Feb 15, 2011, 3:00 AM EDT
It’s an annual Boston tradition in college hockey and this year the fans saw yet another thrilling game and yet another Boston College victory in the Beanpot Tournament. BC took home the local bragging rights with a thrilling 7-6 overtime victory over Northeastern University when Boston native Jimmy Hayes scored the game-winner six minutes into the extra session.
New York Rangers prospect and Team USA World Junior Championship team member Chris Kreider earned the tournament’s MVP award after scoring two goals and adding an assist in the title game and leading the Eagles to their 16th Beanpot championship. BC has won three of the last four Beanpot titles with each win coming in a one-goal game. Last year they defeated Boston University 4-3 and three years ago they beat Harvard in overtime to win the Boston-area title.
Northeastern goalie Chris Rawlings was a hard-luck loser in the game as he made 39 saves to keep Northeastern in the game as best he could while the number one in the nation Eagles pressured him all night long. Boston College goalie John Muse made just 21 saves in the win. Given how wild this game turned out to be, it was tied six different times and saw ultimately seven lead changes, the goalies roles in this were manic both in positive and negative ways.
Boston College coming out on top while not surprising is still stunning to see happen again as they’re a team that just shows no quit from year to year in their game regardless of who suits up for coach Jerry York’s team. For Northeastern the loss is tough as they haven’t won a Beanpot title since 1988. The last time that neither Boston University nor Boston College won the Beanpot came in 1993 when Harvard took the title home.
- Update: NHL wants to see fine system in action before publicizing diving 0
- Get your odds to make the playoffs for all 30 NHL teams 10
- Blue Jackets GM to Johansen: It’s about the team, not ‘one guy’ 24
- Will the NHL publicize divers? 48
- Report: NHL, Epix network to partner on Winter Classic reality series 17
- Habs to play without captain for just second time in franchise history 16
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman 53
- Devils post-Martin Brodeur era about to truly start 9
- Report: Rangers expected to announce captain on Thursday 12
- Snider: Flyers not hiding behind ‘horrible mistake’ of signing Bryzgalov 22