Feb 18, 2011, 12:08 AM EST
It only took five and a half seasons, but on Thursday night, the NHL’s goaltending fraternity welcomed their newest member to the 200 win club. Henrik Lunqvist rode a 25 save effort and 2 saves in the shootout to his 22nd win on the season—reaching the milestone in a sold out Madison Square Garden.
After the game, Lundqvist was in an optimistic mood:
“It’s a really great feeling to reach that. It’s a milestone… I just hope I get the opportunity to stay here and get another 200.”
At least he’s setting the bar high. Considering the fact that he’s signed through the 2013-14 season, that mark might be within reach one day. Then again, it helps when he plays 70+ games every season.
By winning his 200th game in the NHL, Lundqvist became the 5th player in Rangers history to reach the milestone. Since joining New York in the 2005-06 season, he’s owned the Rangers’ net like Sean Avery owns a runway. His career .918 save percentage and 2.33 goals against average has put him among the league’s elite netminders since the lockout. If his health can stand up to the rigorous demands of 70 games per season and Glen Sather can put a good enough team in front of him, I wouldn’t put 200 more victories past him.
- ‘We can build on this': Devils lose with Lou Lamoriello behind the bench 1
- Video: Nyquist scores OT winner on incredible individual effort 3
- Video: Ovechkin crushes Letang, Capitals cruise by the Penguins 4
- Video: Prout, Lucic drop the gloves in highly anticipated scrap 55
- Video: NHL on NBC panel breaks down the coaching situation in New Jersey 2
- Lou Lamoriello unveils highly unorthodox coaching plan 37
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks, Kings renew hostilities 3
- NHL on NBCSN: Can Capitals take advantage of depleted Penguins? 2
- Team Canada crushes Slovakia 14
- Criticism spreads to GM Lou Lamoriello after Devils fire DeBoer 10
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (76)
- Video: Prout, Lucic drop the gloves in highly anticipated scrap (57)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)