Feb 18, 2011, 12:17 PM EDT
One of the features of Hockey Day In America this year will take a look at what sorts of things feature hockey elsewhere across the country. One of the places where hockey is arguably the biggest part of life is Minnesota. In the land of 10,000 lakes they declare that they’re the “State of Hockey” and take great pride in what they do. From the Minnesota Wild to the annual high school hockey championships that sell out Xcel Energy Center in St. Paul each year, hockey is life.
One thing that occurs each year that really brings the game home to its roots in Minnesota is the annual U.S. Pond Hockey Championships at Lake Nokomis that takes place each January. Here, teams of friends gather together each year to try and win the coveted Golden Shovel at one of the most serene and picturesque settings in the wilderness that one could dream up. Men, women, children of all ages and skill levels all come out each year to celebrate the game in one of the most enjoyable ways possible.
Pond hockey is just a way of life for hockey lovers in Minnesota and we’ve got a sneak peak at what you’ll see this weekend on NBC as we scope out the roots of the game in the great white north.
- Rutherford on Fleury: ‘As long as I’m the GM, he’ll be our goalie’ 10
- Datsyuk will play tonight in Montreal 1
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers take on ‘Hawks in Chicago 8
- Jets’ Maurice apologizes for using the F-bomb at a reporter 28
- Video: Oilers win…? Oilers win! 3
- Bruins’ Miller out indefinitely after dislocating shoulder in fight 29
- Voynov released on $50K bond; NHL says ‘circumstances were different’ in Varlamov case 36
- Here are your top 5 and bottom 5 goalies of the young NHL season 13
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely 78
- Report: Brodie’s contract extension with Calgary expected Monday 0
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)