Feb 21, 2011, 9:15 PM EDT
The Nashville Predators have plenty of players who can be considered “underrated.” It’s almost difficult to overrate Shea Weber‘s manliness, for example. Goalie Pekka Rinne is far from a household name, but he’s gradually building a reputation as one of the league’s steadiest netminders. The team’s other great defenseman Ryan Suter might be their most underrated player, though.
After all, the team clearly struggles without a guy who’s been described as a player who “is to Nashville what Nicklas Lidstrom is to Detroit,” being that Nashville is 4-6-1 without Suter.
That 11-game stretch came when Suter suffered a knee injury, but the current concern regards an upper body injury caused by a Shane Doan hit during the second period of Nashville’s loss to the Phoenix Coyotes on Saturday. While Suter will probably miss the Predators’ match with the Columbus Blue Jackets tomorrow, Josh Cooper reports that coach Barry Trotz is “encouraged” by the fact that the American defenseman might play on Thursday against the Chicago Blackhawks.
This is great news for Nashville, as they are only two points ahead of the wacky five-team pile up that constitutes the Western Conference playoff bubble.
- Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4 12
- WATCH LIVE: Rangers at Lightning, Game 4 of Eastern Conference Final 6
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 38
- All eyes on Lundqvist 10
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 12
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 30
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 39
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 48
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 26
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)