but St. Louis’ Chris Stewart‘s late goal wouldn’t allow it to end up being the game winner. Stewart finished the game with two goals.
The setting managed to make things a lot more interesting considering where both teams are in the Western Conference. With both teams basically being out of the mix for the playoffs in the crowded West, bringing a little bit of zest to this game was welcomed and both teams made it pay off. Fast action, plenty of goals, and former teammates burning each other all over the place.
After it was all said and done, Peter Budaj stood tall and played his best game in a long time stopping 42 shots to get the Avs the win. Ty Conklin had yet another tough outing and made Blues fans long for the return of Jaroslav Halak stopping 23 shots in the loss. Paul Stastny had a goal and two assists as he too deals with trade rumors in Denver while fellow trade target John-Michael Liles had two assists for Colorado.
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 0
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 7
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 21
- Leafs deny rift between Kessel and coaching staff 15
- Injured Crosby, Malkin will miss start of Pens’ camp 8
- Selanne rips Boudreau in book 18
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? 37
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 12
- Update: Wild’s Harding out indefinitely with fractured foot 20
- Johansen heads home from Columbus as talks get even messier 25
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (61)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (54)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)