Feb 17, 2011, 6:36 PM EDT
The Anaheim Ducks have announced they have acquired gritty LW Jarkko Ruutu for a 6th round pick in the 2011 Entry Draft. If there were any questions that the fire-sale in Ottawa was in full swing, Bryan Murray is waiting for you on Line 1.
In Ruutu, the Ducks will look to add some much needed depth to their stable of forwards. In 50 games this season, Ruutu has 2 goals and 8 assists—but boxcar stats are beside the point. Ruutu will be a player who can step in from Day 1 and help the Ducks on their penalty kill unit and help keep the puck out of his own net more than anything else. Coming off the heels of a 7-6 loss to the Capitals, defense is probably in the forefront of Anaheim GM Bob Murray’s mind. And if he was looking for a guy who could fit with their team identity, Ruutu certainly fits the bill.
“Jarkko is an effective, two-way player that we feel will help us down the stretch,” said Executive Vice President/General Manager Bob Murray. “He’s the energetic, gritty type of addition we were looking for.”
From Ottawa’s point of view, they continue to sell anything that’s not bolted to the floor. In less than a week, Bryan Murray has acquired a 1st and conditional 2nd/3rd round pick in the Mike Fisher trade, a 2nd rounder for Chris Kelly, and now a 6th round pick for Ruutu. Needless to say, the white flag has been raised on the season and Murray is getting anything possible to help the future.
- Are the Pens leaning towards trading Letang? (Updated) 50
- Playoffs Tonight: Can ‘Hawks solve Rask? 19
- Sakic: If we keep top pick, we’ll likely draft a forward 20
- Report: Flyers will buy out Briere, Bryzgalov another story (Updated) 37
- Report: Flyers, Ducks talking about Bobby Ryan 60
- Marchand accuses ‘kitty cat’ Shaw of eye gouging 101
- Quenneville says Hossa is ‘likely’ to play Game 4 12
- Datsyuk announces three-year, $22.5 million extension with Red Wings 12
- Bruins go ‘above and beyond’ to take 2-1 series lead 47
- Chicago’s powerless power play — it’s a problem 4
- Heat rally to beat Spurs in Game 6
- PBT: After blowing lead, can Spurs rebound in Game 7?
- CSN: Report: Hernandez 'not ruled out' as suspect
- PHT: Can Blackhawks solve Rask in Game 4?
- PST: On-fire Altidore lifts USA over Honduras in WCQ
- Underseeded? Nadal draws No. 5 at Wimbledon
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead