Feb 18, 2011, 9:04 PM EDT
Terry Pegula’s journey to become the new Buffalo Sabres owner might be in “mere formality” mode, but surely they hope to get it done sooner rather than later. Especially when you consider the fact that the still-very-much-in-it team finds itself only 10 days away from the trade deadline.
Joe Buscaglia of WGR 550 points to a “high ranking league source” who said that the NHL Board of Governors officially approved the sale of the team to Pegula, with an official announcement reportedly coming Tuesday.
As we discussed a couple weeks ago, the team already announced the sale of Pegula for a total of $189 million (including some debts), but it couldn’t be set in stone until the league’s big wigs gave it the thumbs up.
This ownership change comes at a nice time for Buffalo, as the new owner can support (or deny) moves made by the Eastern Conference bubble team during the deadline. We’ll let you know if anything changes, but it appears that the hockey-loving billionaire will indeed be the Sabres’ new owner.
- More like it? Avs crush Canucks 27
- Video: Beauties from Perry, Eberle and Duchene 4
- Ghost Time: Flyers recall Gostisbehere from AHL 26
- Trotz calls Healy’s comments on Ovechkin (and Ovechkin’s mom) ‘disrespectful’ 26
- Report: Billionaire wants NHL team in Vegas; new Coyotes owner ‘sees flipping the team as a good investment’ 23
- Chara has PCL tear, out 4-6 weeks 20
- Coburn, MacDonald out four weeks with lower-body injuries 20
- Red-hot Quick sets new Kings’ franchise shutout record 10
- Reports: Chara could miss at least 4-6 weeks with knee injury 13
- Video: Red Wings’ stars stun Penguins with late surge 32
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (82)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)