Feb 20, 2011, 4:30 PM EDT
Patrick Sharp and the rest of his line figured into the action early on in today’s Game of the Week. Sharp connected on a fantastic goal started thanks to passes from Patrick Kane, Niklas Hjalmarsson, and Jonathan Toews. Sharp’s pretty finisher was the lone goal of the first period giving Chicago a 1-0 lead after 20 minutes.
Sharp’s goal wasn’t the only action he saw though as he accidentally got his stick up high on Penguins defenseman Brooks Orpik and drew a double-minor for the infraction. Sharp’s stick got caught up in Orpik’s jersey and the blade caught Orpik right in the mouth. The Penguins will have 1:09 of power play carried over into the second period.
Blackhawks goalie Corey Crawford was solid in the first period saving all seven shots he saw while Marc-Andre Fleury saved 12 out of 13 shots he saw. Pittsburgh is having a hard time keeping up with Chicago’s speed in this game and the amount of personnel the Penguins are missing due to injury is very apparent. If the Penguins aren’t careful, they’ll get run out of United Center.
- More like it? Avs crush Canucks 12
- Video: Beauties from Perry, Eberle and Duchene 4
- Ghost Time: Flyers recall Gostisbehere from AHL 25
- Trotz calls Healy’s comments on Ovechkin (and Ovechkin’s mom) ‘disrespectful’ 26
- Report: Billionaire wants NHL team in Vegas; new Coyotes owner ‘sees flipping the team as a good investment’ 23
- Chara has PCL tear, out 4-6 weeks 20
- Coburn, MacDonald out four weeks with lower-body injuries 20
- Red-hot Quick sets new Kings’ franchise shutout record 10
- Reports: Chara could miss at least 4-6 weeks with knee injury 13
- Video: Red Wings’ stars stun Penguins with late surge 32
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (82)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)