Feb 20, 2011, 4:30 PM EDT
Patrick Sharp and the rest of his line figured into the action early on in today’s Game of the Week. Sharp connected on a fantastic goal started thanks to passes from Patrick Kane, Niklas Hjalmarsson, and Jonathan Toews. Sharp’s pretty finisher was the lone goal of the first period giving Chicago a 1-0 lead after 20 minutes.
Sharp’s goal wasn’t the only action he saw though as he accidentally got his stick up high on Penguins defenseman Brooks Orpik and drew a double-minor for the infraction. Sharp’s stick got caught up in Orpik’s jersey and the blade caught Orpik right in the mouth. The Penguins will have 1:09 of power play carried over into the second period.
Blackhawks goalie Corey Crawford was solid in the first period saving all seven shots he saw while Marc-Andre Fleury saved 12 out of 13 shots he saw. Pittsburgh is having a hard time keeping up with Chicago’s speed in this game and the amount of personnel the Penguins are missing due to injury is very apparent. If the Penguins aren’t careful, they’ll get run out of United Center.
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 16
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 21
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 70
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 28
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)