Feb 20, 2011, 6:20 AM EDT
From the “you have to be kidding” me file, Helene Elliott of the LA Times brings us this nugget of greatness. As if we needed yet another reason for the Lighthouse Project to be approved on Long Island, now it seems as though the team is charging announcers for water during broadcasts. Maybe Nassau County can pass a bill with voters to set aside $200 per year for visiting broadcasters? Maybe they can build a new arena with drinking fountains and refillable water bottles?
Regardless, here’s the direct story:
“Kings radio play-by-play announcer Nick Nickson, thirsty after constantly talking through two periods, asked a technician in the press box to bring him some water. Sorry, the guy replied, he’d need some money because the Islanders charge $1 for any beverages consumed after the $10 pressbox meal.”
The Islanders have been through plenty over the last few years, so they last thing they need is more bad press. But come on; is this really what it’s come to? I guess we shouldn’t be surprised when we’re talking about a team who is spending $41.1 million on their roster when the salary cap floor is $43.4 (thank you Alexei Yashin buyout).
In related news, you can expect the Islanders to start charging organ music and scoreboard updates.
We should be talking about how the Islanders have won 5 of their last 6 games and have been putting a truly exciting product on the ice lately. We should be talking about how they dominated the red-hot Los Angeles Kings. We should be talking about how they’re coming into their own with players like Michael Grabner, John Tavares, Frans Nielsen, Kyle Okposo, Josh Bailey, and…
Excuse me, I need to clear my throat. Let me grab a dollar bill.
- Kane’s OT goal ties Blackhawks – Blues series at 2-2 11
- Stars chase Andersen, tie series with Ducks 2-2 12
- Penguins blow three-goal lead, Columbus evens series 66
- NHL suspends Matt Cooke for seven games 89
- Ducks’ Getzlaf (upper body) isn’t available for Game 4 (Updated) 3
- Two years after winning the Cup, the Kings’ ‘mix’ comes into question 39
- Duck drama: Selanne to sit as healthy scratch in Game 4 15
- MacKinnon, Johnson and Palat named Calder Trophy finalists 12
- Sharks beat Kings in OT, take 3-0 stranglehold on series 43
- Rangers chase Emery, top Flyers for 2-1 series lead 56
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (153)
- Bad luck strikes twice: Lightning goal waved off, Stamkos takes knee to head (136)
- Keith doesn’t remember if he taunted Backes after Seabrook hit (125)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (118)
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh (113)