Feb 15, 2011, 7:53 PM EDT
As Joe discussed earlier today, the Vancouver Canucks face yet another injury to their bruised blueline thanks to Andrew Alberts’ broken wrist. Dan Murphy reports that the ailment will require surgery, which will likely sideline the physical defenseman for six to eight weeks.
While Alberts is far from a high-end defenseman, the Canucks defense corps has been racked by injuries all season long. Joe points out that Yann Sauve will be the 12th defenseman the team used in 2010-11.
Despite these issues, the Canucks are the top-ranked team in the NHL. They seem pretty safe to win the Northwest Division barring a stunning collapse, so perhaps the focus should be on getting as many defenders healthy and in sync by the team the playoffs begin in April.
- Workhorse goalies, forwards from last season 12
- Five interesting players still on UFA market 36
- Trotz will still cheer for Preds ‘like crazy’ 4
- Hextall: Advanced statistics small, but meaningful part of Kings’ success 7
- Hayes sees opportunity with Rangers 27
- Fanspeak: Martin Brodeur named greatest Devil in franchise history 14
- Devils’ Gomez considered retirement 7
- It’s New Jersey Devils day on PHT 22
- Fanspeak: Bobby Orr named best Bruin in franchise history 31
- Video: Bruins participate in commercials to promote NHL 15 6