Feb 19, 2011, 4:00 PM EST
There have been some odd and awesome masks in the history of the NHL, from the very basic one worn originally by Jacques Plante to Gerry Cheevers’ stitch design to Gilles Gratton’s phenomenal lion mask.
Carey Price has been very coy about the special goalie mask he’ll wear specially for the 2011 Heritage Classic, but he unveiled the Plante tribute designed by David Arrigo today. Elliotte Friedman explains that the eyes and mouth are supposed to be Plante’s while the hair and ears are designed to look like Price’s.
It’s a very odd looking mask, although Price and Arrigo have their hearts in the right place. NHL.com has a gallery of the mask from different angles (this post’s main image features one of those photos), but if you would like to see the mask in action, check out video footage of Price wearing it during the Montreal Canadiens’ practice today.
- NHL on NBC: Rangers look for a fourth straight win against the Flyers 4
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 6
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 10
- Breaking: Flyers trade Kimmo Timonen to Blackhawks 25
- Video: Couture fined $5K for slew-footing Smith 22
- Time to start winning — Bruins’ next four games are against non-playoff teams 17
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 14
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 41
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 66
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 29
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)
- Lindros files $3M defamation lawsuit against ex-referee Stewart (Updated: Now $250K) (65)