Feb 20, 2011, 5:25 PM EST
The Penguins headed into the second period down on the scoreboard and down in shots to the Blackhawks. As the Blackhawks headed to a power play after a Craig Adams hooking penalty, Matt Cooke turned the game around immediately for the Penguins.
Cooke scored a shorthanded goal off a great saucer pass from Maxime Talbot to tie things up at 13:52 of the second period. Cooke’s goal lit a fire under the Penguins and the final minutes of the period were owned by the Pens as their forechecking pressure and overall pressure offensively kept the Blackhawks on their heels the rest of the period.
Pittsburgh outshot Chicago that period 11-8 and having a pair of power plays helped that out, but for the Penguins the momentum seized by tying the game up has changed things up dramatically as the Blackhawks can’t seem to battle through. Marc-Andre Fleury is playing outstanding in goal for the Pens making 20 saves through two periods. If Chicago can’t find motivation in the third, the hard-working Penguins will find a way to beat them.
- Video: Lindros and LeClair inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame 1
- BREAKING: Voynov charged with felony for domestic violence 27
- NHL responds to concussion lawsuit, says players should have ‘put two and two together’ 36
- (Video) PHT Extra: Carlyle’s on the hot seat, Hartley’s riding high 0
- Hextall launched profanity-laced tirade against Flyers last night 30
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him 55
- NHL watching 3-on-3 OT in the AHL closely 12
- Sens’ Murray hopes to bring cancer awareness 5
- Pens’ Dupuis has blood clot in lung, out six months 25
- It’s not all Carlyle’s fault, but the Leafs’ coach is failing at his job 12
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (55)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)
- After Voynov suspension, Lombardi wonders if teams need a ‘cushion’ in case a player is a ‘bank robber, kleptomaniac’ (51)
- Video: Malkin runs over Girardi (Updated) (41)
- Bettman calls Panthers relocation speculation ‘unfounded’ (36)