Feb 18, 2011, 1:59 AM EST
Sometimes a picture is worth a thousand words. Courtesy of James Wisniewski’s Facebook page, we get a glimpse into just how bad those shots can be when the players skate off the ice with blood dripping from their face. Brutal—but something that happens in hockey all the time.
Wisniewski was sent to the hospital for observation and will not travel on the Canadiens charter to Calgary. Reports are the Habs defensemen suffered a broken cheekbone; which is good news considering there were fears it was an eye injury.
With the trade deadline looming and injuries all over the Canadiens’ blueline (Gorges, Markov), it will be interesting to see if this forces Montreal to acquire another defenseman. Newly acquired Paul Mara will be available for the Heritage Classic, but they still might need another to make a playoff push.
Here’s how it happened:
- Bobrovsky out 4-6 weeks, Jackets recall goalie Forsberg 0
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 12
- From contract dispute to All-Star MVP, Johansen’s had quite the year 15
- Marc-Andre Fleury would like to remind the Columbus crowd that the Penguins beat the Blue Jackets in the playoffs 26
- Cannonball Run…and gun: Team Toews wins highest-scoring game in ASG history 23
- Supercut: Every goal from the highest-scoring period in All-Star Game history 7
- Video: Team Foligno survives shootout, wins Skills Competition 4
- Video: Weber wins hardest shot with 108.5 mph blast 13
- Video: Lightning’s Drouin wins fastest skater 7
- WATCH LIVE: NHL All-Star Skills Competition 2
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)
- Video: NHL offers Flyers’ Rinaldo in-person hearing (57)