Feb 16, 2011, 3:12 PM EST
While the Ducks rage on in the packed Western Conference playoff race, they’ll have to do without Jonas Hiller for at least the next three games. The Ducks starting goalie suffered a setback in his recovery to get over his spell of fatigue and lightheadedness and has been placed back on injured reserve. With his placement on IR, Hiller will miss the next three games.
Hiller missed three games last week with the same problems but returned to action on Sunday night against Edmonton. He made 12 saves in earning a shutout in a 4-0 win. During practice yesterday, however, Hiller started suffering from the same symptoms once again so the Ducks are proceeding with caution. Timo Pielmeier was called up from the AHL to backup Curtis McElhinney who will start in Hiller’s place.
We mentioned it before, but the Ducks signing of Ray Emery now looks to be even smarter than it was previously believed now with Hiller struggling with these issues. Once Emery is ready and back into game shape after his turn in Syracuse of the AHL, the Ducks will have a guy with better NHL experience in there to assist Hiller. McElhinney has done very well, however, while Hiller has been out. McElhinney won all three starts he made during Hiller’s recent spell and earned a shutout against Colorado.
For the Ducks to be playoff threats, however, they’ll need Hiller and after riding him so hard throughout this season, this break from action should help him out provided his condition improves.
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head 154
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller 98
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 120
- Lecavalier out 3-4 weeks with non-displaced fracture in back 8
- Islanders players hold closed-door meeting after ninth straight loss 15
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand 90
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) 88
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand 69
- Penguins announce Brooks Orpik ‘alert and conscious’ (Updated) 47
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ 78
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (154)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (128)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (120)
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller (98)