Feb 17, 2011, 6:36 PM EDT
The Anaheim Ducks have announced they have acquired gritty LW Jarkko Ruutu for a 6th round pick in the 2011 Entry Draft. If there were any questions that the fire-sale in Ottawa was in full swing, Bryan Murray is waiting for you on Line 1.
In Ruutu, the Ducks will look to add some much needed depth to their stable of forwards. In 50 games this season, Ruutu has 2 goals and 8 assists—but boxcar stats are beside the point. Ruutu will be a player who can step in from Day 1 and help the Ducks on their penalty kill unit and help keep the puck out of his own net more than anything else. Coming off the heels of a 7-6 loss to the Capitals, defense is probably in the forefront of Anaheim GM Bob Murray’s mind. And if he was looking for a guy who could fit with their team identity, Ruutu certainly fits the bill.
“Jarkko is an effective, two-way player that we feel will help us down the stretch,” said Executive Vice President/General Manager Bob Murray. “He’s the energetic, gritty type of addition we were looking for.”
From Ottawa’s point of view, they continue to sell anything that’s not bolted to the floor. In less than a week, Bryan Murray has acquired a 1st and conditional 2nd/3rd round pick in the Mike Fisher trade, a 2nd rounder for Chris Kelly, and now a 6th round pick for Ruutu. Needless to say, the white flag has been raised on the season and Murray is getting anything possible to help the future.
- Canucks ink Brandon Sutter to five-year, $21.875 million extension 18
- NHL unveils ‘historic’ digital media rights deal with MLBAM 36
- It’s Detroit Red Wings Day at PHT 15
- What does Jack Eichel mean to the Buffalo Sabres? 32
- It’s Buffalo Sabres Day at PHT 33
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 29
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 62
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? (62)
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs (45)
- Owner Pegula: Sabres have gone through ‘two of the most successful seasons we’ve ever had’ (43)
- NHL unveils ‘historic’ digital media rights deal with MLBAM (37)