Feb 19, 2011, 5:35 PM EDT
The Dallas Stars have been surprisingly successful this season, but they’ve relied heavily on two players: elite forward Brad Richards and oft-injured goalie Kari Lehtonen. The team has made it through patches when Lehtonen was banged up, but Richards went down with a mysterious injury just as things were really unraveling for the Stars.
Obviously, this is awful news for the Stars and their fans, although Heika writes that it might not be as bad as it sounds. The team is currently taking a “day-to-day approach” with the elite playmaker’s head injury and Crawford even said that Richards could play again on Tuesday if his Monday workouts go well.
It’s hard not to be a little skeptical about that last bit, but here is an excerpt from Heika’s report.
“It will be important for us to get back there and see how he’s doing and see if he can go through a practice, and then move on from there,” Crawford said. “We want to do what’s best for Brad, and so we’ll move forward cautiously.”
News like this often is seen as extremely concerning, but Crawford said it could also work out that Richards feels fine, goes through practice on Monday and then is ready to play on Tuesday against New Jersey. He said a lot depends on how Richards is feeling each day.
Such an approach seems almost a little cavalier considering the concussion problems that have troubled players such as Sidney Crosby and Marc Savard, but it’s important to note that the severity of concussions can range wildly. Perhaps Richards’ is a more “mild” case, but obviously, the Stars are still in the process of learning about his condition.
We’ll keep you updated, but it’s certain the Stars must attempt to end their three-game losing streak without their best player tonight in a contest against the Vancouver Canucks.
Sep 19, 2014, 11:01 PM EDT
The Winnipeg Jets would settle for far less after he scored just 19 last season.
Sep 19, 2014, 10:03 PM EDT
The last thing he wants is to suffer a setback by rushing his recovery.
Sep 19, 2014, 9:37 PM EDT
That’s not the only summer statement he took exception to.
Sep 19, 2014, 9:04 PM EDT
Bob Suter was a defenseman on the “Miracle on Ice” team.
Sep 19, 2014, 8:02 PM EDT
That usually doesn’t end well, but this might be an exception.
Sep 19, 2014, 6:59 PM EDT
He suffered three concussions in under a year.
Sep 19, 2014, 6:00 PM EDT
It’s part of the reason why the defenseman is playing for Washington.
Sep 19, 2014, 4:58 PM EDT
He suffered a concussion last season.
Sep 19, 2014, 4:17 PM EDT
Greg Sherman stayed on as his assistant.
Sep 19, 2014, 3:33 PM EDT
He’s not the only member of the Ducks that’s hurting.
Sep 19, 2014, 3:00 PM EDT
Held out of Kings’ on-ice activities on Friday.
Sep 19, 2014, 2:06 PM EDT
“We’re a cap team now, despite us being in the bottom five of the league in ticket revenue.”
Sep 19, 2014, 2:00 PM EDT
Flyers captain currently being evaluated.
Sep 19, 2014, 1:21 PM EDT
“We have two NHL centermen right now,” said Dallas Eakins.
Sep 19, 2014, 1:09 PM EDT
Just like they did last year.
Sep 19, 2014, 12:31 PM EDT
But most of them wouldn’t have gone public with the negotiations.
Sep 19, 2014, 11:59 AM EDT
What does his future hold in Calgary?
Sep 19, 2014, 11:17 AM EDT
Will the men have to face NHLers?
Sep 19, 2014, 11:07 AM EDT
“But maybe we can control the top lines and outperform the lower lines.”
Sep 19, 2014, 10:56 AM EDT
“I’m sure they’re up to the task.”
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 0
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 8
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 4
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 24
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 9
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 8
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 28
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (62)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)