Feb 17, 2011, 11:50 AM EDT
Columbus’ Derick Brassard can’t seem to catch a good break. Brassard was put on injured reserve today by the Blue Jackets and will be out 2-3 weeks. Aaron Portzline of The Columbus Dispatch reports that while the Jackets didn’t specify what the problem is, it’s believed to be a left hand injury and he’ll require and MRI to figure out what is wrong.
Twice before in his career he’s been in the midst of a great season only to have something freakish occur and put him out of action for a stretch of time. When coming up as a rookie in the AHL, Brassard was named rookie of the month in his first month of playing only to suffer a broken jaw that put him out for two months.
In a freakish coincidence, in 2008 he was off to a roaring start with Columbus winning the NHL Rookie of the Month award in October 2008 but saw his season ended after 31 games when he suffered a season-ending shoulder injury after fighting Dallas’ James Neal. Brassard hasn’t quite reached the “wrap him in bubble wrap” levels of being injury prone, but he was slow to get back to his game when he returned from that shoulder injury last season scoring just nine goals and 27 assists in 79 games.
This year, things have been a lot better as he’s third on the Jackets in scoring with 14 goals and 25 assists and has been key to getting Rick Nash and Jakub Voracek going offensively. The Jackets will have to hope they can soldier on without him for the next two to three weeks and that he isn’t slow to returning to his game upon his return. If the Jackets can stay close to the playoff race his return will be a huge boost for the team going down the stretch.
- Report: Leiweke to head up Olympic bid in Los Angeles 11
- In praise of John Tavares 14
- It’s New York Islanders Day at PHT 26
- McDavid on teams possibly tanking for him: ‘It’s pretty crazy’ 19
- Fanspeak: Lemieux (stunner!) voted greatest Penguin in franchise history 39
- Under Pressure: Mike Johnston 17
- It’s Pittsburgh Penguins Day at PHT 33
- Captain no more: Sharks strip Thornton of ‘C’ 47
- Tank defense: NHL changes up Draft Lottery format 55
- Fanspeak: Clarke voted greatest Flyer in franchise history 40