Feb 22, 2011, 4:21 PM EST
The Detroit Red Wings are doing pretty well without some of their veteran players, but the team notes that three guys could be on their way back at various times during the season. We’ll go in order of earliest possible return.
As early as Thursday against Dallas: Valtteri Filppula skated today and could return from a sprained MCL (knee injury) as soon as Thursday vs. the Stars.
Possibly Saturday versus Buffalo: Mike Modano missed more than three months when a skate blade slashed his wrist, causing nerve damage that required surgery.
Before the end of the regular season: Chris Osgood is dealing with a groin injury at the moment, which might ultimately encourage Ken Holland to acquire a backup netminder. Still, the aging goalie said he’ll be back without a doubt and it’s “just a matter of when.”
Obviously, these injury updates could be based on optimism as much as anything else, so we’ll let you know as more information surfaces. The team’s been doing well without these players, but it never hurts to improve your depth, especially when it comes to Filppula.
- Video: Canadiens honor long-time captain Saku Koivu 0
- Crosby back for Pens after missing three games with the mumps 1
- Comparing the shot differentials of all 30 teams 7
- PHT interviews Jim Nill, who’s ‘not surprised’ by Stars’ early-season struggles 2
- Mark Howe on his father’s health: ‘He’s back in the ballgame’ 3
- Holland: ‘I’m not against fighting’ 8
- Preds’ Neal fined for diving 23
- After surprising start, Flames sign Hartley to multi-year contract extension 5
- Update your wallcharts: Rangers confirm Brassard has mumps 11
- Video: Coyotes defeat Oilers with 0.3 seconds remaining in OT 3