Feb 17, 2011, 9:00 AM EDT
Aside from the occasional night off – or the even less common instance when a save or goal isn’t deemed worthy – the gang at PHT will decide which tally or stop is the best of any given night. Once those two winners are determined, we’ll share our reasoning (and most importantly, the video clip for each) in posts for your viewing pleasure.
Honestly, it was very difficult not to give Wednesday’s award to Ilya Kovalchuk or Alexander Semin. Kovalchuk scored an absolutely brilliant goal while shaking off Joe Corvo, a great example of his blazing hot streak. Semin had one of the night’s best overall performances, scoring a hat trick to help the Capitals beat the Ducks.
Yet it was their countryman and Semin’s teammate who scored the most exhilarating tally of the night. Some might expect such goals from Ovechkin in a way that parallels a basketball fan becoming jaded about Blake Griffin’s dunks, but that doesn’t change the fact that it’s a great moment. Check it out below … and insert your “Point Break” jokes/Patrick Swayze and Keanu Reeves impressions as you please.
- Workhorse goalies, forwards from last season 9
- Five interesting players still on UFA market 34
- Trotz will still cheer for Preds ‘like crazy’ 4
- Hextall: Advanced statistics small, but meaningful part of Kings’ success 7
- Hayes sees opportunity with Rangers 27
- Fanspeak: Martin Brodeur named greatest Devil in franchise history 14
- Devils’ Gomez considered retirement 7
- It’s New Jersey Devils day on PHT 22
- Fanspeak: Bobby Orr named best Bruin in franchise history 30
- Video: Bruins participate in commercials to promote NHL 15 6