Feb 17, 2011, 9:00 AM EST
Aside from the occasional night off – or the even less common instance when a save or goal isn’t deemed worthy – the gang at PHT will decide which tally or stop is the best of any given night. Once those two winners are determined, we’ll share our reasoning (and most importantly, the video clip for each) in posts for your viewing pleasure.
Honestly, it was very difficult not to give Wednesday’s award to Ilya Kovalchuk or Alexander Semin. Kovalchuk scored an absolutely brilliant goal while shaking off Joe Corvo, a great example of his blazing hot streak. Semin had one of the night’s best overall performances, scoring a hat trick to help the Capitals beat the Ducks.
Yet it was their countryman and Semin’s teammate who scored the most exhilarating tally of the night. Some might expect such goals from Ovechkin in a way that parallels a basketball fan becoming jaded about Blake Griffin’s dunks, but that doesn’t change the fact that it’s a great moment. Check it out below … and insert your “Point Break” jokes/Patrick Swayze and Keanu Reeves impressions as you please.
- Stomach flu makes Lightning’s Johnson a surprise scratch 0
- Flyers’ Mason tweaked back, will miss weekend games 8
- Gordie Howe makes ‘amazing’ recovery following stem cell treatment in Mexico 10
- Video: Penguins’ spoof of ‘Christmas Vacation’ is pretty good 14
- Mason hurt, helped off ice at end of Flyers practice 8
- Could Vermette land in Washington? 6
- Pens confirm Maatta has the mumps 5
- As holiday roster freeze approaches, Bruins linked to Oshie, Kassian 27
- Video: Pacioretty taken to hospital, reportedly no hearing expected for Stoner after questionable hit 34
- Video: Canadiens honor long-time captain Saku Koivu 2