Feb 13, 2011, 3:46 PM EST
If you asked me to compile a list of active players any hockey should see in person, most of those guys would be physical forces who bring amazing skill or reckless abandon to the ice. Yet Nicklas Lidstrom stands out for his almost inhuman on-ice intellect.
(You would think that intelligence is something far too subtle to translate into a live whockey experience, but wait until you notice that the guy is just about perfect. Seriously, I can’t even imagine Lidstrom making a bad restaurant menu choice at this point.)
It’s nearly impossible to discuss Lidstrom’s great 2010-11 season without mentioning that he is an elite defenseman at the age of 40. This video discusses the possibility of retirement – his one year deal will expire after this season – yet if any player can push Chris Chelios for longevity, it might be Lidstrom. His decision making ability creates plenty of space to make up for slowing legs and reflexes, so don’t be surprised if “The Perfect Human” sticks around longer.
Count me among the many who won’t complain if he does.
- Neal admits kneeing Marchand was ‘not the smartest decision’ 61
- Leafs captain Phaneuf suspended two games for boarding 36
- Rangers confirm Staal suffered concussion 7
- Winnipeg to get outdoor game; Phoenix wants one 33
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head 156
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller 104
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 133
- Lecavalier out 3-4 weeks with non-displaced fracture in back 8
- Islanders players hold closed-door meeting after ninth straight loss 15
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand 90
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (133)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (112)