Feb 17, 2011, 8:00 AM EST
For recaps of Wednesday’s first five games, click here. Let’s get to the late contests.
As you can see from the final score, it was a wide-open and somewhat ridiculous game. It might be the kind of win that can spark a hot streak for the Capitals, though, as Alexander Semin scored a hat trick while Alex Ovechkin produced another highlight reel goal.
The Ducks’ top line almost won it for them, as both Ryan Getzlaf and Corey Perry scored a goal and three assists while Bobby Ryan scored a goal and an assist himself. It wasn’t enough, though, as the Capitals prevailed in the scoring frenzy.
The Penguins eked out a win in a battle between two battered, struggling hockey teams thanks to an overtime game-winning power-play goal by Tyler Kennedy. Marc-Andre Fleury earned his 27th win of the season after making 29 saves.
Despite their struggles, Pittsburgh still boast the second most points in the East with 76, but they remain five points behind first-place Philadelphia. The Avalanche have lost a bewildering 10 games in a row.
The Flames and Stars seem like their meeting each other at a fork in the road, with Dallas heading down the standings as Calgary climbs up. The game’s most symbolic moment probably came when Brenden Morrow somehow missed a wide open net after Mike Ribeiro set the table. The two teams’ last 10 game records tells it all: the Flames are 7-1-2 while the Stars are 2-7-1.
- ‘We can build on this': Devils lose with Lou Lamoriello behind the bench 1
- Video: Nyquist scores OT winner on incredible individual effort 3
- Video: Ovechkin crushes Letang, Capitals cruise by the Penguins 4
- Video: Prout, Lucic drop the gloves in highly anticipated scrap 55
- Video: NHL on NBC panel breaks down the coaching situation in New Jersey 2
- Lou Lamoriello unveils highly unorthodox coaching plan 37
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks, Kings renew hostilities 3
- NHL on NBCSN: Can Capitals take advantage of depleted Penguins? 2
- Team Canada crushes Slovakia 14
- Criticism spreads to GM Lou Lamoriello after Devils fire DeBoer 10
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (76)
- Video: Prout, Lucic drop the gloves in highly anticipated scrap (56)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)