Feb 18, 2011, 9:04 PM EDT
Terry Pegula’s journey to become the new Buffalo Sabres owner might be in “mere formality” mode, but surely they hope to get it done sooner rather than later. Especially when you consider the fact that the still-very-much-in-it team finds itself only 10 days away from the trade deadline.
Joe Buscaglia of WGR 550 points to a “high ranking league source” who said that the NHL Board of Governors officially approved the sale of the team to Pegula, with an official announcement reportedly coming Tuesday.
As we discussed a couple weeks ago, the team already announced the sale of Pegula for a total of $189 million (including some debts), but it couldn’t be set in stone until the league’s big wigs gave it the thumbs up.
This ownership change comes at a nice time for Buffalo, as the new owner can support (or deny) moves made by the Eastern Conference bubble team during the deadline. We’ll let you know if anything changes, but it appears that the hockey-loving billionaire will indeed be the Sabres’ new owner.
- 2014 Stanley Cup Playoffs: PHT’s Round 1 picks 0
- Pressing Question: Can the Blackhawks avoid the Stanley Cup hangover? 5
- Florida wins ’14 NHL draft lottery, will pick first overall 37
- Philly mum on Mason’s availability for Game 1 vs. Rangers 25
- Pressing question: Can the Blues get back on track? 16
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension 90
- Sabres, Panthers have best odds for 2014 NHL draft lottery 16
- Leafs ‘lack an identity,’ says Leiweke 30
- On the hot seat: McPhee will ‘talk in a couple of days’ 21
- Bruins are 7/2 favorites to win the Stanley Cup; Blues next at 6/1 49
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (90)
- Lightning’s Malone arrested for DUI, cocaine possession (73)
- Update: Daniel Sedin in stable condition, hospitalized after scary hit (58)
- Halak’s agent ‘bewildered’ by Oates’ remarks prior to Blues game (51)
- Here’s the schedule for the first round of the 2014 playoffs (51)