Feb 22, 2011, 4:21 PM EDT
The Detroit Red Wings are doing pretty well without some of their veteran players, but the team notes that three guys could be on their way back at various times during the season. We’ll go in order of earliest possible return.
As early as Thursday against Dallas: Valtteri Filppula skated today and could return from a sprained MCL (knee injury) as soon as Thursday vs. the Stars.
Possibly Saturday versus Buffalo: Mike Modano missed more than three months when a skate blade slashed his wrist, causing nerve damage that required surgery.
Before the end of the regular season: Chris Osgood is dealing with a groin injury at the moment, which might ultimately encourage Ken Holland to acquire a backup netminder. Still, the aging goalie said he’ll be back without a doubt and it’s “just a matter of when.”
Obviously, these injury updates could be based on optimism as much as anything else, so we’ll let you know as more information surfaces. The team’s been doing well without these players, but it never hurts to improve your depth, especially when it comes to Filppula.
- It’s Ottawa Senators day on PHT 1
- Report: Leiweke to head up Olympic bid in Los Angeles 11
- In praise of John Tavares 14
- It’s New York Islanders Day at PHT 26
- McDavid on teams possibly tanking for him: ‘It’s pretty crazy’ 19
- Fanspeak: Lemieux (stunner!) voted greatest Penguin in franchise history 39
- Under Pressure: Mike Johnston 17
- It’s Pittsburgh Penguins Day at PHT 33
- Captain no more: Sharks strip Thornton of ‘C’ 47
- Tank defense: NHL changes up Draft Lottery format 55