Feb 16, 2011, 12:26 AM EST
For a dual recap of the Flyers-Lightning and Sabres-Canadiens games, click here. Let’s take a look at Tuesday’s five other contests.
Should we call it Phil Kessel’s revenge? The former Bruins forward scored two goals against the team who traded him (for salary cap reasons or not), while another dangerous (if lesser known) forward Mikhail Grabovski scored twice. Kessel tied it up 3-3 and then Grabovski scored the winner.
Boston is still tied for the top spot in the Northeast, though.
After bouncing around Vancouver’s system and floundering with Florida, Michael Grabner is on the kind of hot streak that could draw some serious Calder Trophy consideration. The speedy winger scored a shorthanded goal and also provided an assist, as he continues the momentum that earned him last week’s first star. The Islanders are now on a four game winning streak, largely thanks to Grabner’s hot streak.
Kevin Bieksa looked like he would be yet another injured defenseman added to the Canucks’ ridiculously wounded ranks, but instead of taking the game off, he gutted through it. (We’ll let you know if he misses time from that blocked shot, though.)
The Canucks followed Bieksa’s example, shaking off injury concerns to beat the Wild 4-1.
Pekka Rinne might be the most underrated goalie in the NHL right now. He made an impressive 48 saves in this game, but was only able to secure Nashville a single point thanks to Patrick Marleau‘s efforts.
Marleau provided an assist on the Sharks’ regulation goal and then sealed the deal for San Jose, as he scored a breakaway game winner in overtime.
It might not be time for the Stars to go into panic mode just yet, but the surprisingly successful bunch should at least be worried. Even without Brad Richards, the team must find a way to win against the league-worst Oilers. Instead they were beaten handily by the young bunch, as Dallas no longer has a share of the Pacific Division lead. They’re 2-7-1 in their last 10 games, pushing them into the middle of the division’s messy muck.
- Holland: ‘I’m not against fighting’ 3
- Preds’ Neal fined for diving 17
- After surprising start, Flames sign Hartley to multi-year contract extension 4
- Update your wallcharts: Rangers confirm Brassard has mumps 11
- Video: Coyotes defeat Oilers with 0.3 seconds remaining in OT 3
- It’s ‘unlikely’ Duncan Keith has the mumps, says Blackhawks coach 3
- Bjugstad scores the winner as Panthers, Capitals make history with 20-round shootout 21
- Yep, Beau Bennett has the mumps 24
- (Video) PHT Extra: Would the Oilers really trade Taylor Hall? 11
- Russia’s economic crisis causing big trouble for KHL 56