Feb 20, 2011, 6:20 AM EST
From the “you have to be kidding” me file, Helene Elliott of the LA Times brings us this nugget of greatness. As if we needed yet another reason for the Lighthouse Project to be approved on Long Island, now it seems as though the team is charging announcers for water during broadcasts. Maybe Nassau County can pass a bill with voters to set aside $200 per year for visiting broadcasters? Maybe they can build a new arena with drinking fountains and refillable water bottles?
Regardless, here’s the direct story:
“Kings radio play-by-play announcer Nick Nickson, thirsty after constantly talking through two periods, asked a technician in the press box to bring him some water. Sorry, the guy replied, he’d need some money because the Islanders charge $1 for any beverages consumed after the $10 pressbox meal.”
The Islanders have been through plenty over the last few years, so they last thing they need is more bad press. But come on; is this really what it’s come to? I guess we shouldn’t be surprised when we’re talking about a team who is spending $41.1 million on their roster when the salary cap floor is $43.4 (thank you Alexei Yashin buyout).
In related news, you can expect the Islanders to start charging organ music and scoreboard updates.
We should be talking about how the Islanders have won 5 of their last 6 games and have been putting a truly exciting product on the ice lately. We should be talking about how they dominated the red-hot Los Angeles Kings. We should be talking about how they’re coming into their own with players like Michael Grabner, John Tavares, Frans Nielsen, Kyle Okposo, Josh Bailey, and…
Excuse me, I need to clear my throat. Let me grab a dollar bill.
- Supercut: Every goal from the highest-scoring period in All-Star Game history 0
- Video: Team Foligno survives shootout, wins Skills Competition 4
- Video: Weber wins hardest shot with 108.5 mph blast 13
- Video: Lightning’s Drouin wins fastest skater 7
- WATCH LIVE: NHL All-Star Skills Competition 2
- Will the Youngstars even have a chance? (Updated) 12
- Unique World Cup format allows ‘more of the very best players’ to participate 11
- NHL unveils 2016 Winter Classic, Stadium Series games 19
- Players have fun, show off personalities in water-fueled All-Star Fantasy Draft 9
- Video: ‘Coachable’ Kessel goes from last pick to 2nd overall 5
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)
- Video: NHL offers Flyers’ Rinaldo in-person hearing (57)