Feb 19, 2011, 4:00 PM EDT
There have been some odd and awesome masks in the history of the NHL, from the very basic one worn originally by Jacques Plante to Gerry Cheevers’ stitch design to Gilles Gratton’s phenomenal lion mask.
Carey Price has been very coy about the special goalie mask he’ll wear specially for the 2011 Heritage Classic, but he unveiled the Plante tribute designed by David Arrigo today. Elliotte Friedman explains that the eyes and mouth are supposed to be Plante’s while the hair and ears are designed to look like Price’s.
It’s a very odd looking mask, although Price and Arrigo have their hearts in the right place. NHL.com has a gallery of the mask from different angles (this post’s main image features one of those photos), but if you would like to see the mask in action, check out video footage of Price wearing it during the Montreal Canadiens’ practice today.
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 16
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 21
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 70
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 28
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)