Feb 22, 2011, 10:00 AM EDT
Aside from the occasional night off – or the even less common instance when a save or goal isn’t deemed worthy – the gang at PHT will decide which tally or stop is the best of any given night. Once those two winners are determined, we’ll share our reasoning (and most importantly, the video clip for each) in posts for your viewing pleasure.
In an odd coincidence, the two candidates for the Save of the Night from February 22nd happened to make two great stops against the same two forwards. Runner-up Marc-Andre Fleury couldn’t keep Alex Ovechkin off the score sheet all night long (Ovi scored the game’s only tally), but he did make a great breakaway stop and a flashy glove save to limit the Russian star.
Keeping in tune with the actual game, Michal Neuvirth was just a little bit better, though. He earned a 39-save shutout in his second consecutive goose egg against the Penguins, including these two semi-breakaway stops against interim top center Jordan Staal.
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry 6
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 21
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 8
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 39
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 16
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 19
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers (40)