Feb 22, 2011, 4:21 PM EDT
The Detroit Red Wings are doing pretty well without some of their veteran players, but the team notes that three guys could be on their way back at various times during the season. We’ll go in order of earliest possible return.
As early as Thursday against Dallas: Valtteri Filppula skated today and could return from a sprained MCL (knee injury) as soon as Thursday vs. the Stars.
Possibly Saturday versus Buffalo: Mike Modano missed more than three months when a skate blade slashed his wrist, causing nerve damage that required surgery.
Before the end of the regular season: Chris Osgood is dealing with a groin injury at the moment, which might ultimately encourage Ken Holland to acquire a backup netminder. Still, the aging goalie said he’ll be back without a doubt and it’s “just a matter of when.”
Obviously, these injury updates could be based on optimism as much as anything else, so we’ll let you know as more information surfaces. The team’s been doing well without these players, but it never hurts to improve your depth, especially when it comes to Filppula.
- Arbitration filed: Holtby, Nyquist & Stepan highlight list released by NHLPA 10
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 12
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 11
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 22
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 25
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 74
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 28
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 (74)