Feb 18, 2011, 7:47 PM EDT
As the Minnesota Wild try to scrap their way to the top of the muddled Western Conference playoff bubble, they might have at least one thing on their side on Tuesday: karma. If you believe in that sort of thing.
Every Wild player will wear a camouflage jersey during their warm-ups on February 22nd as a nod to American troops in general and to support a Minnesota troop-based charity called Defending the Blue Line specifically. (You can see an example of those camo uniforms in this post’s main image of Martin Havlat’s sweater, via the Minnesota Wild Web site.)
The Wild report that every jersey will be autographed then auctioned off online between February 23rd and March 16 on the team’s community page. The proceeds will benefit Defending the Blue Line, a non-profit group described this way:
Defending The Blue Line is a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization created by a group of National Guard soldiers in Minnesota. The charity assists families of all branches of the military with costs associated with hockey. They provide financial assistance for registration fees, free equipment, summer hockey camps, and sending many deserving families to Xcel Energy Center for a night of fun at a Minnesota Wild game.
For more information about the charity, visit the organization’s Web site here.
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 0
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 12
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 10
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)