Feb 18, 2011, 9:04 PM EDT
Terry Pegula’s journey to become the new Buffalo Sabres owner might be in “mere formality” mode, but surely they hope to get it done sooner rather than later. Especially when you consider the fact that the still-very-much-in-it team finds itself only 10 days away from the trade deadline.
Joe Buscaglia of WGR 550 points to a “high ranking league source” who said that the NHL Board of Governors officially approved the sale of the team to Pegula, with an official announcement reportedly coming Tuesday.
As we discussed a couple weeks ago, the team already announced the sale of Pegula for a total of $189 million (including some debts), but it couldn’t be set in stone until the league’s big wigs gave it the thumbs up.
This ownership change comes at a nice time for Buffalo, as the new owner can support (or deny) moves made by the Eastern Conference bubble team during the deadline. We’ll let you know if anything changes, but it appears that the hockey-loving billionaire will indeed be the Sabres’ new owner.
- Silfverberg scores winner with 21 seconds remaining, Ducks complete comeback over Jets 4
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ 32
- So…what do the Oilers do now? 40
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall 157
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup playoff action 7
- Tarasenko’s hat trick has the Wild singing the Blues 16
- Bishop records first career playoff win as Lightning even series with Red Wings 5
- Hartley fined $50,000 after brawl between Flames and Canucks 24
- Blackhawks’ Darling gets the nod for Game 3 29
- Watch Live: Bolts, Blues look to even up their respective series 0
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (160)
- Stone suffered microfracture on Subban slash, Sens confirm (102)
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) (99)
- Report: Players growing tired of Darryl Sutter (94)
- Bruins fire Chiarelli after missing playoffs (75)