Feb 18, 2011, 1:59 AM EDT
Sometimes a picture is worth a thousand words. Courtesy of James Wisniewski’s Facebook page, we get a glimpse into just how bad those shots can be when the players skate off the ice with blood dripping from their face. Brutal—but something that happens in hockey all the time.
Wisniewski was sent to the hospital for observation and will not travel on the Canadiens charter to Calgary. Reports are the Habs defensemen suffered a broken cheekbone; which is good news considering there were fears it was an eye injury.
With the trade deadline looming and injuries all over the Canadiens’ blueline (Gorges, Markov), it will be interesting to see if this forces Montreal to acquire another defenseman. Newly acquired Paul Mara will be available for the Heritage Classic, but they still might need another to make a playoff push.
Here’s how it happened:
- Video: Johnny Hockey puts on a show in Flames win 9
- Video: Red Wings’ fans show support for Gordie Howe 1
- Burrows suspended three games for ‘late hit to the head’ on Emelin 11
- Blues say Center for Disease Control hasn’t been to Scottrade, don’t plan on it coming 7
- Agent: Vanek was not ‘involved’ in money laundering 12
- Even after big changes, Isles still struggling defensively 13
- Back to junior: Sabres return Reinhart to WHL Kootenay 4
- Report: Phone hearing for Burrows, who says hit on Emelin wasn’t late 38
- Video: Burrows catches Emelin with a late hit (Updated) 12
- Report: Thomas Vanek involved in money laundering scandal 37
- Video: John Moore with an elbow to the head of Erik Haula (Updated) (62)
- Report: Varlamov being sued by ex-girlfriend (47)
- Kreider calls Brodin hit a ‘bang-bang play,’ doesn’t plan to dramatically change his game (46)
- No hearing scheduled for Kreider after Brodin hit (44)
- Kopitar out, Lombardi irate as Kings will play shorthanded vs. Flyers (40)