Feb 20, 2011, 1:28 AM EDT
Ryan Suter left Saturday night’s game at the end of the 2nd period with an upper-body injury. As he was going into the corner to retrieve the puck, he was leveled by Coyotes’ captain Shane Doan and did not return to the game. In fact, Suter received a two-minute unsportsmanlike penalty on the play. I’m assuming that’s because “two minutes for receiving a check” doesn’t sound as good.
The play itself is one of those tricky situations where there really isn’t a penalty. About three seconds before the injury, it was Ryan Suter delivering the hit and Shane Doan was on the receiving end. As Doan picked himself up off the ice, he made a beeline straight towards Suter and served up a bodycheck that was loaded with the worst of intentions.
After the game, Barry Trotz took issue with the play:
“I had an issue on the hit on Suter. I think we are trying to get those out of the game. The puck is in the corner and he’s battling with one guy and he turns and the tuck is four or five feet from and there was no play on the puck. It was a straight play on Suter.”
Check it out for yourself:
At the risk of stating the obvious, losing Suter for the rest of the game was huge. There are those out there who will tell you that Ryan Suter has been more valuable to the team than captain and fellow defenseman Shea Weber. He’s tied for the team lead on the Predators with 24 assists this season and is by far the team leader with a +19 rating. All of that despite missing 11 games due to injury.
The problem is the Predators are a far better team with the 2010 Olympian than they are without him in the lineup. The Preds were 4-6-1 during his 11 game hiatus which isn’t nearly good enough in the tight Western Conference. If he misses a few games, it could be the difference between home-ice advantage and a tough first round match-up. Or worse yet, it could mean missing the playoffs altogether.
The official word out of Nashville is that Suter is day-to-day. Obviously, we’ll keep an eye on this story to see how quickly he recovers.
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 82
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 75
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (97)
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance (95)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (77)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (40)
- Poll: Will Kessel score 40? (38)