Feb 13, 2011, 3:46 PM EDT
If you asked me to compile a list of active players any hockey should see in person, most of those guys would be physical forces who bring amazing skill or reckless abandon to the ice. Yet Nicklas Lidstrom stands out for his almost inhuman on-ice intellect.
(You would think that intelligence is something far too subtle to translate into a live whockey experience, but wait until you notice that the guy is just about perfect. Seriously, I can’t even imagine Lidstrom making a bad restaurant menu choice at this point.)
It’s nearly impossible to discuss Lidstrom’s great 2010-11 season without mentioning that he is an elite defenseman at the age of 40. This video discusses the possibility of retirement – his one year deal will expire after this season – yet if any player can push Chris Chelios for longevity, it might be Lidstrom. His decision making ability creates plenty of space to make up for slowing legs and reflexes, so don’t be surprised if “The Perfect Human” sticks around longer.
Count me among the many who won’t complain if he does.
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 16
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 10
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 42
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 54
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Report: Trottier to join Sabres’ coaching staff 19
- Blues sign former eighth overall pick Mueller 31
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center 45
- Eric Staal has surgery to repair ‘core muscle injury’ 6
- After not seeing ‘eye-to-eye’ with Carlyle, Reimer will compete for No. 1 gig 16
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (55)
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center (45)
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million (43)
- Richards: If not for the cap, half the league would want to play for Hawks (36)