Feb 20, 2011, 1:28 AM EST
Ryan Suter left Saturday night’s game at the end of the 2nd period with an upper-body injury. As he was going into the corner to retrieve the puck, he was leveled by Coyotes’ captain Shane Doan and did not return to the game. In fact, Suter received a two-minute unsportsmanlike penalty on the play. I’m assuming that’s because “two minutes for receiving a check” doesn’t sound as good.
The play itself is one of those tricky situations where there really isn’t a penalty. About three seconds before the injury, it was Ryan Suter delivering the hit and Shane Doan was on the receiving end. As Doan picked himself up off the ice, he made a beeline straight towards Suter and served up a bodycheck that was loaded with the worst of intentions.
After the game, Barry Trotz took issue with the play:
“I had an issue on the hit on Suter. I think we are trying to get those out of the game. The puck is in the corner and he’s battling with one guy and he turns and the tuck is four or five feet from and there was no play on the puck. It was a straight play on Suter.”
Check it out for yourself:
At the risk of stating the obvious, losing Suter for the rest of the game was huge. There are those out there who will tell you that Ryan Suter has been more valuable to the team than captain and fellow defenseman Shea Weber. He’s tied for the team lead on the Predators with 24 assists this season and is by far the team leader with a +19 rating. All of that despite missing 11 games due to injury.
The problem is the Predators are a far better team with the 2010 Olympian than they are without him in the lineup. The Preds were 4-6-1 during his 11 game hiatus which isn’t nearly good enough in the tight Western Conference. If he misses a few games, it could be the difference between home-ice advantage and a tough first round match-up. Or worse yet, it could mean missing the playoffs altogether.
The official word out of Nashville is that Suter is day-to-day. Obviously, we’ll keep an eye on this story to see how quickly he recovers.
- Video: Zidlicky’s first goal with Detroit gives Red Wings OT win over Rangers 23
- Video: P.K. Subban illustrates hockey instincts through GoPro camera perspective 1
- Video: Lundqvist could be back in 10 to 14 days 5
- Isles’ Martin suspended one game for ‘reckless’ knee on Daley 11
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 21
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 49
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 39
- NHL on NBCSN: Reloaded Red Wings, Rangers set to battle tonight 51
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 4
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 59
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)