Feb 17, 2011, 6:36 PM EDT
The Anaheim Ducks have announced they have acquired gritty LW Jarkko Ruutu for a 6th round pick in the 2011 Entry Draft. If there were any questions that the fire-sale in Ottawa was in full swing, Bryan Murray is waiting for you on Line 1.
In Ruutu, the Ducks will look to add some much needed depth to their stable of forwards. In 50 games this season, Ruutu has 2 goals and 8 assists—but boxcar stats are beside the point. Ruutu will be a player who can step in from Day 1 and help the Ducks on their penalty kill unit and help keep the puck out of his own net more than anything else. Coming off the heels of a 7-6 loss to the Capitals, defense is probably in the forefront of Anaheim GM Bob Murray’s mind. And if he was looking for a guy who could fit with their team identity, Ruutu certainly fits the bill.
“Jarkko is an effective, two-way player that we feel will help us down the stretch,” said Executive Vice President/General Manager Bob Murray. “He’s the energetic, gritty type of addition we were looking for.”
From Ottawa’s point of view, they continue to sell anything that’s not bolted to the floor. In less than a week, Bryan Murray has acquired a 1st and conditional 2nd/3rd round pick in the Mike Fisher trade, a 2nd rounder for Chris Kelly, and now a 6th round pick for Ruutu. Needless to say, the white flag has been raised on the season and Murray is getting anything possible to help the future.
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 65
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 28
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50
- Here’s the full NHL 2015 preseason schedule, starting Sept. 20 5
- Wild assistant Sydor arrested for suspected drunk driving, child endangerment 30
- It’s Montreal Canadiens day at PHT 14
- Capitals’ biggest question: Is this finally the year? 32
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance (65)
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process (50)
- Editorial rips Flames’ request for ‘ludicrous amount of taxpayer support’ to build arena (45)
- Capitals’ biggest question: Is this finally the year? (32)
- It’s Philadelphia Flyers Day at PHT (31)