Feb 20, 2011, 5:25 PM EDT
The Penguins headed into the second period down on the scoreboard and down in shots to the Blackhawks. As the Blackhawks headed to a power play after a Craig Adams hooking penalty, Matt Cooke turned the game around immediately for the Penguins.
Cooke scored a shorthanded goal off a great saucer pass from Maxime Talbot to tie things up at 13:52 of the second period. Cooke’s goal lit a fire under the Penguins and the final minutes of the period were owned by the Pens as their forechecking pressure and overall pressure offensively kept the Blackhawks on their heels the rest of the period.
Pittsburgh outshot Chicago that period 11-8 and having a pair of power plays helped that out, but for the Penguins the momentum seized by tying the game up has changed things up dramatically as the Blackhawks can’t seem to battle through. Marc-Andre Fleury is playing outstanding in goal for the Pens making 20 saves through two periods. If Chicago can’t find motivation in the third, the hard-working Penguins will find a way to beat them.
- Wild hand Bryzgalov a training camp tryout 0
- Update: Wild’s Harding out indefinitely with fractured foot 12
- Johansen heads home from Columbus as talks get even messier 5
- Kesler accuses Vancouver media of making up stories, ‘throwing people under the bus’ 16
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal 47
- Mike Yeo is pretty unhappy with Minnesota’s goalie situation 20
- Much to his relief, Lecavalier will start season at center 11
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands 61
- Advantage Kuemper? Harding on crutches after ankle injury 15
- Done deal, finally: Wings ink DeKeyser to two-year, $4.375M extension 11
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (61)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (54)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)