Feb 19, 2011, 5:35 PM EDT
The Dallas Stars have been surprisingly successful this season, but they’ve relied heavily on two players: elite forward Brad Richards and oft-injured goalie Kari Lehtonen. The team has made it through patches when Lehtonen was banged up, but Richards went down with a mysterious injury just as things were really unraveling for the Stars.
Obviously, this is awful news for the Stars and their fans, although Heika writes that it might not be as bad as it sounds. The team is currently taking a “day-to-day approach” with the elite playmaker’s head injury and Crawford even said that Richards could play again on Tuesday if his Monday workouts go well.
It’s hard not to be a little skeptical about that last bit, but here is an excerpt from Heika’s report.
“It will be important for us to get back there and see how he’s doing and see if he can go through a practice, and then move on from there,” Crawford said. “We want to do what’s best for Brad, and so we’ll move forward cautiously.”
News like this often is seen as extremely concerning, but Crawford said it could also work out that Richards feels fine, goes through practice on Monday and then is ready to play on Tuesday against New Jersey. He said a lot depends on how Richards is feeling each day.
Such an approach seems almost a little cavalier considering the concussion problems that have troubled players such as Sidney Crosby and Marc Savard, but it’s important to note that the severity of concussions can range wildly. Perhaps Richards’ is a more “mild” case, but obviously, the Stars are still in the process of learning about his condition.
We’ll keep you updated, but it’s certain the Stars must attempt to end their three-game losing streak without their best player tonight in a contest against the Vancouver Canucks.
Apr 24, 2014, 1:59 AM EDT
The Blackhawks gave the Blues a taste of their own medicine.
Apr 24, 2014, 12:52 AM EDT
Another memorable moment for the American star.
Apr 24, 2014, 12:25 AM EDT
The NFL defensive back strategy.
Apr 23, 2014, 11:29 PM EDT
Nice gesture … bad sign?
Apr 23, 2014, 11:04 PM EDT
Nick Foligno called his goal ahead of time.
Apr 23, 2014, 10:50 PM EDT
Just a nightmarish evening for Anaheim.
Apr 23, 2014, 10:39 PM EDT
Is history repeating itself?
Apr 23, 2014, 10:12 PM EDT
Pittsburgh once again can’t hold a team to less than three goals.
Apr 23, 2014, 10:00 PM EDT
Many wonder why he played the puck.
Apr 23, 2014, 9:36 PM EDT
He was hurt on Saturday.
Apr 23, 2014, 9:27 PM EDT
We ask, you answer.
Apr 23, 2014, 9:11 PM EDT
He was punished for a knee-on-knee hit to Colorado’s Tyson Barrie.
Apr 23, 2014, 8:37 PM EDT
Chicago is trying to even the series.
Apr 23, 2014, 8:03 PM EDT
But Pittsburgh’s lead is far from secure.
Apr 23, 2014, 7:47 PM EDT
He was second in the regular season scoring race.
Apr 23, 2014, 7:33 PM EDT
San Jose will go for the sweep on Thursday.
Apr 23, 2014, 7:03 PM EDT
Nick Schultz took his place.
Apr 23, 2014, 6:46 PM EDT
The game will start at 8:00 p.m. ET.
Apr 23, 2014, 6:17 PM EDT
Neither team has done a good job of playing with the lead.
Apr 23, 2014, 5:39 PM EDT
He made his series debut in the late stages of Game 3.
- Kane’s OT goal ties Blackhawks – Blues series at 2-2 11
- Stars chase Andersen, tie series with Ducks 2-2 12
- Penguins blow three-goal lead, Columbus evens series 66
- NHL suspends Matt Cooke for seven games 89
- Ducks’ Getzlaf (upper body) isn’t available for Game 4 (Updated) 3
- Two years after winning the Cup, the Kings’ ‘mix’ comes into question 39
- Duck drama: Selanne to sit as healthy scratch in Game 4 15
- MacKinnon, Johnson and Palat named Calder Trophy finalists 12
- Sharks beat Kings in OT, take 3-0 stranglehold on series 43
- Rangers chase Emery, top Flyers for 2-1 series lead 56
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (153)
- Bad luck strikes twice: Lightning goal waved off, Stamkos takes knee to head (136)
- Keith doesn’t remember if he taunted Backes after Seabrook hit (125)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (118)
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh (113)