Feb 17, 2011, 6:36 PM EDT
The Anaheim Ducks have announced they have acquired gritty LW Jarkko Ruutu for a 6th round pick in the 2011 Entry Draft. If there were any questions that the fire-sale in Ottawa was in full swing, Bryan Murray is waiting for you on Line 1.
In Ruutu, the Ducks will look to add some much needed depth to their stable of forwards. In 50 games this season, Ruutu has 2 goals and 8 assists—but boxcar stats are beside the point. Ruutu will be a player who can step in from Day 1 and help the Ducks on their penalty kill unit and help keep the puck out of his own net more than anything else. Coming off the heels of a 7-6 loss to the Capitals, defense is probably in the forefront of Anaheim GM Bob Murray’s mind. And if he was looking for a guy who could fit with their team identity, Ruutu certainly fits the bill.
“Jarkko is an effective, two-way player that we feel will help us down the stretch,” said Executive Vice President/General Manager Bob Murray. “He’s the energetic, gritty type of addition we were looking for.”
From Ottawa’s point of view, they continue to sell anything that’s not bolted to the floor. In less than a week, Bryan Murray has acquired a 1st and conditional 2nd/3rd round pick in the Mike Fisher trade, a 2nd rounder for Chris Kelly, and now a 6th round pick for Ruutu. Needless to say, the white flag has been raised on the season and Murray is getting anything possible to help the future.
- Pressing Question: Can the Blackhawks avoid the Stanley Cup hangover? 0
- Florida wins ’14 NHL draft lottery, will pick first overall 33
- Philly mum on Mason’s availability for Game 1 vs. Rangers 23
- Pressing question: Can the Blues get back on track? 16
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension 90
- Sabres, Panthers have best odds for 2014 NHL draft lottery 16
- Leafs ‘lack an identity,’ says Leiweke 30
- On the hot seat: McPhee will ‘talk in a couple of days’ 21
- Bruins are 7/2 favorites to win the Stanley Cup; Blues next at 6/1 48
- End of an era: Trotz out as Nashville head coach 40
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (90)
- Lightning’s Malone arrested for DUI, cocaine possession (73)
- Update: Daniel Sedin in stable condition, hospitalized after scary hit (58)
- Halak’s agent ‘bewildered’ by Oates’ remarks prior to Blues game (51)
- Here’s the schedule for the first round of the 2014 playoffs (51)