Feb 15, 2011, 11:46 AM EDT
Clearly Maple Leafs GM Brian Burke’s time spent as the GM of the Ducks years ago was time well spent. Burke used that connection once again today acquiring forward Aaron Voros from Anaheim for a conditional seventh round pick.
Voros started off the season as one of the Ducks fourth line grinders, but after battling injuries and ineffective play he was waived and then sent to the AHL. Voros will head to Toronto of the AHL rather than directly to the Maple Leafs.
In limited duty this year, Voros played 12 games with the Ducks amassing no points and a -4 rating. He also accumulated 43 penalty minutes in that time. I do believe that’s what you’d call “truculence” in Toronto these days.
Burke and Ducks GM Bob Murray worked together already once this year in doing the Francois Beauchemin trade that sent the veteran defenseman back to Anaheim in exchange for Joffrey Lupul, prospect Jake Gardiner and a conditional fourth round pick in 2013. Having a good relationship in the business is certainly helpful and in this case for Burke, it’s helping him find ways to tweak the lineup. Voros is a veteran grinder so if Burke feels like he’s not getting the play he’s looking for out of the likes of Jay Rosehill, Voros can be moved right into that spot.
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 0
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 51
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 24
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 11
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 40
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 40
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (70)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (54)