Feb 18, 2011, 12:08 AM EDT
It only took five and a half seasons, but on Thursday night, the NHL’s goaltending fraternity welcomed their newest member to the 200 win club. Henrik Lunqvist rode a 25 save effort and 2 saves in the shootout to his 22nd win on the season—reaching the milestone in a sold out Madison Square Garden.
After the game, Lundqvist was in an optimistic mood:
“It’s a really great feeling to reach that. It’s a milestone… I just hope I get the opportunity to stay here and get another 200.”
At least he’s setting the bar high. Considering the fact that he’s signed through the 2013-14 season, that mark might be within reach one day. Then again, it helps when he plays 70+ games every season.
By winning his 200th game in the NHL, Lundqvist became the 5th player in Rangers history to reach the milestone. Since joining New York in the 2005-06 season, he’s owned the Rangers’ net like Sean Avery owns a runway. His career .918 save percentage and 2.33 goals against average has put him among the league’s elite netminders since the lockout. If his health can stand up to the rigorous demands of 70 games per season and Glen Sather can put a good enough team in front of him, I wouldn’t put 200 more victories past him.
- Video: Beauties from Perry, Eberle and Duchene 0
- Ghost Time: Flyers recall Gostisbehere from AHL 17
- Trotz calls Healy’s comments on Ovechkin (and Ovechkin’s mom) ‘disrespectful’ 25
- Report: Billionaire wants NHL team in Vegas; new Coyotes owner ‘sees flipping the team as a good investment’ 23
- Chara has PCL tear, out 4-6 weeks 19
- Coburn, MacDonald out four weeks with lower-body injuries 19
- Red-hot Quick sets new Kings’ franchise shutout record 9
- Reports: Chara could miss at least 4-6 weeks with knee injury 13
- Video: Red Wings’ stars stun Penguins with late surge 31
- Report: Isles’ Bailey out indefinitely after breaking hand 3
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (82)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)