Feb 17, 2011, 9:00 AM EDT
Aside from the occasional night off – or the even less common instance when a save or goal isn’t deemed worthy – the gang at PHT will decide which tally or stop is the best of any given night. Once those two winners are determined, we’ll share our reasoning (and most importantly, the video clip for each) in posts for your viewing pleasure.
Honestly, it was very difficult not to give Wednesday’s award to Ilya Kovalchuk or Alexander Semin. Kovalchuk scored an absolutely brilliant goal while shaking off Joe Corvo, a great example of his blazing hot streak. Semin had one of the night’s best overall performances, scoring a hat trick to help the Capitals beat the Ducks.
Yet it was their countryman and Semin’s teammate who scored the most exhilarating tally of the night. Some might expect such goals from Ovechkin in a way that parallels a basketball fan becoming jaded about Blake Griffin’s dunks, but that doesn’t change the fact that it’s a great moment. Check it out below … and insert your “Point Break” jokes/Patrick Swayze and Keanu Reeves impressions as you please.
- Duchene slams Russian players for storming off after Canada’s 2015 WHC win 18
- DeBoer predicts ‘big bounce-back’ in San Jose 11
- Sabres name Bylsma head coach 41
- Lundqvist on Game 7: ‘You’re definitely nervous, but it comes down to teamwork’ 16
- Report: Bylsma to Sabres being held up by compensation issue 56
- Stanley Cup Final to begin June 3 7
- Caps’ Backstrom undergoes arthroscopic hip surgery 6
- Report: Sens’ Murray to retire after next season 1
- Of course: ‘Hawks, Ducks’ back-and-forth series is going to Game 7 49
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 6 1
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks (66)
- Report: Bylsma to Sabres being held up by compensation issue (56)
- On Kreider, and trying ‘to turn the other cheek’ (54)
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL (53)