Feb 22, 2011, 10:00 AM EST
Aside from the occasional night off – or the even less common instance when a save or goal isn’t deemed worthy – the gang at PHT will decide which tally or stop is the best of any given night. Once those two winners are determined, we’ll share our reasoning (and most importantly, the video clip for each) in posts for your viewing pleasure.
In an odd coincidence, the two candidates for the Save of the Night from February 22nd happened to make two great stops against the same two forwards. Runner-up Marc-Andre Fleury couldn’t keep Alex Ovechkin off the score sheet all night long (Ovi scored the game’s only tally), but he did make a great breakaway stop and a flashy glove save to limit the Russian star.
Keeping in tune with the actual game, Michal Neuvirth was just a little bit better, though. He earned a 39-save shutout in his second consecutive goose egg against the Penguins, including these two semi-breakaway stops against interim top center Jordan Staal.
- Trade: Capitals land Glencross, Flames get two picks 12
- Flames place Giordano on IR 5
- Flyers keep faint playoff hopes alive with win over Rangers 26
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder 62
- Jagr earns high praise in his Panthers debut 1
- Bruins maintain four-point edge in playoff race, hand Coyotes ninth straight loss 5
- NHL on NBC: Rangers look for a fourth straight win against the Flyers 7
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 9
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 13
- Flyers trade Kimmo Timonen to Blackhawks 41
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (122)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)
- Lindros files $3M defamation lawsuit against ex-referee Stewart (Updated: Now $250K) (65)