Feb 18, 2011, 12:17 PM EDT
One of the features of Hockey Day In America this year will take a look at what sorts of things feature hockey elsewhere across the country. One of the places where hockey is arguably the biggest part of life is Minnesota. In the land of 10,000 lakes they declare that they’re the “State of Hockey” and take great pride in what they do. From the Minnesota Wild to the annual high school hockey championships that sell out Xcel Energy Center in St. Paul each year, hockey is life.
One thing that occurs each year that really brings the game home to its roots in Minnesota is the annual U.S. Pond Hockey Championships at Lake Nokomis that takes place each January. Here, teams of friends gather together each year to try and win the coveted Golden Shovel at one of the most serene and picturesque settings in the wilderness that one could dream up. Men, women, children of all ages and skill levels all come out each year to celebrate the game in one of the most enjoyable ways possible.
Pond hockey is just a way of life for hockey lovers in Minnesota and we’ve got a sneak peak at what you’ll see this weekend on NBC as we scope out the roots of the game in the great white north.
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 45
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 67
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 27
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 40
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 40
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (67)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)