Feb 15, 2011, 7:53 PM EDT
As Joe discussed earlier today, the Vancouver Canucks face yet another injury to their bruised blueline thanks to Andrew Alberts’ broken wrist. Dan Murphy reports that the ailment will require surgery, which will likely sideline the physical defenseman for six to eight weeks.
While Alberts is far from a high-end defenseman, the Canucks defense corps has been racked by injuries all season long. Joe points out that Yann Sauve will be the 12th defenseman the team used in 2010-11.
Despite these issues, the Canucks are the top-ranked team in the NHL. They seem pretty safe to win the Northwest Division barring a stunning collapse, so perhaps the focus should be on getting as many defenders healthy and in sync by the team the playoffs begin in April.
- Gomez goes full circle by rejoining Devils on tryout basis 8
- Under Pressure: Jimmy Howard 6
- Looking to make the leap: Anthony Mantha 17
- It’s Detroit Red Wings day on PHT 24
- Under Pressure: Nathan Horton 8
- Will Johansen be the latest Overhardt holdout? 25
- It’s Columbus Blue Jackets day on PHT 16
- Shanahan tasked with ending years of collapses 9
- Looking to make the leap: Peter Holland 1
- Under Pressure: Randy Carlyle 5
- NHL-to-Vegas talks gaining steam (68)
- Report: Bruins need to make a trade (61)
- Sounds like San Jose handled stripping Thornton’s captaincy really well (43)
- Fanspeak: Mats Sundin voted greatest Maple Leaf in franchise history (43)
- Fanspeak: Lemieux (stunner!) voted greatest Penguin in franchise history (41)