Feb 18, 2011, 1:59 AM EDT
Sometimes a picture is worth a thousand words. Courtesy of James Wisniewski’s Facebook page, we get a glimpse into just how bad those shots can be when the players skate off the ice with blood dripping from their face. Brutal—but something that happens in hockey all the time.
Wisniewski was sent to the hospital for observation and will not travel on the Canadiens charter to Calgary. Reports are the Habs defensemen suffered a broken cheekbone; which is good news considering there were fears it was an eye injury.
With the trade deadline looming and injuries all over the Canadiens’ blueline (Gorges, Markov), it will be interesting to see if this forces Montreal to acquire another defenseman. Newly acquired Paul Mara will be available for the Heritage Classic, but they still might need another to make a playoff push.
Here’s how it happened:
- Blackhawks tease good injury news for Kane 0
- Tough times in Tampa: Garrison out 3-4 weeks after ‘pretty dirty’ Abdelkader hit 17
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 28
- NHL on NBCSN: Stakes high for Kings, ‘Hawks tonight 21
- Blackhawks’ Sharp: ‘We knew we had to get two points’ 12
- Video: Brian Engblom takes a puck to the head 13
- Flames jump back into third in Pacific, beat Preds 6
- Letang concussed, Penguins will dress five defensemen 18
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks desperate for wins, Penguins seek definitive end to slump 7
- Video: Bolts lose Garrison, Paquette in loss to Wings 4