Feb 16, 2011, 2:03 PM EDT
As if a seven-game losing streak wasn’t already making life in Denver bad for the Avalanche, today the team announced that leading scorer and second-year sensation Matt Duchene will be out indefinitely with a hand injury.
Duchene was injured on Monday night against Calgary during a 9-1 drubbing at the hands of the Flames. Injuries have been a horrible way of life this season for Colorado as they’ve missed 280 man-games thanks to injuries, a mark that puts them at the top of the Western Conference and third overall in the NHL.
Injuries to players like Chris Stewart, Peter Mueller, T.J. Galiardi and Tomas Fleischmann hampered their offense while losses to Kyle Quincey and Kyle Cumiskey have slowed down their defense. Fleischmann and Quincey are both out for the season. Making matters worse for Colorado is that the miraculous goaltending they got last year from Craig Anderson has evaporated completely as the Avs have allowed the most goals in the league this year.
We hate writing off any teams especially with 25 games left to play in the season but the Avs are 10 points behind Calgary for the eighth spot in the West and sit 14th in the conference. The fat lady might not be singing in Denver, but she’s warming up off stage after this announcement.
- Vanquished: Isles stun Canucks with seven-goal third period 14
- Peverley asked to return to game following ‘cardiac event’ 15
- Peverley hospitalized, conscious after collapsing on Stars bench (Update) 13
- Sens’ Ceci won’t return after Weber’s shot lacerates his ear (Update) 7
- Gillis pleads his case: ‘We are enduring a challenging period’ 22
- Nolan gets a game for punching ‘unsuspecting’ Joensuu 37
- It doesn’t sound like 3-on-3 overtime is going to be a thing 38
- Blues finish night on top of NHL standings after shootout win 15
- Kings’ Nolan gets double-minor for punching Oilers’ Joensuu 54
- Extended overtime likely to be on agenda in GMs’ March meeting 42
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (70)
- Report: Flyers table ‘substantial offer’ for Kesler, also inquiring about Edler (59)