Feb 22, 2011, 4:21 PM EDT
The Detroit Red Wings are doing pretty well without some of their veteran players, but the team notes that three guys could be on their way back at various times during the season. We’ll go in order of earliest possible return.
As early as Thursday against Dallas: Valtteri Filppula skated today and could return from a sprained MCL (knee injury) as soon as Thursday vs. the Stars.
Possibly Saturday versus Buffalo: Mike Modano missed more than three months when a skate blade slashed his wrist, causing nerve damage that required surgery.
Before the end of the regular season: Chris Osgood is dealing with a groin injury at the moment, which might ultimately encourage Ken Holland to acquire a backup netminder. Still, the aging goalie said he’ll be back without a doubt and it’s “just a matter of when.”
Obviously, these injury updates could be based on optimism as much as anything else, so we’ll let you know as more information surfaces. The team’s been doing well without these players, but it never hurts to improve your depth, especially when it comes to Filppula.
- Caps’ Backstrom undergoes arthroscopic hip surgery 2
- Report: Sens’ Murray to retire after next season 0
- Of course: ‘Hawks, Ducks’ back-and-forth series is going to Game 7 42
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 6 1
- As Bolts deal with illness, extra day of rest could prove beneficial 11
- Sounds like it’s Rundblad, not TVR, in for Chicago on defense 17
- On Kreider, and trying ‘to turn the other cheek’ 48
- Report: Sharks to name DeBoer head coach 17
- Video: Lundqvist helps lead Rangers back to New York for Game 7 6
- Lightning get taken to ‘school of hard knocks’ in third-period collapse 11
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks (66)
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL (53)
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ (49)