Feb 18, 2011, 1:59 AM EDT
Sometimes a picture is worth a thousand words. Courtesy of James Wisniewski’s Facebook page, we get a glimpse into just how bad those shots can be when the players skate off the ice with blood dripping from their face. Brutal—but something that happens in hockey all the time.
Wisniewski was sent to the hospital for observation and will not travel on the Canadiens charter to Calgary. Reports are the Habs defensemen suffered a broken cheekbone; which is good news considering there were fears it was an eye injury.
With the trade deadline looming and injuries all over the Canadiens’ blueline (Gorges, Markov), it will be interesting to see if this forces Montreal to acquire another defenseman. Newly acquired Paul Mara will be available for the Heritage Classic, but they still might need another to make a playoff push.
Here’s how it happened:
- Arbitration filed: Holtby, Nyquist & Stepan highlight list released by NHLPA 10
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 12
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 11
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 22
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 24
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 74
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 28
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 (74)