Feb 18, 2011, 3:44 PM EST
While the Coyotes are locked into a six-game winning streak at the moment, the road ahead is about to get a lot harder without one of their defensive stalwarts. Ed Jovanovski was placed on injured reserve today with a broken orbital bone that will require surgery to repair. It’s a tough blow for Phoenix as Jovanovski’s presence on the blue line with both some offensive touch and a physical presence capable of intimidation.
If there’s an upside for Phoenix here it’s that they’ve had more than a couple instances this season where they got used to playing without Jovanovski in the lineup as he’s missed 12 games this year with other ailments. With five goals and nine assists this year, Jovanovski has been a solid presence along the blue line for Phoenix and an ideal compliment for the likes of Keith Yandle and Adrian Aucoin.
If Phoenix can weather the storm without Jovanovski and continue their rise in the Western Conference they’ll be better off for it. With the race in the Pacific Division being as close as it is as Phoenix leads by one point and is three ahead of last place, any sort of slip up can be costly. David Schlemko was called up to fill in Jovanovski’s place on the roster.
- Neal admits kneeing Marchand was ‘not the smartest decision’ 62
- Leafs captain Phaneuf suspended two games for boarding 37
- Rangers confirm Staal suffered concussion 7
- Winnipeg to get outdoor game; Phoenix wants one 33
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head 156
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller 104
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 133
- Lecavalier out 3-4 weeks with non-displaced fracture in back 8
- Islanders players hold closed-door meeting after ninth straight loss 15
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand 90
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (133)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (112)