Feb 20, 2011, 6:20 AM EDT
From the “you have to be kidding” me file, Helene Elliott of the LA Times brings us this nugget of greatness. As if we needed yet another reason for the Lighthouse Project to be approved on Long Island, now it seems as though the team is charging announcers for water during broadcasts. Maybe Nassau County can pass a bill with voters to set aside $200 per year for visiting broadcasters? Maybe they can build a new arena with drinking fountains and refillable water bottles?
Regardless, here’s the direct story:
“Kings radio play-by-play announcer Nick Nickson, thirsty after constantly talking through two periods, asked a technician in the press box to bring him some water. Sorry, the guy replied, he’d need some money because the Islanders charge $1 for any beverages consumed after the $10 pressbox meal.”
The Islanders have been through plenty over the last few years, so they last thing they need is more bad press. But come on; is this really what it’s come to? I guess we shouldn’t be surprised when we’re talking about a team who is spending $41.1 million on their roster when the salary cap floor is $43.4 (thank you Alexei Yashin buyout).
In related news, you can expect the Islanders to start charging organ music and scoreboard updates.
We should be talking about how the Islanders have won 5 of their last 6 games and have been putting a truly exciting product on the ice lately. We should be talking about how they dominated the red-hot Los Angeles Kings. We should be talking about how they’re coming into their own with players like Michael Grabner, John Tavares, Frans Nielsen, Kyle Okposo, Josh Bailey, and…
Excuse me, I need to clear my throat. Let me grab a dollar bill.
- Price makes 43 saves as Senators’ magical run ends in controversy 14
- Video: Fast whistle costs Senators potentially critical goal 11
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 3
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance 83
- Crosby joining Team Canada at Worlds 16
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for today 12
- One more time, with feeling: Flames stage yet another comeback, eliminate Vancouver 25
- Keith conquers: Blackhawks come back, eliminate Predators 49
- Red Wings smother Lightning, take 3-2 series lead 23
- Going the distance: Isles edge Caps to force Game 7 43
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (108)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (83)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)