Feb 18, 2011, 12:17 PM EDT
One of the features of Hockey Day In America this year will take a look at what sorts of things feature hockey elsewhere across the country. One of the places where hockey is arguably the biggest part of life is Minnesota. In the land of 10,000 lakes they declare that they’re the “State of Hockey” and take great pride in what they do. From the Minnesota Wild to the annual high school hockey championships that sell out Xcel Energy Center in St. Paul each year, hockey is life.
One thing that occurs each year that really brings the game home to its roots in Minnesota is the annual U.S. Pond Hockey Championships at Lake Nokomis that takes place each January. Here, teams of friends gather together each year to try and win the coveted Golden Shovel at one of the most serene and picturesque settings in the wilderness that one could dream up. Men, women, children of all ages and skill levels all come out each year to celebrate the game in one of the most enjoyable ways possible.
Pond hockey is just a way of life for hockey lovers in Minnesota and we’ve got a sneak peak at what you’ll see this weekend on NBC as we scope out the roots of the game in the great white north.
- Video: Johnny Hockey puts on a show in Flames win 0
- Video: Red Wings’ fans show support for Gordie Howe 0
- Burrows suspended three games for ‘late hit to the head’ on Emelin 11
- Blues say Center for Disease Control hasn’t been to Scottrade, don’t plan on it coming 7
- Agent: Vanek was not ‘involved’ in money laundering 12
- Even after big changes, Isles still struggling defensively 13
- Back to junior: Sabres return Reinhart to WHL Kootenay 4
- Report: Phone hearing for Burrows, who says hit on Emelin wasn’t late 38
- Video: Burrows catches Emelin with a late hit (Updated) 12
- Report: Thomas Vanek involved in money laundering scandal 37
- Video: John Moore with an elbow to the head of Erik Haula (Updated) (62)
- Report: Varlamov being sued by ex-girlfriend (47)
- Kreider calls Brodin hit a ‘bang-bang play,’ doesn’t plan to dramatically change his game (46)
- No hearing scheduled for Kreider after Brodin hit (44)
- Kopitar out, Lombardi irate as Kings will play shorthanded vs. Flyers (40)