Feb 16, 2011, 2:03 PM EDT
As if a seven-game losing streak wasn’t already making life in Denver bad for the Avalanche, today the team announced that leading scorer and second-year sensation Matt Duchene will be out indefinitely with a hand injury.
Duchene was injured on Monday night against Calgary during a 9-1 drubbing at the hands of the Flames. Injuries have been a horrible way of life this season for Colorado as they’ve missed 280 man-games thanks to injuries, a mark that puts them at the top of the Western Conference and third overall in the NHL.
Injuries to players like Chris Stewart, Peter Mueller, T.J. Galiardi and Tomas Fleischmann hampered their offense while losses to Kyle Quincey and Kyle Cumiskey have slowed down their defense. Fleischmann and Quincey are both out for the season. Making matters worse for Colorado is that the miraculous goaltending they got last year from Craig Anderson has evaporated completely as the Avs have allowed the most goals in the league this year.
We hate writing off any teams especially with 25 games left to play in the season but the Avs are 10 points behind Calgary for the eighth spot in the West and sit 14th in the conference. The fat lady might not be singing in Denver, but she’s warming up off stage after this announcement.
- After not seeing ‘eye-to-eye’ with Carlyle, Reimer will compete for No. 1 gig 3
- Two down, one to go: Wings ink Tatar to three-year, $8.25M deal 10
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal 61
- Subban not eager to discuss contract talks 33
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 22
- Gorges still can’t explain falling out of favor in Montreal 13
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 10
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 7
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 31
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 45
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (61)
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (61)
- Report: O’Reilly wants $6.7M deal, Avs counter at $5.5M (58)
- Return that toaster: Ovechkin-Kirilenko engagement broken off (54)