Feb 17, 2011, 9:00 AM EDT
Aside from the occasional night off – or the even less common instance when a save or goal isn’t deemed worthy – the gang at PHT will decide which tally or stop is the best of any given night. Once those two winners are determined, we’ll share our reasoning (and most importantly, the video clip for each) in posts for your viewing pleasure.
Honestly, it was very difficult not to give Wednesday’s award to Ilya Kovalchuk or Alexander Semin. Kovalchuk scored an absolutely brilliant goal while shaking off Joe Corvo, a great example of his blazing hot streak. Semin had one of the night’s best overall performances, scoring a hat trick to help the Capitals beat the Ducks.
Yet it was their countryman and Semin’s teammate who scored the most exhilarating tally of the night. Some might expect such goals from Ovechkin in a way that parallels a basketball fan becoming jaded about Blake Griffin’s dunks, but that doesn’t change the fact that it’s a great moment. Check it out below … and insert your “Point Break” jokes/Patrick Swayze and Keanu Reeves impressions as you please.
- Big money: Tarasenko signs eight-year, $60 million extension with Blues 75
- Blackhawks extend TVR through 2017-18 3
- Good start: McDavid scores five in Oilers scrimmage 33
- Caps ink Kuznetsov to two-year, $6 million extension 9
- Bruins sign three — Hayes, Connolly, and DeFazio 12
- Babcock expects Kadri to be ‘an elite player’ 15
- No expansion bid expected from Kansas City 37
- Leafs sign Matthias — one year, $2.3 million 17
- Report: Kopitar, Kings in ‘early stages of negotiations’ for extension 12
- Arbitration filed: Holtby, Nyquist & Stepan highlight list released by NHLPA 15
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Expansion process underway as NHL sends out applications (94)
- Big money: Tarasenko signs eight-year, $60 million extension with Blues (76)
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 (74)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)