Feb 16, 2011, 8:39 PM EST
The Toronto Maple Leafs’ goalies keep getting banged up lately. Jonas Gustavsson was already off dealing with his own issues, but now it looks like Jean-Sebastien Giguere might be hobbled as well.
Giguere left the Maple Leafs’ game against the Buffalo Sabres during the first period tonight with what James Mirtle reports might be a lower body injury. The team will re-evaluate Giguere after the game.
Mirtle points out that the Leafs are now down three goalies and might be forced to recall Ben Scrivens from the AHL to act as James Reimer’s backup. Perhaps the silver lining to all this will be that Reimer could get a better audition to prove that he’s worthy of a full-time NHL job next season, though.
We’ll update you about as Giguere’s health as more news comes through. Don’t be surprised if it’s a groin injury, as that ailment sidelined him for 11 games already this season.
- Update: Ryan Callahan out 4-6 weeks with MCL sprain 6
- Ovechkin wills Caps to stunning shootout win vs. Bolts 48
- Bettman: No decision on expansion, but they’re listening 12
- Neal admits kneeing Marchand was ‘not the smartest decision’ 70
- Leafs captain Phaneuf suspended two games for boarding 37
- Rangers confirm Staal suffered concussion 8
- Winnipeg to get outdoor game; Phoenix wants one 33
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head 156
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller 104
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 136
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (136)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)