Feb 22, 2011, 12:06 PM EDT
While it’s still in the “report” stage, the Washington Capitals could be without Nicklas Backstrom on a day-to-day basis according to Japers’ Rink, Puck Daddy and other sources. Translated reports indicate that the slick Swede might have a fractured thumb.
The translated report originally came straight from an interview with Backstrom, while the Capitals confirmed his day-to-day status to the Washington Examiner. Backstrom said that the injury came because of a Kris Letang slash that was never penalized during Monday’s game.
At this point, Backstrom probably isn’t slipping under as many hockey radars as previous years. While he isn’t on a pace to match his 101-point output from last season (53 points in 61 games in 2010-11), he brings a nice mixture of reasonable defensive play and heady playmaking to the table.
The Capitals surely must hope this is indeed a minor injury, as Alexander Semin is just getting healthy again while Mike Green is still missing games after taking a Brooks Oprik slapshot to the ear/side of the head.
Obviously this story is in the early stages, so we’ll let you know if he’s expected to miss a significant amount of time if the team makes any announcements.
- Stars win one night after Peverley collapse, give Miller first Blues loss 3
- Crosby, Pens continue recent dominance of Ovechkin, Caps 19
- Terry Trafford’s body found in Michigan on Tuesday 8
- PHT Extra: What happens if the Caps miss the playoffs? 17
- Wings can’t afford regulation loss to Jackets 6
- ‘It’s obvious Tortorella can’t come back next year,’ writes Vancouver reporter 57
- NHL on NBCSN: Capitals fight to earn first win vs. Penguins in 26 months 11
- Vanquished: Isles stun Canucks with seven-goal third period 27
- Peverley asked to return to game following ‘cardiac event’ 23
- Peverley hospitalized, conscious after collapsing on Stars bench (Update) 19
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (71)
- Chiasson ‘shaken up’ by Peverley incident, won’t dress for Stars tonight (69)
- ‘It’s obvious Tortorella can’t come back next year,’ writes Vancouver reporter (60)