Feb 16, 2011, 3:12 PM EST
While the Ducks rage on in the packed Western Conference playoff race, they’ll have to do without Jonas Hiller for at least the next three games. The Ducks starting goalie suffered a setback in his recovery to get over his spell of fatigue and lightheadedness and has been placed back on injured reserve. With his placement on IR, Hiller will miss the next three games.
Hiller missed three games last week with the same problems but returned to action on Sunday night against Edmonton. He made 12 saves in earning a shutout in a 4-0 win. During practice yesterday, however, Hiller started suffering from the same symptoms once again so the Ducks are proceeding with caution. Timo Pielmeier was called up from the AHL to backup Curtis McElhinney who will start in Hiller’s place.
We mentioned it before, but the Ducks signing of Ray Emery now looks to be even smarter than it was previously believed now with Hiller struggling with these issues. Once Emery is ready and back into game shape after his turn in Syracuse of the AHL, the Ducks will have a guy with better NHL experience in there to assist Hiller. McElhinney has done very well, however, while Hiller has been out. McElhinney won all three starts he made during Hiller’s recent spell and earned a shutout against Colorado.
For the Ducks to be playoff threats, however, they’ll need Hiller and after riding him so hard throughout this season, this break from action should help him out provided his condition improves.
- Trade: Capitals land Glencross, Flames get two picks 16
- Flames place Giordano on IR 5
- Flyers keep faint playoff hopes alive with win over Rangers 28
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder 62
- Jagr earns high praise in his Panthers debut 1
- Bruins maintain four-point edge in playoff race, hand Coyotes ninth straight loss 5
- NHL on NBC: Rangers look for a fourth straight win against the Flyers 7
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 9
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 13
- Flyers trade Kimmo Timonen to Blackhawks 41
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (123)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)
- Lindros files $3M defamation lawsuit against ex-referee Stewart (Updated: Now $250K) (65)