Feb 17, 2011, 8:00 AM EDT
For recaps of Wednesday’s first five games, click here. Let’s get to the late contests.
As you can see from the final score, it was a wide-open and somewhat ridiculous game. It might be the kind of win that can spark a hot streak for the Capitals, though, as Alexander Semin scored a hat trick while Alex Ovechkin produced another highlight reel goal.
The Ducks’ top line almost won it for them, as both Ryan Getzlaf and Corey Perry scored a goal and three assists while Bobby Ryan scored a goal and an assist himself. It wasn’t enough, though, as the Capitals prevailed in the scoring frenzy.
The Penguins eked out a win in a battle between two battered, struggling hockey teams thanks to an overtime game-winning power-play goal by Tyler Kennedy. Marc-Andre Fleury earned his 27th win of the season after making 29 saves.
Despite their struggles, Pittsburgh still boast the second most points in the East with 76, but they remain five points behind first-place Philadelphia. The Avalanche have lost a bewildering 10 games in a row.
The Flames and Stars seem like their meeting each other at a fork in the road, with Dallas heading down the standings as Calgary climbs up. The game’s most symbolic moment probably came when Brenden Morrow somehow missed a wide open net after Mike Ribeiro set the table. The two teams’ last 10 game records tells it all: the Flames are 7-1-2 while the Stars are 2-7-1.
- Canadiens push Lightning to brink of elimination with 3-2 win 11
- WATCH LIVE: Los Angeles Kings at San Jose Sharks (Game 2) 0
- Bad luck strikes twice: Lightning goal waved off, Stamkos takes knee to head 73
- Bruins handle Red Wings 4-1, tie series 1-1 35
- Flyers overcome two-goal deficit to finally win at MSG 53
- NHL suspends Seabrook three games for charging into Backes 85
- MacKinnon, Avs shine against Wild, take 2-0 series lead 24
- Video: Roenick says MacKinnon is more dominant at 18 than Crosby was 28
- Blue Jackets gain first-ever playoff win, tie series with Penguins 1-1 49
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) 136
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (136)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (116)
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh (113)
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)
- NHL suspends Seabrook three games for charging into Backes (85)