Feb 20, 2011, 3:20 PM EDT
The New York Rangers were the hungrier and more desperate team than the Philadelphia Flyers in the third period, out-shooting their division rivals 15-3, but it didn’t matter. Brian Boucher showed why he is one of the league’s most reliable backups, making 37 out of 39 saves to help Philly win an intense game against the struggling Rangers. This marks Boucher’s 15th win of the 2010-11 season.
Boucher’s performance should make his team proud, but the biggest source of pride should come from the team’s discipline, as the Flyers didn’t take a single penalty in the game. That’s obviously a rare feat for a team known as “The Broadstreet Bullies.”
Jeff Carter and Claude Giroux contributed one-goal, one-assist games while Braydon Coburn and Scott Hartnell had two assists for Philadelphia. Kris Versteeg scored the empty netter to ice the game for his new team. Meanwhile, Wojtek Wolski and Derek Stepan scored a goal each while Henrik Lundqvist took the loss (20 out of 23 saves) for the Rangers.
The Flyers now have a seven-point lead over the Penguins for the lead in the Atlantic Division and Eastern Conference. (Pittsburgh is about to play the Blackhawks in Chicago on NBC.) This is a tough loss for the Rangers, who now only hold a six-point lead over the ninth-place Buffalo Sabres and 10th-place Atlanta Thrashers.
- Happy now? Kessel dropped 13 lbs. this summer 11
- Rich Peverley retires from NHL, joins Stars’ front office 9
- Update: Multiple witnesses reportedly subpoenaed in Patrick Kane rape investigation 35
- Jonathan Toews talks about the Patrick Kane situation 28
- Voynov detained by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement 26
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 31
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 119
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 82
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (119)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (82)
- Report: Hawks’ Kane has not been asked to waive his no-move clause (49)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (43)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (41)