Feb 22, 2011, 4:21 PM EDT
The Detroit Red Wings are doing pretty well without some of their veteran players, but the team notes that three guys could be on their way back at various times during the season. We’ll go in order of earliest possible return.
As early as Thursday against Dallas: Valtteri Filppula skated today and could return from a sprained MCL (knee injury) as soon as Thursday vs. the Stars.
Possibly Saturday versus Buffalo: Mike Modano missed more than three months when a skate blade slashed his wrist, causing nerve damage that required surgery.
Before the end of the regular season: Chris Osgood is dealing with a groin injury at the moment, which might ultimately encourage Ken Holland to acquire a backup netminder. Still, the aging goalie said he’ll be back without a doubt and it’s “just a matter of when.”
Obviously, these injury updates could be based on optimism as much as anything else, so we’ll let you know as more information surfaces. The team’s been doing well without these players, but it never hurts to improve your depth, especially when it comes to Filppula.
- Blackhawks’ Sharp: ‘We knew we had to get two points’ 5
- Video: Brian Engblom takes a puck to the head 9
- Flames jump back into third in Pacific, beat Preds 6
- Letang concussed, Penguins will dress five defensemen 17
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks desperate for wins, Penguins seek definitive end to slump 7
- Video: Bolts lose Garrison, Paquette in loss to Wings 4
- Bruins ruin Lundqvist’s return 28
- Video: Letang hospitalized after Doan hit (Update) 48
- Bruins chalk Rask’s absence up to dehydration (Update) 4
- Happy returns: Datsyuk plays for Detroit 2