Feb 15, 2011, 9:26 PM EDT
Every week, Pro Hockey Talk will ask our readers to choose the best goal and save of that seven-day period. Sometimes there might not be seven nominees, whether that be because there weren’t enough great clips or one person received multiple awards. Either way, readers ultimately get to choose each week’s lucky winners.
When people look at athletes who stand out as physical marvels in fields full of physical marvels, some of the most captivating examples involve huge players who possess the skills of much smaller counterparts.
People gawked at the size of basketball players such as Yao Ming, Bill Walton and Shaquille O’Neal, yet hardcore fans will likely tell you that their subtler abilities were part of what made them more than just large bodies.
Considering their unusual height, it’s understandable that some compare Tyler Myers to Zdeno Chara. Yet Myers’ game is more about finesse than physical intimidation, at least at this point in his development.
Myers showed that he’s more than just an NBA power forward-sized human on skates last week, scoring a goal on an end-to-end rush that earned him the February 7-13th Goal of the Week. Check out the poll results below.
OK, now watch the goal itself:
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 3
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks 25
- Video: Ducks score three goals in 37 seconds to take third-period lead 7
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 4 0
- Cooper on replacing Bishop: ‘That is asinine to me’ 25
- Vermette, Teravainen return for Blackhawks in Game 4 15
- Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4 24
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 53
- All eyes on Lundqvist 11
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 12
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)