Feb 20, 2011, 3:20 PM EDT
The New York Rangers were the hungrier and more desperate team than the Philadelphia Flyers in the third period, out-shooting their division rivals 15-3, but it didn’t matter. Brian Boucher showed why he is one of the league’s most reliable backups, making 37 out of 39 saves to help Philly win an intense game against the struggling Rangers. This marks Boucher’s 15th win of the 2010-11 season.
Boucher’s performance should make his team proud, but the biggest source of pride should come from the team’s discipline, as the Flyers didn’t take a single penalty in the game. That’s obviously a rare feat for a team known as “The Broadstreet Bullies.”
Jeff Carter and Claude Giroux contributed one-goal, one-assist games while Braydon Coburn and Scott Hartnell had two assists for Philadelphia. Kris Versteeg scored the empty netter to ice the game for his new team. Meanwhile, Wojtek Wolski and Derek Stepan scored a goal each while Henrik Lundqvist took the loss (20 out of 23 saves) for the Rangers.
The Flyers now have a seven-point lead over the Penguins for the lead in the Atlantic Division and Eastern Conference. (Pittsburgh is about to play the Blackhawks in Chicago on NBC.) This is a tough loss for the Rangers, who now only hold a six-point lead over the ninth-place Buffalo Sabres and 10th-place Atlanta Thrashers.
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 44
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 63
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 27
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 40
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 40
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (63)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)