Feb 16, 2011, 8:39 PM EDT
The Toronto Maple Leafs’ goalies keep getting banged up lately. Jonas Gustavsson was already off dealing with his own issues, but now it looks like Jean-Sebastien Giguere might be hobbled as well.
Giguere left the Maple Leafs’ game against the Buffalo Sabres during the first period tonight with what James Mirtle reports might be a lower body injury. The team will re-evaluate Giguere after the game.
Mirtle points out that the Leafs are now down three goalies and might be forced to recall Ben Scrivens from the AHL to act as James Reimer’s backup. Perhaps the silver lining to all this will be that Reimer could get a better audition to prove that he’s worthy of a full-time NHL job next season, though.
We’ll update you about as Giguere’s health as more news comes through. Don’t be surprised if it’s a groin injury, as that ailment sidelined him for 11 games already this season.
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 3
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks 16
- Video: Ducks score three goals in 37 seconds to take third-period lead 7
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 4 0
- Cooper on replacing Bishop: ‘That is asinine to me’ 23
- Vermette, Teravainen return for Blackhawks in Game 4 14
- Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4 24
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 51
- All eyes on Lundqvist 11
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 12
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (173)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)