Feb 23, 2011, 11:15 AM EDT
Every week, we’ll provide updates for each division. The biggest contenders and/or closest races will receive the greatest amount of attention.
Bold = playoff contender; Italics = likely lottery fodder.
Atlantic Division outlook (February 23 -March 1)
1. Philadelphia Flyers (39-15-6 for 84 pts; 60 Games Played)
Current streak: One loss in a row.
Week ahead: Home vs. NY Islanders (Thursday), @ Ottawa (Saturday).
Thoughts: The Penguins are clearly fading from the Flyers’ rear-view mirror right now, so it’s more about keeping pace with the Vancouver Canucks for the Presidents Trophy.
2. Pittsburgh Penguins (36-20-5 for 77 pts; 61 GP)
Current streak: Two losses in a row.
Week ahead: Home vs. San Jose (Wed), @ Carolina (Fri), @ Toronto (Sat).
Thoughts: Is James Neal the “answer” the Penguins have been searching for on the wing? Maybe not in the most absolute way, but he’s a major upgrade for Pittsburgh.
3. New York Rangers (32-26-4 for 68 pts; 62 GP)
Current streak: One win.
Week ahead: @ Washington (Fri), home vs. Tampa Bay (Sun), home vs Buffalo (Tues).
Thoughts: The Rangers were really struggling coming into Tuesday’s game against the Carolina Hurricanes, but they pulled out a win in a three-point game that might have left people groaning.
4. New Jersey Devils (26-30-4 for 68 pts; 60 GP)
Current streak: Eight wins.
Week ahead: @ Tampa Bay (Fri), @ Florida (Sun).
Thoughts: The Devils actually play another game against the Lightning in New Jersey next Wednesday, so it’s been quite the run of non-traditional franchises for the Devils. If nothing else, they made the jump from italics to bold this week.
5. New York Islanders (23-31-7 for 53 pts; 61 GP)
Current streak: One loss.
Week ahead: @ Philadelphia (Thurs), home vs. Washington (Sat), @ Washington (Tues).
Thoughts: The Isles are quietly hot, but this run of three elite East teams might flatten them out a little bit.
- FYI: Hartnell and Voracek have black beards now 7
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh 59
- Oshie and Berglund out, Tarasenko in for Blues tonight vs. ‘Hawks 4
- Ducks hold off spirited Stars comeback, take 1-0 series lead 8
- Weise gives Canadiens 1-0 series lead with overtime win 7
- Penguins outlast Blue Jackets, take Game 1 62
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers 79
- Bulletin-board material: Why your team won’t win the Stanley Cup 36
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? 57
- 2014 Stanley Cup Playoffs: PHT’s Round 1 picks 36