Feb 17, 2011, 8:00 AM EDT
For recaps of Wednesday’s first five games, click here. Let’s get to the late contests.
As you can see from the final score, it was a wide-open and somewhat ridiculous game. It might be the kind of win that can spark a hot streak for the Capitals, though, as Alexander Semin scored a hat trick while Alex Ovechkin produced another highlight reel goal.
The Ducks’ top line almost won it for them, as both Ryan Getzlaf and Corey Perry scored a goal and three assists while Bobby Ryan scored a goal and an assist himself. It wasn’t enough, though, as the Capitals prevailed in the scoring frenzy.
The Penguins eked out a win in a battle between two battered, struggling hockey teams thanks to an overtime game-winning power-play goal by Tyler Kennedy. Marc-Andre Fleury earned his 27th win of the season after making 29 saves.
Despite their struggles, Pittsburgh still boast the second most points in the East with 76, but they remain five points behind first-place Philadelphia. The Avalanche have lost a bewildering 10 games in a row.
The Flames and Stars seem like their meeting each other at a fork in the road, with Dallas heading down the standings as Calgary climbs up. The game’s most symbolic moment probably came when Brenden Morrow somehow missed a wide open net after Mike Ribeiro set the table. The two teams’ last 10 game records tells it all: the Flames are 7-1-2 while the Stars are 2-7-1.
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins 6
- Video: Pittsburgh pays tribute to Ottawa tragedy with O Canada rendition 4
- Video: McKenzie talks latest from Ottawa shootings, Voynov investigation 0
- WATCH LIVE: Pittsburgh vs. Philly on Rivalry Night 3
- Wild, Coyle agree on five-year contract extension 14
- The Flyers ‘have Mason’s back’ 9
- Postponed: NHL to reschedule Sens-Leafs in wake of Ottawa shootings 34
- NHL monitoring situation in Ottawa 23
- Lawyer: ‘Mr. Voynov never hit the woman’ 32
- NHL on NBCSN: Hungry Flyers set sights on rival Penguins 30
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (57)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)