Feb 20, 2011, 1:28 AM EDT
Ryan Suter left Saturday night’s game at the end of the 2nd period with an upper-body injury. As he was going into the corner to retrieve the puck, he was leveled by Coyotes’ captain Shane Doan and did not return to the game. In fact, Suter received a two-minute unsportsmanlike penalty on the play. I’m assuming that’s because “two minutes for receiving a check” doesn’t sound as good.
The play itself is one of those tricky situations where there really isn’t a penalty. About three seconds before the injury, it was Ryan Suter delivering the hit and Shane Doan was on the receiving end. As Doan picked himself up off the ice, he made a beeline straight towards Suter and served up a bodycheck that was loaded with the worst of intentions.
After the game, Barry Trotz took issue with the play:
“I had an issue on the hit on Suter. I think we are trying to get those out of the game. The puck is in the corner and he’s battling with one guy and he turns and the tuck is four or five feet from and there was no play on the puck. It was a straight play on Suter.”
Check it out for yourself:
At the risk of stating the obvious, losing Suter for the rest of the game was huge. There are those out there who will tell you that Ryan Suter has been more valuable to the team than captain and fellow defenseman Shea Weber. He’s tied for the team lead on the Predators with 24 assists this season and is by far the team leader with a +19 rating. All of that despite missing 11 games due to injury.
The problem is the Predators are a far better team with the 2010 Olympian than they are without him in the lineup. The Preds were 4-6-1 during his 11 game hiatus which isn’t nearly good enough in the tight Western Conference. If he misses a few games, it could be the difference between home-ice advantage and a tough first round match-up. Or worse yet, it could mean missing the playoffs altogether.
The official word out of Nashville is that Suter is day-to-day. Obviously, we’ll keep an eye on this story to see how quickly he recovers.
- Canucks ink Brandon Sutter to five-year, $21.875 million extension 18
- NHL unveils ‘historic’ digital media rights deal with MLBAM 36
- It’s Detroit Red Wings Day at PHT 15
- What does Jack Eichel mean to the Buffalo Sabres? 32
- It’s Buffalo Sabres Day at PHT 33
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 29
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 62
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? (62)
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs (45)
- Owner Pegula: Sabres have gone through ‘two of the most successful seasons we’ve ever had’ (43)
- NHL unveils ‘historic’ digital media rights deal with MLBAM (38)