Feb 21, 2011, 9:15 PM EST
The Nashville Predators have plenty of players who can be considered “underrated.” It’s almost difficult to overrate Shea Weber‘s manliness, for example. Goalie Pekka Rinne is far from a household name, but he’s gradually building a reputation as one of the league’s steadiest netminders. The team’s other great defenseman Ryan Suter might be their most underrated player, though.
After all, the team clearly struggles without a guy who’s been described as a player who “is to Nashville what Nicklas Lidstrom is to Detroit,” being that Nashville is 4-6-1 without Suter.
That 11-game stretch came when Suter suffered a knee injury, but the current concern regards an upper body injury caused by a Shane Doan hit during the second period of Nashville’s loss to the Phoenix Coyotes on Saturday. While Suter will probably miss the Predators’ match with the Columbus Blue Jackets tomorrow, Josh Cooper reports that coach Barry Trotz is “encouraged” by the fact that the American defenseman might play on Thursday against the Chicago Blackhawks.
This is great news for Nashville, as they are only two points ahead of the wacky five-team pile up that constitutes the Western Conference playoff bubble.
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 5
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 4
- Breaking: Flyers trade Kimmo Timonen to Blackhawks 21
- Video: Couture fined $5K for slew-footing Smith 22
- Time to start winning — Bruins’ next four games are against non-playoff teams 17
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 14
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 41
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 66
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 29
- Trotz doesn’t see a ‘big, sexy, difference-maker guy’ on the market 17
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)
- Lindros files $3M defamation lawsuit against ex-referee Stewart (Updated: Now $250K) (65)