Feb 22, 2011, 11:38 AM EDT
If you’ve been following along with us, this shouldn’t come as a surprise, but the NHL announced that its Board of Governors unanimously approved the sale of the Buffalo Sabres to Terry Pegula today.
To refresh your memory, the total cost of the sale is said to be approximately $189 million. While you can never be certain how an owner will conduct his hockey business – especially in such an unstable economic climate – all indications point to Pegula being an “upgrade” as the Sabres’ owner.
It appears as if he boasts two qualities that can be very helpful in a great owner: he’s really rich (reportedly a billionaire) and is a genuine fan of hockey. That combination could be especially useful during the trade deadline, although the team might not be in a position to “buy” since they’re locked in a ninth-place tie in the East right now.
So in the worst case scenario, Pegula might not have a chance to showcase a new Sabres era until the free agent frenzy in the summer. Here is what Gary Bettman said about Buffalo’s behind the scenes shuffle.
“We are pleased to welcome Terry to the National Hockey League,” Commissioner Gary Bettman said. “Terry’s clear commitment to the Sabres and the NHL signal the start of an exciting new chapter in the history of the franchise. We also thank Tom Golisano and Larry Quinn for their devotion to the Sabres, the fans and the city of Buffalo.”
(Photo of Terry Pegula via The Associated Press.)
- Ducks hold off spirited Stars comeback, take 1-0 series lead 1
- Weise gives Canadiens 1-0 series lead with overtime win 7
- Penguins outlast Blue Jackets, take Game 1 26
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers 79
- Bulletin-board material: Why your team won’t win the Stanley Cup 36
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? 57
- 2014 Stanley Cup Playoffs: PHT’s Round 1 picks 35
- Pressing Question: Can the Blackhawks avoid the Stanley Cup hangover? 10
- Florida wins ’14 NHL draft lottery, will pick first overall 42
- Philly mum on Mason’s availability for Game 1 vs. Rangers 26
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers (79)
- Lightning’s Malone arrested for DUI, cocaine possession (73)
- Update: Daniel Sedin in stable condition, hospitalized after scary hit (58)
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? (57)