Feb 18, 2011, 1:59 AM EDT
Sometimes a picture is worth a thousand words. Courtesy of James Wisniewski’s Facebook page, we get a glimpse into just how bad those shots can be when the players skate off the ice with blood dripping from their face. Brutal—but something that happens in hockey all the time.
Wisniewski was sent to the hospital for observation and will not travel on the Canadiens charter to Calgary. Reports are the Habs defensemen suffered a broken cheekbone; which is good news considering there were fears it was an eye injury.
With the trade deadline looming and injuries all over the Canadiens’ blueline (Gorges, Markov), it will be interesting to see if this forces Montreal to acquire another defenseman. Newly acquired Paul Mara will be available for the Heritage Classic, but they still might need another to make a playoff push.
Here’s how it happened:
- Marchand accuses ‘kitty cat’ Shaw of eye gouging 27
- Quenneville says Hossa is ‘likely’ to play Game 4 7
- Datsyuk announces three-year, $22.5 million extension with Red Wings 10
- Bruins go ‘above and beyond’ to take 2-1 series lead 44
- Chicago’s powerless power play — it’s a problem 4
- Discuss: Bruins smother ‘Hawks, take 2-1 series lead 91
- Marian Hossa won’t play in Game 3 11
- Report: Flyers, Streit agree to four-year, $21 million deal 39
- Playoffs Tonight: We’re tied going into Boston 9
- Writer: NHL playoffs are ‘annoying’ 79
- Can Heat focus enough to avoid elimination?
- CSN: Bruins' defense never rests in Game 3 win
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead
- PFT: Freed Johnson wants second chance in NFL
- PBT: Judges rules Iverson did not kidnap children
- PFT: Rodgers says Packers' moves a 'wake-up call'
- PFT: Beckham turned down chance to kick in NFL