Feb 21, 2011, 2:41 PM EDT
Antti Niemi‘s big week in helping move the San Jose Sharks up the Western Conference standings was recognized today as he was named the number one star of the week by the NHL. Niemi went 3-0-0 with a 0.98 goals against average and a stunning .963 save percentage last week including a shutout against Colorado.
Niemi’s great play has come at the perfect time for the Sharks as Antero Niittymaki is down with an injury and and minor league call-up Alex Stalock is also hurt. With Niemi the lone man in goal he’s flourished and gotten the Sharks back into the playoffs mix as they’re fourth in the West now.
Niemi doing as well as he did was about the only thing keeping New Jersey’s Johan Hedberg from getting top honors. Hedberg also was 3-0-0 on the week. He put up a 1.00 goals against average and stopped shots at a .956 save percentage while leading the Devils up the standings in the East. Hedberg has won six straight starts now since Martin Brodeur went down with an injury leading to being named the NHL’s second star of the week.
Rounding out the three stars is Edmonton’s Ales Hemsky. Hemsky was the league’s top scorer last week with four goals and three assists in helping the Oilers to win three straight games last week. Hemsky’s outpouring of offense have helped fuel trade speculation surrounding the talented winger.
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 0
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 12
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 10
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)