Feb 19, 2011, 5:35 PM EDT
The Dallas Stars have been surprisingly successful this season, but they’ve relied heavily on two players: elite forward Brad Richards and oft-injured goalie Kari Lehtonen. The team has made it through patches when Lehtonen was banged up, but Richards went down with a mysterious injury just as things were really unraveling for the Stars.
Obviously, this is awful news for the Stars and their fans, although Heika writes that it might not be as bad as it sounds. The team is currently taking a “day-to-day approach” with the elite playmaker’s head injury and Crawford even said that Richards could play again on Tuesday if his Monday workouts go well.
It’s hard not to be a little skeptical about that last bit, but here is an excerpt from Heika’s report.
“It will be important for us to get back there and see how he’s doing and see if he can go through a practice, and then move on from there,” Crawford said. “We want to do what’s best for Brad, and so we’ll move forward cautiously.”
News like this often is seen as extremely concerning, but Crawford said it could also work out that Richards feels fine, goes through practice on Monday and then is ready to play on Tuesday against New Jersey. He said a lot depends on how Richards is feeling each day.
Such an approach seems almost a little cavalier considering the concussion problems that have troubled players such as Sidney Crosby and Marc Savard, but it’s important to note that the severity of concussions can range wildly. Perhaps Richards’ is a more “mild” case, but obviously, the Stars are still in the process of learning about his condition.
We’ll keep you updated, but it’s certain the Stars must attempt to end their three-game losing streak without their best player tonight in a contest against the Vancouver Canucks.
Jul 3, 2015, 11:44 AM EDT
Jul 3, 2015, 11:32 AM EDT
Bobby Sanguinetti to Buffalo; Sharks grab Mark Cundari.
Jul 3, 2015, 11:30 AM EDT
Where he “contributed to the development of Jonathan Quick, Jonathan Bernier and Martin Jones.”
Jul 3, 2015, 11:19 AM EDT
How patiently will he wait?
Jul 3, 2015, 10:46 AM EDT
The 44th overall pick at the 2008 NHL Entry Draft.
Jul 3, 2015, 10:25 AM EDT
Plays a similar style to his dad.
Jul 3, 2015, 10:20 AM EDT
Their supporting casts haven’t been this strong in some time.
Jul 3, 2015, 9:20 AM EDT
Pictured listening to Patrick Roy; he’ll next listen to Dave Cameron.
Jul 3, 2015, 8:07 AM EDT
Friday’s collection of links.
Jul 2, 2015, 11:00 PM EDT
He was fired by Toronto back in April.
Jul 2, 2015, 9:45 PM EDT
Doug Armstrong dipped into the free agency pool Thursday evening for some depth signings.
Jul 2, 2015, 8:45 PM EDT
They’re two-way contracts worth $650,000.
Jul 2, 2015, 7:50 PM EDT
He’s looking forward to playing with Ovechkin and Backstrom in Washington.
Jul 2, 2015, 6:50 PM EDT
They’ve also inked UFA Jordan Caron.
Jul 2, 2015, 6:00 PM EDT
It’s a one-year, two-way deal.
Jul 2, 2015, 5:15 PM EDT
Washington continues to load up.
Jul 2, 2015, 5:00 PM EDT
There’s no “timetables for next steps,” according to NHL deputy commissioner Bill Daly.
Jul 2, 2015, 4:45 PM EDT
The 27-year-old is looking forward to a fresh start in Pittsburgh.
Jul 2, 2015, 3:34 PM EDT
Acquired from Toronto at last year’s trade deadline.
Jul 2, 2015, 2:57 PM EDT
Leagues will continue to respect each other’s contracts. But that’s it.
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 4
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 58
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Caps landing ‘affordable’ Williams a sign of the new free agency 3
- Shots fired! ‘Canes owner Karmanos rips into Jim Rutherford (Updated) 58
- Here’s who’s left after Day 1 of free agency 30
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 38
- Getting clutch? Capitals sign Justin Williams for two years, $6.5M 21
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)