Feb 22, 2011, 12:06 PM EST
While it’s still in the “report” stage, the Washington Capitals could be without Nicklas Backstrom on a day-to-day basis according to Japers’ Rink, Puck Daddy and other sources. Translated reports indicate that the slick Swede might have a fractured thumb.
The translated report originally came straight from an interview with Backstrom, while the Capitals confirmed his day-to-day status to the Washington Examiner. Backstrom said that the injury came because of a Kris Letang slash that was never penalized during Monday’s game.
At this point, Backstrom probably isn’t slipping under as many hockey radars as previous years. While he isn’t on a pace to match his 101-point output from last season (53 points in 61 games in 2010-11), he brings a nice mixture of reasonable defensive play and heady playmaking to the table.
The Capitals surely must hope this is indeed a minor injury, as Alexander Semin is just getting healthy again while Mike Green is still missing games after taking a Brooks Oprik slapshot to the ear/side of the head.
Obviously this story is in the early stages, so we’ll let you know if he’s expected to miss a significant amount of time if the team makes any announcements.
- Report: Canes’ Jordan Staal to make season debut Monday 1
- ‘We can build on this': Devils lose with Lou Lamoriello behind the bench 5
- Video: Nyquist scores OT winner on incredible individual effort 8
- Video: Ovechkin crushes Letang, Capitals cruise by the Penguins 6
- Video: Prout, Lucic drop the gloves in highly anticipated scrap 73
- Video: NHL on NBC panel breaks down the coaching situation in New Jersey 4
- Lou Lamoriello unveils highly unorthodox coaching plan 37
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks, Kings renew hostilities 3
- NHL on NBCSN: Can Capitals take advantage of depleted Penguins? 2
- Team Canada crushes Slovakia 14
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (76)
- Video: Prout, Lucic drop the gloves in highly anticipated scrap (73)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)