Feb 20, 2011, 6:20 AM EDT
From the “you have to be kidding” me file, Helene Elliott of the LA Times brings us this nugget of greatness. As if we needed yet another reason for the Lighthouse Project to be approved on Long Island, now it seems as though the team is charging announcers for water during broadcasts. Maybe Nassau County can pass a bill with voters to set aside $200 per year for visiting broadcasters? Maybe they can build a new arena with drinking fountains and refillable water bottles?
Regardless, here’s the direct story:
“Kings radio play-by-play announcer Nick Nickson, thirsty after constantly talking through two periods, asked a technician in the press box to bring him some water. Sorry, the guy replied, he’d need some money because the Islanders charge $1 for any beverages consumed after the $10 pressbox meal.”
The Islanders have been through plenty over the last few years, so they last thing they need is more bad press. But come on; is this really what it’s come to? I guess we shouldn’t be surprised when we’re talking about a team who is spending $41.1 million on their roster when the salary cap floor is $43.4 (thank you Alexei Yashin buyout).
In related news, you can expect the Islanders to start charging organ music and scoreboard updates.
We should be talking about how the Islanders have won 5 of their last 6 games and have been putting a truly exciting product on the ice lately. We should be talking about how they dominated the red-hot Los Angeles Kings. We should be talking about how they’re coming into their own with players like Michael Grabner, John Tavares, Frans Nielsen, Kyle Okposo, Josh Bailey, and…
Excuse me, I need to clear my throat. Let me grab a dollar bill.
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 28
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 111
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 79
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (111)
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance (95)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (79)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (42)
- Poll: Will Kessel score 40? (38)