Feb 15, 2011, 3:00 AM EDT
It’s an annual Boston tradition in college hockey and this year the fans saw yet another thrilling game and yet another Boston College victory in the Beanpot Tournament. BC took home the local bragging rights with a thrilling 7-6 overtime victory over Northeastern University when Boston native Jimmy Hayes scored the game-winner six minutes into the extra session.
New York Rangers prospect and Team USA World Junior Championship team member Chris Kreider earned the tournament’s MVP award after scoring two goals and adding an assist in the title game and leading the Eagles to their 16th Beanpot championship. BC has won three of the last four Beanpot titles with each win coming in a one-goal game. Last year they defeated Boston University 4-3 and three years ago they beat Harvard in overtime to win the Boston-area title.
Northeastern goalie Chris Rawlings was a hard-luck loser in the game as he made 39 saves to keep Northeastern in the game as best he could while the number one in the nation Eagles pressured him all night long. Boston College goalie John Muse made just 21 saves in the win. Given how wild this game turned out to be, it was tied six different times and saw ultimately seven lead changes, the goalies roles in this were manic both in positive and negative ways.
Boston College coming out on top while not surprising is still stunning to see happen again as they’re a team that just shows no quit from year to year in their game regardless of who suits up for coach Jerry York’s team. For Northeastern the loss is tough as they haven’t won a Beanpot title since 1988. The last time that neither Boston University nor Boston College won the Beanpot came in 1993 when Harvard took the title home.
- NHL unveils ‘historic’ digital media rights deal with MLBAM 12
- It’s Detroit Red Wings Day at PHT 13
- What does Jack Eichel mean to the Buffalo Sabres? 31
- It’s Buffalo Sabres Day at PHT 33
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 29
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 62
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? (62)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting (45)
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs (45)