Feb 15, 2011, 7:53 PM EDT
As Joe discussed earlier today, the Vancouver Canucks face yet another injury to their bruised blueline thanks to Andrew Alberts’ broken wrist. Dan Murphy reports that the ailment will require surgery, which will likely sideline the physical defenseman for six to eight weeks.
While Alberts is far from a high-end defenseman, the Canucks defense corps has been racked by injuries all season long. Joe points out that Yann Sauve will be the 12th defenseman the team used in 2010-11.
Despite these issues, the Canucks are the top-ranked team in the NHL. They seem pretty safe to win the Northwest Division barring a stunning collapse, so perhaps the focus should be on getting as many defenders healthy and in sync by the team the playoffs begin in April.
- Kane’s OT goal ties Blackhawks – Blues series at 2-2 15
- Stars chase Andersen, tie series with Ducks 2-2 18
- Penguins blow three-goal lead, Columbus evens series 69
- NHL suspends Matt Cooke for seven games 91
- Ducks’ Getzlaf (upper body) isn’t available for Game 4 (Updated) 3
- Two years after winning the Cup, the Kings’ ‘mix’ comes into question 39
- Duck drama: Selanne to sit as healthy scratch in Game 4 15
- MacKinnon, Johnson and Palat named Calder Trophy finalists 12
- Sharks beat Kings in OT, take 3-0 stranglehold on series 43
- Rangers chase Emery, top Flyers for 2-1 series lead 56
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (153)
- Bad luck strikes twice: Lightning goal waved off, Stamkos takes knee to head (136)
- Keith doesn’t remember if he taunted Backes after Seabrook hit (125)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (118)
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh (113)