Feb 18, 2011, 9:04 PM EDT
Terry Pegula’s journey to become the new Buffalo Sabres owner might be in “mere formality” mode, but surely they hope to get it done sooner rather than later. Especially when you consider the fact that the still-very-much-in-it team finds itself only 10 days away from the trade deadline.
Joe Buscaglia of WGR 550 points to a “high ranking league source” who said that the NHL Board of Governors officially approved the sale of the team to Pegula, with an official announcement reportedly coming Tuesday.
As we discussed a couple weeks ago, the team already announced the sale of Pegula for a total of $189 million (including some debts), but it couldn’t be set in stone until the league’s big wigs gave it the thumbs up.
This ownership change comes at a nice time for Buffalo, as the new owner can support (or deny) moves made by the Eastern Conference bubble team during the deadline. We’ll let you know if anything changes, but it appears that the hockey-loving billionaire will indeed be the Sabres’ new owner.
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 7
- Update: Wild’s Harding out indefinitely with fractured foot 19
- Johansen heads home from Columbus as talks get even messier 17
- Kesler accuses Vancouver media of making up stories, ‘throwing people under the bus’ 22
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal 50
- Mike Yeo is pretty unhappy with Minnesota’s goalie situation 22
- Much to his relief, Lecavalier will start season at center 15
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands 61
- Advantage Kuemper? Harding on crutches after ankle injury 15
- Done deal, finally: Wings ink DeKeyser to two-year, $4.375M extension 11
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (61)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (50)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)