Feb 15, 2011, 7:53 PM EST
As Joe discussed earlier today, the Vancouver Canucks face yet another injury to their bruised blueline thanks to Andrew Alberts’ broken wrist. Dan Murphy reports that the ailment will require surgery, which will likely sideline the physical defenseman for six to eight weeks.
While Alberts is far from a high-end defenseman, the Canucks defense corps has been racked by injuries all season long. Joe points out that Yann Sauve will be the 12th defenseman the team used in 2010-11.
Despite these issues, the Canucks are the top-ranked team in the NHL. They seem pretty safe to win the Northwest Division barring a stunning collapse, so perhaps the focus should be on getting as many defenders healthy and in sync by the team the playoffs begin in April.
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Ovechkin’s great big year of disappointment 0
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Kings win Cup, Martinez the OT hero 0
- Welcome to PHT’s top 14 stories for 2014 0
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 23
- Sharks’ Scott has hearing for his punch to Jackman 29
- (Video) PHT Extra: Christmas wish lists from around the NHL 2
- PHT interviews Don Maloney, who knows he has a big trade chip in Vermette 7
- Backstrom to start for Wild, who need their goalies to be ‘better’ 13
- NHL on NBCSN: Avs challenge Blues after narrow losses to St. Louis 6
- Gaudreau’s first hat trick helps Flames stun Kings 7
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (74)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Who are the Bruins targeting in trade talks? (47)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)