Feb 22, 2011, 11:38 AM EDT
If you’ve been following along with us, this shouldn’t come as a surprise, but the NHL announced that its Board of Governors unanimously approved the sale of the Buffalo Sabres to Terry Pegula today.
To refresh your memory, the total cost of the sale is said to be approximately $189 million. While you can never be certain how an owner will conduct his hockey business – especially in such an unstable economic climate – all indications point to Pegula being an “upgrade” as the Sabres’ owner.
It appears as if he boasts two qualities that can be very helpful in a great owner: he’s really rich (reportedly a billionaire) and is a genuine fan of hockey. That combination could be especially useful during the trade deadline, although the team might not be in a position to “buy” since they’re locked in a ninth-place tie in the East right now.
So in the worst case scenario, Pegula might not have a chance to showcase a new Sabres era until the free agent frenzy in the summer. Here is what Gary Bettman said about Buffalo’s behind the scenes shuffle.
“We are pleased to welcome Terry to the National Hockey League,” Commissioner Gary Bettman said. “Terry’s clear commitment to the Sabres and the NHL signal the start of an exciting new chapter in the history of the franchise. We also thank Tom Golisano and Larry Quinn for their devotion to the Sabres, the fans and the city of Buffalo.”
(Photo of Terry Pegula via The Associated Press.)
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 3
- Update: Wild’s Harding out indefinitely with fractured foot 17
- Johansen heads home from Columbus as talks get even messier 14
- Kesler accuses Vancouver media of making up stories, ‘throwing people under the bus’ 19
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal 49
- Mike Yeo is pretty unhappy with Minnesota’s goalie situation 20
- Much to his relief, Lecavalier will start season at center 14
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands 61
- Advantage Kuemper? Harding on crutches after ankle injury 15
- Done deal, finally: Wings ink DeKeyser to two-year, $4.375M extension 11
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (61)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (50)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)