Feb 19, 2011, 4:00 PM EDT
There have been some odd and awesome masks in the history of the NHL, from the very basic one worn originally by Jacques Plante to Gerry Cheevers’ stitch design to Gilles Gratton’s phenomenal lion mask.
Carey Price has been very coy about the special goalie mask he’ll wear specially for the 2011 Heritage Classic, but he unveiled the Plante tribute designed by David Arrigo today. Elliotte Friedman explains that the eyes and mouth are supposed to be Plante’s while the hair and ears are designed to look like Price’s.
It’s a very odd looking mask, although Price and Arrigo have their hearts in the right place. NHL.com has a gallery of the mask from different angles (this post’s main image features one of those photos), but if you would like to see the mask in action, check out video footage of Price wearing it during the Montreal Canadiens’ practice today.
- Canadiens push Lightning to brink of elimination with 3-2 win 17
- WATCH LIVE: Los Angeles Kings at San Jose Sharks (Game 2) 0
- Bruins handle Red Wings 4-1, tie series 1-1 36
- Flyers overcome two-goal deficit to finally win at MSG 57
- NHL suspends Seabrook three games for charging into Backes 88
- MacKinnon, Avs shine against Wild, take 2-0 series lead 25
- Video: Roenick says MacKinnon is more dominant at 18 than Crosby was 28
- Blue Jackets gain first-ever playoff win, tie series with Penguins 1-1 49
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) 136
- WATCH LIVE: Columbus Blue Jackets at Pittsburgh Penguins (Game 2) 4
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (136)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (116)
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh (113)
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)
- NHL suspends Seabrook three games for charging into Backes (88)