Feb 18, 2011, 12:17 PM EDT
One of the features of Hockey Day In America this year will take a look at what sorts of things feature hockey elsewhere across the country. One of the places where hockey is arguably the biggest part of life is Minnesota. In the land of 10,000 lakes they declare that they’re the “State of Hockey” and take great pride in what they do. From the Minnesota Wild to the annual high school hockey championships that sell out Xcel Energy Center in St. Paul each year, hockey is life.
One thing that occurs each year that really brings the game home to its roots in Minnesota is the annual U.S. Pond Hockey Championships at Lake Nokomis that takes place each January. Here, teams of friends gather together each year to try and win the coveted Golden Shovel at one of the most serene and picturesque settings in the wilderness that one could dream up. Men, women, children of all ages and skill levels all come out each year to celebrate the game in one of the most enjoyable ways possible.
Pond hockey is just a way of life for hockey lovers in Minnesota and we’ve got a sneak peak at what you’ll see this weekend on NBC as we scope out the roots of the game in the great white north.
- Stars win one night after Peverley collapse, give Miller first Blues loss 4
- Crosby, Pens continue recent dominance of Ovechkin, Caps 25
- Terry Trafford’s body found in Michigan on Tuesday 8
- PHT Extra: What happens if the Caps miss the playoffs? 18
- Wings can’t afford regulation loss to Jackets 6
- ‘It’s obvious Tortorella can’t come back next year,’ writes Vancouver reporter 60
- NHL on NBCSN: Capitals fight to earn first win vs. Penguins in 26 months 11
- Vanquished: Isles stun Canucks with seven-goal third period 27
- Peverley asked to return to game following ‘cardiac event’ 23
- Peverley hospitalized, conscious after collapsing on Stars bench (Update) 19
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Chiasson ‘shaken up’ by Peverley incident, won’t dress for Stars tonight (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (71)
- ‘It’s obvious Tortorella can’t come back next year,’ writes Vancouver reporter (60)