Feb 20, 2011, 4:30 PM EST
Patrick Sharp and the rest of his line figured into the action early on in today’s Game of the Week. Sharp connected on a fantastic goal started thanks to passes from Patrick Kane, Niklas Hjalmarsson, and Jonathan Toews. Sharp’s pretty finisher was the lone goal of the first period giving Chicago a 1-0 lead after 20 minutes.
Sharp’s goal wasn’t the only action he saw though as he accidentally got his stick up high on Penguins defenseman Brooks Orpik and drew a double-minor for the infraction. Sharp’s stick got caught up in Orpik’s jersey and the blade caught Orpik right in the mouth. The Penguins will have 1:09 of power play carried over into the second period.
Blackhawks goalie Corey Crawford was solid in the first period saving all seven shots he saw while Marc-Andre Fleury saved 12 out of 13 shots he saw. Pittsburgh is having a hard time keeping up with Chicago’s speed in this game and the amount of personnel the Penguins are missing due to injury is very apparent. If the Penguins aren’t careful, they’ll get run out of United Center.
- Don Cherry on Leafs not saluting fans: ‘I couldn’t believe these guys would do something like this’ 0
- Report: Dan Hamhuis’ injury is significant, but not season-ending 5
- Been there, done that: Oilers lose five straight for second time this season 10
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ 81
- Video: Prout drops Lucic with one punch 43
- NHL grants Kings cap relief for Voynov, who’s still suspended indefinitely 31
- Trade: Stars get Demers from Sharks, send Dillon to San Jose 18
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now 78
- Dallas signs Jason Spezza to four-year, $30 million extension 18
- Video: Ovechkin with an unreal dangle, scores game-winner 17
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (81)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (78)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)
- After Voynov suspension, Lombardi wonders if teams need a ‘cushion’ in case a player is a ‘bank robber, kleptomaniac’ (51)