Feb 19, 2011, 1:16 PM EST
When the Edmonton Oilers told Sheldon Souray not to show up for training camp, the consensus was that they made the hard-shooting yet prohibitively expensive defenseman that much tougher to trade. In the process, they also forced themselves to pay him $4.5 million this season to play for another team’s AHL affiliate after placing him on waivers.
The Oilers are trying to reduce his cost by putting him on re-entry waivers this weekend. Jim Matheson reports that Oilers GM Steve Tambellini said he wouldn’t put Souray on re-entry waivers unless another team said they would scoop him up, leading to speculation that he might be claimed by the Dallas Stars or New York Rangers.
If those two teams or any other club picks up Souray, they will need to pay half of his remaining salary this season (about $500K) along with half of his $4.25 million salary in 2011-12. The toughest part might be the cap hit: both the Oilers and the team that claim him will incur a $2.7 million cap hit for next season and a pro-rated cap hit for the remainder of 2010-11 as part of the re-entry process.
It’s not the ideal scenario for Souray or the Oilers, but at least the team can drop the facade that a talented (if flawed) defenseman really deserves to play in the minors even as the pro team flounders in last place yet again.
The Stars, Rangers or whatever other team(s) might be interested have 48 hours to make a claim, so we’ll keep you updated regarding this situation during the weekend.
- Team Canada crushes Slovakia 4
- Criticism spreads to GM Lou Lamoriello after Devils fire DeBoer 4
- Eichel earns assist and scores in shootout as U.S. squeaks by Finland 1
- Canada enters World Juniors as 11/10 favorite; USA next at 9/4 2
- Devils fire DeBoer 20
- More mumps: Downie and Greiss test positive 4
- Orpik reflects on ‘outside pressure’ in Pittsburgh 18
- Canada tabs Fucale for WJC opener 0
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Ovechkin’s great big year of disappointment 10
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Kings win Cup, Martinez the OT hero 0
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (76)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)
- Panthers hold off Penguins for shootout win (42)