Feb 18, 2011, 4:22 PM EDT
Carolina and San Jose got busy working the phones with each other today and cut two separate trades. The bigger of the two deals sends Ian White from Carolina to San Jose in exchange for a second round pick in 2012. White now joins his fourth team in 13 months having gone from Toronto to Calgary to Carolina and now landing in San Jose with the Sharks.
San Jose’s been in need of a better veteran presence along the blue line all season long and in White they get a guy who performed great last season with Toronto and Calgary amassing 13 goals and 25 assists. This year, things have been leaner for White pulling down just ten points, all assists, with the Hurricanes. Lately, he’s been a healthy scratch out of the lineup leading the speculation he’d be sent out of town. San Jose is hoping that a return to the Western Conference will help him find his game again.
In the other deal between these two, San Jose sent defenseman Derek Joslin to Carolina in exchange for future considerations. Joslin is 23 years-old and has been up and down between the AHL and NHL this year. In 17 games in San Jose, Joslin has a goal and four assists. While in Worcester in the AHL he’s got five goals and 27 assists in 55 games there. He’s a more offensive-minded defenseman and could find his game with more consistent minutes if he’s sent to Carolina right away.
These deals are a bit more important for San Jose in that it helps them out immediately along the blue line. It also helps them in the fantastic facial hair department in case Ian White decides to grow back his killer mustache for the playoffs. With Carolina adding Joslin it’s good for the future but getting rid of White’s contract gives them the budget space they’re looking for to make another addition to their team. They could be on the lookout for a defensive defenseman to help solidify their blue line and give them more of a stopper there. Their veteran guys are a bit more offensive minded in Joe Corvo and Joni Pitkanen and getting a stay-at-home guy would do wonders for them.
- Armstrong: ‘Let’s live to fight another day’ 0
- Hitch needs ‘time to reflect’ before making decision on future 17
- Rutherford admits mistakes, but has support of Penguins ownership 8
- Wings’ Kronwall has hearing today for hit on Kucherov 39
- Kucherov isn’t going to ‘cry’ about Kronwall hit 38
- Nothing but Kuznetsov: Caps best Isles in Game 7 26
- Not done yet: Lightning earn Game 7 against Red Wings 10
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 0
- Blues owner ‘disappointed and frustrated,’ but not ready to ‘throw people under the bus’ 31
- Despite ‘step in the right direction,’ do Canucks need to alter core? 16
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (110)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (99)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Friedman: Penguins need to ‘think about’ trading Malkin (89)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)