Feb 22, 2011, 12:06 PM EDT
While it’s still in the “report” stage, the Washington Capitals could be without Nicklas Backstrom on a day-to-day basis according to Japers’ Rink, Puck Daddy and other sources. Translated reports indicate that the slick Swede might have a fractured thumb.
The translated report originally came straight from an interview with Backstrom, while the Capitals confirmed his day-to-day status to the Washington Examiner. Backstrom said that the injury came because of a Kris Letang slash that was never penalized during Monday’s game.
At this point, Backstrom probably isn’t slipping under as many hockey radars as previous years. While he isn’t on a pace to match his 101-point output from last season (53 points in 61 games in 2010-11), he brings a nice mixture of reasonable defensive play and heady playmaking to the table.
The Capitals surely must hope this is indeed a minor injury, as Alexander Semin is just getting healthy again while Mike Green is still missing games after taking a Brooks Oprik slapshot to the ear/side of the head.
Obviously this story is in the early stages, so we’ll let you know if he’s expected to miss a significant amount of time if the team makes any announcements.
- After not seeing ‘eye-to-eye’ with Carlyle, Reimer will compete for No. 1 gig 0
- Two down, one to go: Wings ink Tatar to three-year, $8.25M deal 3
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal 57
- Subban not eager to discuss contract talks 33
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 22
- Gorges still can’t explain falling out of favor in Montreal 13
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 10
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 7
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 31
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 45
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (61)
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (60)
- Report: O’Reilly wants $6.7M deal, Avs counter at $5.5M (58)
- Return that toaster: Ovechkin-Kirilenko engagement broken off (54)