Feb 21, 2011, 9:15 PM EDT
The Nashville Predators have plenty of players who can be considered “underrated.” It’s almost difficult to overrate Shea Weber‘s manliness, for example. Goalie Pekka Rinne is far from a household name, but he’s gradually building a reputation as one of the league’s steadiest netminders. The team’s other great defenseman Ryan Suter might be their most underrated player, though.
After all, the team clearly struggles without a guy who’s been described as a player who “is to Nashville what Nicklas Lidstrom is to Detroit,” being that Nashville is 4-6-1 without Suter.
That 11-game stretch came when Suter suffered a knee injury, but the current concern regards an upper body injury caused by a Shane Doan hit during the second period of Nashville’s loss to the Phoenix Coyotes on Saturday. While Suter will probably miss the Predators’ match with the Columbus Blue Jackets tomorrow, Josh Cooper reports that coach Barry Trotz is “encouraged” by the fact that the American defenseman might play on Thursday against the Chicago Blackhawks.
This is great news for Nashville, as they are only two points ahead of the wacky five-team pile up that constitutes the Western Conference playoff bubble.
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 12
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 16
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 56
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 25
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 24
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 60
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)