Feb 22, 2011, 10:00 AM EDT
Aside from the occasional night off – or the even less common instance when a save or goal isn’t deemed worthy – the gang at PHT will decide which tally or stop is the best of any given night. Once those two winners are determined, we’ll share our reasoning (and most importantly, the video clip for each) in posts for your viewing pleasure.
In an odd coincidence, the two candidates for the Save of the Night from February 22nd happened to make two great stops against the same two forwards. Runner-up Marc-Andre Fleury couldn’t keep Alex Ovechkin off the score sheet all night long (Ovi scored the game’s only tally), but he did make a great breakaway stop and a flashy glove save to limit the Russian star.
Keeping in tune with the actual game, Michal Neuvirth was just a little bit better, though. He earned a 39-save shutout in his second consecutive goose egg against the Penguins, including these two semi-breakaway stops against interim top center Jordan Staal.
- It’s Detroit Red Wings day on PHT 0
- Under Pressure: Nathan Horton 8
- Will Johansen be the latest Overhardt holdout? 23
- It’s Columbus Blue Jackets day on PHT 15
- Shanahan tasked with ending years of collapses 9
- Looking to make the leap: Peter Holland 1
- Under Pressure: Randy Carlyle 5
- Tandem locked: Sens re-sign Anderson to three-year, $12.6M deal 9
- It’s Toronto Maple Leafs day on PHT 10
- Fanspeak: Maurice Richard named greatest player in Canadiens history 15