Feb 17, 2011, 6:36 PM EDT
The Anaheim Ducks have announced they have acquired gritty LW Jarkko Ruutu for a 6th round pick in the 2011 Entry Draft. If there were any questions that the fire-sale in Ottawa was in full swing, Bryan Murray is waiting for you on Line 1.
In Ruutu, the Ducks will look to add some much needed depth to their stable of forwards. In 50 games this season, Ruutu has 2 goals and 8 assists—but boxcar stats are beside the point. Ruutu will be a player who can step in from Day 1 and help the Ducks on their penalty kill unit and help keep the puck out of his own net more than anything else. Coming off the heels of a 7-6 loss to the Capitals, defense is probably in the forefront of Anaheim GM Bob Murray’s mind. And if he was looking for a guy who could fit with their team identity, Ruutu certainly fits the bill.
“Jarkko is an effective, two-way player that we feel will help us down the stretch,” said Executive Vice President/General Manager Bob Murray. “He’s the energetic, gritty type of addition we were looking for.”
From Ottawa’s point of view, they continue to sell anything that’s not bolted to the floor. In less than a week, Bryan Murray has acquired a 1st and conditional 2nd/3rd round pick in the Mike Fisher trade, a 2nd rounder for Chris Kelly, and now a 6th round pick for Ruutu. Needless to say, the white flag has been raised on the season and Murray is getting anything possible to help the future.
- Bishop bounced back in Game 5, but did the Rangers test him enough? 3
- Surging Stamkos: Lightning put Rangers on the brink 15
- Report: Blues will stick with Hitchcock ‘barring anything dramatic’ 11
- WATCH LIVE: Lightning at Rangers, Game 5 of Eastern Conference Final 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ 40
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 5
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks 60
- Video: Ducks score three goals in 37 seconds to take third-period lead 9
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 4 0
- Cooper on replacing Bishop: ‘That is asinine to me’ 25
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)