Feb 17, 2011, 9:00 AM EST
Aside from the occasional night off – or the even less common instance when a save or goal isn’t deemed worthy – the gang at PHT will decide which tally or stop is the best of any given night. Once those two winners are determined, we’ll share our reasoning (and most importantly, the video clip for each) in posts for your viewing pleasure.
Honestly, it was very difficult not to give Wednesday’s award to Ilya Kovalchuk or Alexander Semin. Kovalchuk scored an absolutely brilliant goal while shaking off Joe Corvo, a great example of his blazing hot streak. Semin had one of the night’s best overall performances, scoring a hat trick to help the Capitals beat the Ducks.
Yet it was their countryman and Semin’s teammate who scored the most exhilarating tally of the night. Some might expect such goals from Ovechkin in a way that parallels a basketball fan becoming jaded about Blake Griffin’s dunks, but that doesn’t change the fact that it’s a great moment. Check it out below … and insert your “Point Break” jokes/Patrick Swayze and Keanu Reeves impressions as you please.
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang 41
- Isles’ rise to be tested as they lose Okposo for 6-8 weeks 16
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards 117
- Bobrovsky out 4-6 weeks, Jackets recall goalie Forsberg 3
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 23
- From contract dispute to All-Star MVP, Johansen’s had quite the year 17
- Marc-Andre Fleury would like to remind the Columbus crowd that the Penguins beat the Blue Jackets in the playoffs 32
- Cannonball Run…and gun: Team Toews wins highest-scoring game in ASG history 27
- Supercut: Every goal from the highest-scoring period in All-Star Game history 7
- Video: Team Foligno survives shootout, wins Skills Competition 4
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards (121)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)