Feb 23, 2011, 11:15 AM EDT
Every week, we’ll provide updates for each division. The biggest contenders and/or closest races will receive the greatest amount of attention.
Bold = playoff contender; Italics = likely lottery fodder.
Atlantic Division outlook (February 23 -March 1)
1. Philadelphia Flyers (39-15-6 for 84 pts; 60 Games Played)
Current streak: One loss in a row.
Week ahead: Home vs. NY Islanders (Thursday), @ Ottawa (Saturday).
Thoughts: The Penguins are clearly fading from the Flyers’ rear-view mirror right now, so it’s more about keeping pace with the Vancouver Canucks for the Presidents Trophy.
2. Pittsburgh Penguins (36-20-5 for 77 pts; 61 GP)
Current streak: Two losses in a row.
Week ahead: Home vs. San Jose (Wed), @ Carolina (Fri), @ Toronto (Sat).
Thoughts: Is James Neal the “answer” the Penguins have been searching for on the wing? Maybe not in the most absolute way, but he’s a major upgrade for Pittsburgh.
3. New York Rangers (32-26-4 for 68 pts; 62 GP)
Current streak: One win.
Week ahead: @ Washington (Fri), home vs. Tampa Bay (Sun), home vs Buffalo (Tues).
Thoughts: The Rangers were really struggling coming into Tuesday’s game against the Carolina Hurricanes, but they pulled out a win in a three-point game that might have left people groaning.
4. New Jersey Devils (26-30-4 for 68 pts; 60 GP)
Current streak: Eight wins.
Week ahead: @ Tampa Bay (Fri), @ Florida (Sun).
Thoughts: The Devils actually play another game against the Lightning in New Jersey next Wednesday, so it’s been quite the run of non-traditional franchises for the Devils. If nothing else, they made the jump from italics to bold this week.
5. New York Islanders (23-31-7 for 53 pts; 61 GP)
Current streak: One loss.
Week ahead: @ Philadelphia (Thurs), home vs. Washington (Sat), @ Washington (Tues).
Thoughts: The Isles are quietly hot, but this run of three elite East teams might flatten them out a little bit.
- Extended overtime likely to be on agenda in GMs’ March meeting 24
- Lundqvist shuts out Red Wings to claim 300th victory 10
- NHL on NBCSN: Hawks know they can’t take Sabres lightly 10
- NHL on NBC: Red Wings, Rangers fight to cling onto playoff spots 2
- Video: Flames score center-ice goal against Canucks’ Lack 18
- Stars believe Lehtonen suffered concussion from Haula collision (update) 23
- Video: Stars retire Mike Modano’s jersey 11
- Rostislav Klesla passes on joining Sabres organization following trade 12
- Ryan Murray has knee surgery, likely done for season 1
- Washington finally signs top prospect Kuznetsov 33
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (66)