Feb 16, 2011, 3:12 PM EDT
While the Ducks rage on in the packed Western Conference playoff race, they’ll have to do without Jonas Hiller for at least the next three games. The Ducks starting goalie suffered a setback in his recovery to get over his spell of fatigue and lightheadedness and has been placed back on injured reserve. With his placement on IR, Hiller will miss the next three games.
Hiller missed three games last week with the same problems but returned to action on Sunday night against Edmonton. He made 12 saves in earning a shutout in a 4-0 win. During practice yesterday, however, Hiller started suffering from the same symptoms once again so the Ducks are proceeding with caution. Timo Pielmeier was called up from the AHL to backup Curtis McElhinney who will start in Hiller’s place.
We mentioned it before, but the Ducks signing of Ray Emery now looks to be even smarter than it was previously believed now with Hiller struggling with these issues. Once Emery is ready and back into game shape after his turn in Syracuse of the AHL, the Ducks will have a guy with better NHL experience in there to assist Hiller. McElhinney has done very well, however, while Hiller has been out. McElhinney won all three starts he made during Hiller’s recent spell and earned a shutout against Colorado.
For the Ducks to be playoff threats, however, they’ll need Hiller and after riding him so hard throughout this season, this break from action should help him out provided his condition improves.
- NHL, Coyotes deny report that team is moving to Vegas 23
- Report: Richards’ border incident involved oxycodone 46
- Trade: Bieksa headed to California — but it’s Anaheim, not San Jose 20
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago 85
- Hamilton signs six-year deal with Flames 18
- Sharks get Jones from Bruins for first-round pick and unsigned prospect 42
- Hurricanes to buy out Semin 15
- Bruins are talking to teams about Savard, but not Rask 13
- Report: Richards part of police investigation 47
- UFA of the Day: Mike Green 5
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (87)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)
- Trade: Busy Bruins send Lucic to Kings (66)