Feb 17, 2011, 6:11 PM EST
With Thrashers owner Michael Gearon sounding off yesterday about how the Thrashers are struggling in Atlanta worries sparked almost immediately about who would help out and where they might land if they’re moved. The real side effect of all that may have been to just beat the bushes and shake someone out of hiding. If that was the case, Gearon wins this round.
Filmmaker and Atlanta native Stephen Rollins is apparently interested in purchasing the team.
Rollins is the head of Lightning Pictures. He says he has talked with NHL Commissioner Gary Bettman. Rollins says the Thrashers “want to do something pretty quickly” but his group is cautiously seeking “adequate data” on the team’s finances.
This arrangement sounds similar to the one the the NHL has going with Matthew Hulsizer and the Phoenix Coyotes, a deal that has still yet to be approved and finalized in Arizona.
Rollins isn’t a novice when it comes to hockey as his IMDB profile says he’s got a recent past with the game and even played in Roller Hockey International with the New Jersey Rock ‘n Rollers. Hey, it’s something to run with here.
If Rollins is the guy to save the day for the Thrashers, Gearon’s threats of relocation might be all for naught as you’d have to imagine a guy with an Atlanta background is going to jump in looking to be the local savior. Of course if Rollins is scared off by the financial particulars involved in the deal, we can’t exactly blame him.
Of course, part of the problem in Atlanta just might be because the owners that bought the team were looking to get out and the fans have a hard time buying into a team that the owners aren’t really trying to do anything with. Still, it’s positive to see instant interest in the team. Whether or not Rollins is at all serious remains to be seen but these things can develop fast, look at how quickly things happened with Jeff Vinik with the Lightning. It’s a small glimmer of hope for the Thrashers, but it’s a good thing for now.
- Report: Rob Blake would be Brendan Shanahan’s first choice to replace Dave Nonis 3
- Bettman would be ‘kicking and screaming’ before NHL jerseys have ads 14
- Comparing the records of all 30 teams in the last two months 58
- Lightning ride Paquette’s first hat trick to Atlantic lead 8
- Price wins goalie duel vs. Lundqvist as Habs edge Rangers 4
- Leafs’ luck: Bernier gives up long distance goal, things unravel in third 20
- AHL announces new Pacific Division — who could go west next? 36
- Babcock didn’t think Wings would be ‘near where we’re at’ 16
- Brodeur announces retirement, leaves ‘the game with a big smile on my face’ 16
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks’ ‘dog fight’ continues vs. red hot Ducks 5