Feb 19, 2011, 1:48 AM EST
Perhaps it comes with the territory, though. For one thing, Kane isn’t just a flashy hockey player, he’s a flashy American hockey player. He isn’t a bountiful source of one-liners on the same scale as Jeremy Roenick, but he isn’t a clichebot like Crosby either. And let’s face it: Kane isn’t shy about having a good time.
Kane’s somewhat wild reputation (built on the regrettable cab driver incident and those mostly-just-embarrassing shirtless limo photos) leads many to jump to conclusions – right or wrong – about the slick winger’s social life. Deadspin ran a story Friday claiming that Kane missed Chicago’s Monday and Tuesday practices because of a “two-day hangover” rather than flu-like symptoms. This is far from the first time that an NHL player has been accused of having the booze flu, but Kane denied the story to Chris Kuc, saying that the photos were old and that he was indeed sick.
Ultimately, it’s a game of he-said/huge Internet rumor Web site-said between Kane and Deadspin, but there are a few important takeaways:
1. There are no reports that Kane hurt himself or anyone else, meaning the stakes are pretty marginal even if the report is accurate and the photos were from this weekend.
2. Sports athletes (and in some cases, owners such as Jerry Jones) shouldn’t ever pose for photos with people when they’re out having a few drinks.
(Honestly, if I was in Kane’s position, I’d probably force everyone to check their cell phones/cameras at the door in any situation in which spirits might be consumed.)
You can watch Kane refute the reports (and discuss his team’s struggles) in the video below, via CSN Chicago. This story will probably go away, but it does beg the question: did Kane already lose the benefit of the doubt in many circles?
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 16
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 12
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 28
- Report: Isles coach Capuano not seen as problem 11
- Rivalry Night on NBCSN: Flyers challenge top-ranked Blackhawks 17
- Update: Ryan Callahan out 4-6 weeks with MCL sprain 15
- Four goals: Ovechkin wills Caps to stunning shootout win vs. Bolts 62
- Bettman: No decision on expansion, but they’re listening 13
- Neal admits kneeing Marchand was ‘not the smartest decision’ 80
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)