Feb 17, 2011, 8:00 AM EST
For recaps of Wednesday’s first five games, click here. Let’s get to the late contests.
As you can see from the final score, it was a wide-open and somewhat ridiculous game. It might be the kind of win that can spark a hot streak for the Capitals, though, as Alexander Semin scored a hat trick while Alex Ovechkin produced another highlight reel goal.
The Ducks’ top line almost won it for them, as both Ryan Getzlaf and Corey Perry scored a goal and three assists while Bobby Ryan scored a goal and an assist himself. It wasn’t enough, though, as the Capitals prevailed in the scoring frenzy.
The Penguins eked out a win in a battle between two battered, struggling hockey teams thanks to an overtime game-winning power-play goal by Tyler Kennedy. Marc-Andre Fleury earned his 27th win of the season after making 29 saves.
Despite their struggles, Pittsburgh still boast the second most points in the East with 76, but they remain five points behind first-place Philadelphia. The Avalanche have lost a bewildering 10 games in a row.
The Flames and Stars seem like their meeting each other at a fork in the road, with Dallas heading down the standings as Calgary climbs up. The game’s most symbolic moment probably came when Brenden Morrow somehow missed a wide open net after Mike Ribeiro set the table. The two teams’ last 10 game records tells it all: the Flames are 7-1-2 while the Stars are 2-7-1.
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 0
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 48
- Doan: Coyotes rebuild was ‘not my idea, not my ideal situation’ 24
- Video: Kessel says the way Toronto media treats Phaneuf is ‘embarrassing’ 46
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 9
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 49
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline 78
- Giordano to have surgery, is ‘done for the season’ 22
- PHT’s 2015 NHL Trade Deadline Tracker 36
- Ducks get their veteran d-man, adding Wisniewski from Columbus 15
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)