Feb 13, 2011, 3:46 PM EDT
If you asked me to compile a list of active players any hockey should see in person, most of those guys would be physical forces who bring amazing skill or reckless abandon to the ice. Yet Nicklas Lidstrom stands out for his almost inhuman on-ice intellect.
(You would think that intelligence is something far too subtle to translate into a live whockey experience, but wait until you notice that the guy is just about perfect. Seriously, I can’t even imagine Lidstrom making a bad restaurant menu choice at this point.)
It’s nearly impossible to discuss Lidstrom’s great 2010-11 season without mentioning that he is an elite defenseman at the age of 40. This video discusses the possibility of retirement – his one year deal will expire after this season – yet if any player can push Chris Chelios for longevity, it might be Lidstrom. His decision making ability creates plenty of space to make up for slowing legs and reflexes, so don’t be surprised if “The Perfect Human” sticks around longer.
Count me among the many who won’t complain if he does.
- On carrying three goalies, and which teams might be forced to do it 3
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry’ 8
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 32
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 8
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 44
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 16
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 19
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers (44)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)