Feb 20, 2011, 5:25 PM EST
The Penguins headed into the second period down on the scoreboard and down in shots to the Blackhawks. As the Blackhawks headed to a power play after a Craig Adams hooking penalty, Matt Cooke turned the game around immediately for the Penguins.
Cooke scored a shorthanded goal off a great saucer pass from Maxime Talbot to tie things up at 13:52 of the second period. Cooke’s goal lit a fire under the Penguins and the final minutes of the period were owned by the Pens as their forechecking pressure and overall pressure offensively kept the Blackhawks on their heels the rest of the period.
Pittsburgh outshot Chicago that period 11-8 and having a pair of power plays helped that out, but for the Penguins the momentum seized by tying the game up has changed things up dramatically as the Blackhawks can’t seem to battle through. Marc-Andre Fleury is playing outstanding in goal for the Pens making 20 saves through two periods. If Chicago can’t find motivation in the third, the hard-working Penguins will find a way to beat them.
- On the odds of fighting back after Thanksgiving 4
- Why are the Oilers still bad? Look at their drafting 12
- The Leafs are worth almost seven times the Panthers, says Forbes 14
- Isles make some history; Are the Flyers headed for trouble? 41
- Crosby, Malkin power Penguins, help Fleury grab 300th win 5
- Sooner than later? Bruins GM hopes Chara can return in 10-14 days 1
- With worst save percentage in NHL, Oilers fire goalie coach 22
- Pat Quinn, ‘one of hockey’s most respected individuals,’ has died 14
- NHL on NBCSN: Bruins seek perfect game vs. Penguins 8
- Legendary hockey coach Viktor Tikhonov has died 15
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (99)
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (88)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (79)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- After Voynov suspension, Lombardi wonders if teams need a ‘cushion’ in case a player is a ‘bank robber, kleptomaniac’ (51)