Feb 16, 2011, 12:26 AM EDT
For a dual recap of the Flyers-Lightning and Sabres-Canadiens games, click here. Let’s take a look at Tuesday’s five other contests.
Should we call it Phil Kessel’s revenge? The former Bruins forward scored two goals against the team who traded him (for salary cap reasons or not), while another dangerous (if lesser known) forward Mikhail Grabovski scored twice. Kessel tied it up 3-3 and then Grabovski scored the winner.
Boston is still tied for the top spot in the Northeast, though.
After bouncing around Vancouver’s system and floundering with Florida, Michael Grabner is on the kind of hot streak that could draw some serious Calder Trophy consideration. The speedy winger scored a shorthanded goal and also provided an assist, as he continues the momentum that earned him last week’s first star. The Islanders are now on a four game winning streak, largely thanks to Grabner’s hot streak.
Kevin Bieksa looked like he would be yet another injured defenseman added to the Canucks’ ridiculously wounded ranks, but instead of taking the game off, he gutted through it. (We’ll let you know if he misses time from that blocked shot, though.)
The Canucks followed Bieksa’s example, shaking off injury concerns to beat the Wild 4-1.
Pekka Rinne might be the most underrated goalie in the NHL right now. He made an impressive 48 saves in this game, but was only able to secure Nashville a single point thanks to Patrick Marleau‘s efforts.
Marleau provided an assist on the Sharks’ regulation goal and then sealed the deal for San Jose, as he scored a breakaway game winner in overtime.
It might not be time for the Stars to go into panic mode just yet, but the surprisingly successful bunch should at least be worried. Even without Brad Richards, the team must find a way to win against the league-worst Oilers. Instead they were beaten handily by the young bunch, as Dallas no longer has a share of the Pacific Division lead. They’re 2-7-1 in their last 10 games, pushing them into the middle of the division’s messy muck.
- ‘Could’ve broken his neck,’ says Vigneault of Byfuglien cross check on Miller 7
- Video: Byfuglien gets away with ugly cross check, penalized late in Jets loss to Rangers 22
- Video: Lucic scores late winner, Bruins deal crushing blow to Panthers playoff hopes 7
- Video: Ovi becomes sixth player in history to record six 50-goal seasons 13
- ‘Almost like a game seven tonight’ for Bruins, Panthers 15
- Report: Warrant issued for Deveaux’s arrest following Swedish league attack 47
- How bad are things for the Kings after Monday? 21
- Lightning clinch playoff berth, but did they lose Hedman? 9
- Blackhawks tease good injury news for Kane 8
- Tough times in Tampa: Garrison out 3-4 weeks after ‘pretty dirty’ Abdelkader hit 22