Feb 17, 2011, 8:00 AM EST
For recaps of Wednesday’s first five games, click here. Let’s get to the late contests.
As you can see from the final score, it was a wide-open and somewhat ridiculous game. It might be the kind of win that can spark a hot streak for the Capitals, though, as Alexander Semin scored a hat trick while Alex Ovechkin produced another highlight reel goal.
The Ducks’ top line almost won it for them, as both Ryan Getzlaf and Corey Perry scored a goal and three assists while Bobby Ryan scored a goal and an assist himself. It wasn’t enough, though, as the Capitals prevailed in the scoring frenzy.
The Penguins eked out a win in a battle between two battered, struggling hockey teams thanks to an overtime game-winning power-play goal by Tyler Kennedy. Marc-Andre Fleury earned his 27th win of the season after making 29 saves.
Despite their struggles, Pittsburgh still boast the second most points in the East with 76, but they remain five points behind first-place Philadelphia. The Avalanche have lost a bewildering 10 games in a row.
The Flames and Stars seem like their meeting each other at a fork in the road, with Dallas heading down the standings as Calgary climbs up. The game’s most symbolic moment probably came when Brenden Morrow somehow missed a wide open net after Mike Ribeiro set the table. The two teams’ last 10 game records tells it all: the Flames are 7-1-2 while the Stars are 2-7-1.
- Comparing the records of all 30 teams in the last two months 58
- Lightning ride Paquette’s first hat trick to Atlantic lead 8
- Price wins goalie duel vs. Lundqvist as Habs edge Rangers 4
- Leafs’ luck: Bernier gives up long distance goal, things unravel in third 20
- AHL announces new Pacific Division — who could go west next? 36
- Babcock didn’t think Wings would be ‘near where we’re at’ 16
- Brodeur announces retirement, leaves ‘the game with a big smile on my face’ 16
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks’ ‘dog fight’ continues vs. red hot Ducks 5
- NHL on NBCSN: Rangers, Canadiens seek edge as divisional battles intensify 2
- Struggling Kings complete the comeback against Blackhawks 12